Level up foraging fast

hexnessie

Farmer
So how would one go about getting Foraging level 10 by Fall Year 1?

I wanted to try to get Iridium Blackberries this playthrough, but I'm stuck at Foraging level 9 and the blackberry season is over.

I planted lots of wild seeds all through spring and summer, picked up all beach and normal forage, got the farm cave with bats to get extra forageables, cut down all trees in sight and planted all seeds (and cut down what grew, and so on).

Am I missing some foraging exp source?

Cptldsilver

Planter
Level 9 to 10 is a huge jump from 10k xp to 15k xp. Probably too late now but on your next file just really try to push through more wild seeds and replant all the tree seeds you get. You can also farm the secret woods every day for a nice chunk of xp every day (hardwood stumps are worth 25xp a piece).

You can also use the desert trader to trade out your spring seeds for summer seeds, though at a 8 to 1 ratio.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Yes, just like what @Colleen&Potato and @Cptldsilver said, the stumps are the way to go. I did some math:

Getting a Steel Axe by the first of Summer is pretty doable, so that gives you 35 days before Blackberry Season begins to chop the stumps.

Stumps give 25 XP each, and you’ll need slightly more XP than they can give you to reach Foraging Level 10. Trees are a great way to finish off the climb. Trees give you 13 XP each, so you'd need to chop down ((15,000 needed XP - XP from the stumps) / 13 XP per tree) trees to finish the climb to Level 10. So...

Only chopping the 6 stumps in the Secret Woods: (6 stumps * 25 XP per stump * 35 days) = 5,250 XP, or enough to jump from Level 9 to Level 10. To reach Level 10 (from Level 0), you'd also need to chop down 750 trees (combined with the XP from the stumps).

Just from the 8 stumps on the Forest Farm: (8 stumps * 25 XP per stump * 35 days) = 7,000 XP, or almost half of the 15,000 XP you'd need to get from Level 0 to Level 10. So you'd also need 616 trees.

From both: (14 stumps * 25 XP per stump * 35 days) = 12,250 XP, or enough to get from Level 6 to Level 10 with some left over. You'd also need 212 trees.

If you play anything like me, a good chunk of the supplementary XP would come from devastating Cindersap, and replanting all the seeds on my farm. Additionally, the 90 Wild Seeds that you get from the Pantry rewards would be (90 plants * 7 XP each) = 630 XP; not too shabby.

So it sounds like you're doing everything right, just Chop Those Stumps!

Last edited:
Yes, what @Colleen&Potato and @Cptldsilver said, the stumps are the way to go. I did some math:

Assuming you chop the stumps all through Summer and the 7 days of Fall before the Blackberry Season, that's 35 days.

Trees give you 13 XP, so you'd need to chop down ((15,000 needed XP - XP from stumps) / 13 XP per tree) finish to climb to Level 10. So...

Just from the Secret Woods: (6 stumps * 25 XP * 35) = 5,250 XP, or enough to jump from Level 9 to Level 10. To go from reach Level 10, you'd also need to chop down 750 trees.

Just from the Forest Farm: (8 stumps * 25 XP * 35) = 7,000 XP, or almost half of the 15,000 you'd need to get from Level 0 to Level 10. So you'd need 616 trees.

From both: (14 stumps * 25 XP * 35) = 12,250 XP, or enough to get from Level 6 to Level 10 with some left over. You'd need 212 trees.

If you play anything like me, a good chunk of the rest would come from devastating Cindersap, replanting all the seeds on my farm, only to chop down all the non-Oak trees once they've grown. Additionally, the 90 Wild Seeds that you get from the Pantry rewards would be (90 plants * 7 XP each) = 630 XP; not too shabby.

So it sounds like you're doing everything right, just Chop Those Stumps!
I don’t know whether to be scared or impressed. I’m going to go with impressed though, because if I say scared, you might math me to death. Just kidding. That was pretty neat.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I don’t know whether to be scared or impressed. I’m going to go with impressed though, because if I say scared, you might math me to death. Just kidding. That was pretty neat.
There are a few people here who will Math a roomful of engineers into twitching fetal positions on the floor, and while those calculations end up being things that many people could do, those select few are the actual people with the will, interest, and drive to do them.

Which I truly appreciate because I prefer to save my prodigious math capabilities for counting sheep.

Hill Myna

Farmer
This is really good stuff. I think you left out some key words and numbers. Could you proofread and edit so I can understand the take-away?
Ok, thank you for the feedback; I'm working on it now. I'll try to flesh it out/fix some typos, and hopefully it will make more sense! Do you have any specific information that you'd like to see expanded?

Edit: I've updated my post. I hope I've communicated clearly, thanks for following it up! I'm also happy to revise again if necessary.

Last edited:

hexnessie

Farmer
Only chopping the 6 stumps in the Secret Woods: (6 stumps * 25 XP per stump * 35 days) = 5,250 XP, or enough to jump from Level 9 to Level 10. To reach Level 10 (from Level 0), you'd also need to chop down 750 trees (combined with the XP from the stumps).
I tried it out on a standard farm and was able to reach Foraging 10 on Summer 26, without neglecting other skills. As Hill Myna said, the stumps are the key, as is constantly replanting and chopping. I also grew about 300 summer forage (all hand-watered, ouch) so that helped as well.

I started stump chopping on Spring 15 or thereabouts, missed some days due to festivals and having to focus on farming/mining.

On a Forest farm, it should be a walk in the park.

Sigrah

Farmer
I tried it out on a standard farm and was able to reach Foraging 10 on Summer 26, without neglecting other skills. As Hill Myna said, the stumps are the key, as is constantly replanting and chopping. I also grew about 300 summer forage (all hand-watered, ouch) so that helped as well.

I started stump chopping on Spring 15 or thereabouts, missed some days due to festivals and having to focus on farming/mining.

On a Forest farm, it should be a walk in the park.
You can also clear cut Cindersap, the Mountains, the Train Depot, and Bus Stop a couple of times to help as well. I usually go this route because I tend to clear out my farm of all the trees, rocks, weeds, and other stuff by Mid to Late Summer so I can let the grass grow and have plenty of hay to harvest, though I'll still plant trees in areas I plan to have a grove in and cut them down as they fully develop, at least until I start tapping them. Also, if you're not already doing this, forage up all the forage in the Bus Stop, Beach, and Secret Woods at the very least, especially if it's Saturday and you haven't foraged those areas very much during the week. The Beach is especially good to hit up simply because of the huge amount of forage available there packed into a smaller space, and the Bus Stop is easy to fully cover and loot in a really short amount of time. Finally, good on you for doing seasonal seeds. Doing 50 seasonal seeds a week starting in Spring Week 1 is what finally broke the barrier for me getting to Level 10 Foraging before Blackberry Season Year 1 :thumbsup: