Mac Mac updates?

Elligal

Greenhorn
I got stardew valley on my MacBook in around 2021 from the App Store (I think). But now that I have finished the community center I realised I don’t have 1.5, does anyone know how I can update the game??

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Elligal and Welcome to the Forum! I don't see Stardew Valley in the Mac App Store, maybe you bought it from GOG.com and used their standalone installer? Games installed that way do not auto-update themselves and would explain you having an older version. Otherwise, Steam and most other places you can buy SDV from will auto-update Stardew to the most recent version.

If this is the case,

click your username at the top and select Games
search Stardew
click Stardew Valley
expand Download Offline Backup Game Installers
download Stardew Valley v1.5.6.19888... (587 MB)

and run that installer!

Last edited:

Elligal

Greenhorn
hi lew! thank you for your reply, Ive logged into both steam and gog and I didn't get Stardew from them :( before I had my Mac I bought Stardew on my iPad so somehow I may have transferred it over? I may just start my whole game again because I think this was a glitch.

Odin

Staff member
before I had my Mac I bought Stardew on my iPad so somehow I may have transferred it over?
Unfortunately that's not possible, Stardew on the Mac isn't available through the Mac App Store even as an iPad app, it would have to have been purchased either through Steam, GOG, or potentially through Xbox Game Pass. If you purchased the game through Steam or Game Pass, it would have required you to download the app for that service before installing the game (in other words, you would have a Steam app or an Xbox app on your Mac in addition to Stardew). So I think Lew's guess is the most likely option, that you got the game through GOG.

Ereo

Helper
Does your game have the option to start in co-op mode? Or can you build cabins?

do you have an email you usually use for games? Maybe you can find out where you purchased it from there.

Elligal

Greenhorn
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 22.26.57.png

this is all that comes up for me on gog and this is the only account i've ever had, I kind of remember not having to pay for Stardew on my Mac because I already bought it through iCloud and I somehow had it without steam or gog?
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 22.30.54.png
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 22.32.39.png

I checked the info area aswell just to make sure and it was definitely downloaded a couple months after so im not really sure where it came from

Elligal

Greenhorn
my past self was a massive bum and decided to delete all her emails for no reason so I have no receipts 🤧 I also don't have co-op mode and I cannot build cabins :(

Odin

Staff member
I also don't have co-op mode and I cannot build cabins :(
Between not having multiplayer that app icon, that's definitely a copy of the mobile version. That's interesting, thinking back there actually may have been a brief window when the mobile version was available to download on Macs, however, that version doesn't offer multiplayer even now and unfortunately does not appear to be available anymore on Mac. Apologies for doubting this before, but I believe this only the second time I've seen someone have the mobile version on a Mac, and it wasn't until I saw that screenshot you sent that I remember having seen this before.

I think at this point you will have to purchase the game through Steam or GOG, but you would have to purchase one of those version anyways to get multiplayer. The good news is that your saves from that version you have no should still remain available as long as you have it installed, and should be transferable to the Steam/GOG version. If you open Finder, there should be a folder called "On My Mac" in the sidebar on the left and within that there should be a Stardew Valley folder with your saves. Let me know if not, this is more of a guess based on where saves are located on an iPhone/iPad.

Elligal

Greenhorn
thank you so much for all your help! I got Stardew through steam earlier and I've been looking through everything trying to find some saved files but there might possibly not be any, may have to restart my 4 year game 🥲
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 09.29.28.png

Ereo

Helper
Take a look at the controls here, but you can reassign at least some in the options tab.

for your old save files, did you delete the app already? That might have deleted the saves because it does that on mobile. Can you search the whole drive somehow? The file name are either the farm or the farmer name, depending how old they are.

Odin

Staff member
I've been looking through everything trying to find some saved files but there might possibly not be any, may have to restart my 4 year game 🥲
The "On My Mac" folder may not be visible by default, in Finder if you click on "Finder" in the menu bar at the top of the screen, select "Settings", then "Sidebar", you may see an option to show the folder in there. If not, you can try selecting "Go" from the menu bar, then "Go to Folder..." and entering ~/Library/Containers. There may be a Stardew Valley folder in there among many other folders, although it should present an alphabetical list.

Unfortunately I don't know for certain if your saves would be located in this folder, it's just my best guess based on where saves are found on an iPad and how that might translate when that version is on a Mac.