Less focus on combat

I genuinely enjoy Stardew Valley and have raved about it to so many people but the only aspect I don’t enjoy is combat. It’s not fun and honestly gives me more anxiety than anything. I’m on year 7 and still haven’t reached level 40 of the mines. It’s stopped me from being able to reach milestones I’ve already should’ve hit like hatching an ostrich egg. I hope you see this and consider changing the level of combat needed

I'm not sure what you mean. I think Concerned Ape did an excellent job of not forcing anyone to do one thing. It's a game that's all about choice. I mean, if you want to achieve perfection it's required, but in most cases you don't need to go into the mines at all. It helps you, it makes your life easier, and is fun to a lot of people but it isn't required. Once again, it's all about choice and if your choice is not to mine or do combat that's completely up to you. The combat mechanics and required level definitely won't change in the future though. It's part of the game and it's a part that a lot of people love.

I genuinely enjoy Stardew Valley and have raved about it to so many people but the only aspect I don’t enjoy is combat. It’s not fun and honestly gives me more anxiety than anything. I’m on year 7 and still haven’t reached level 40 of the mines. It’s stopped me from being able to reach milestones I’ve already should’ve hit like hatching an ostrich egg. I hope you see this and consider changing the level of combat needed
As WhiteEagle12 has already written, you can achieve most things without fighting. Look for the merchant every Friday and Sunday, try to reach a high level in fishing to get more treasures (always fish in deep waters!).
And if you go to the mines, buy a better sword from the adventure guild beforehand. That helps a lot too!

As the previous users have said combat isn't a completely necessary part of the game. It's just an area to satisfy the cravings of those who are fans of the Zelda or Terraria games and to get a little loot while you're at it. However I would encourage you to try to get through the mines anyways. Who knows, maybe you'll end up enjoying the combat after all!

As the previous users have said combat isn't a completely necessary part of the game. It's just an area to satisfy the cravings of those who are fans of the Zelda or Terraria games and to get a little loot while you're at it. However I would encourage you to try to get through the mines anyways. Who knows, maybe you'll end up enjoying the combat after all!
That's what happened to me when I was less experienced.

Akemisora

Planter
You can use lots of staircase (either craft it by yourself or trade jade in desert on Sunday), and you'll get obsidian edge and space boots at floor 90 and 110 respectively. With that, regular mine should be quite trivial.

Or if you have a prismatic shard, bring it to the three pillar in desert and you'll get galaxy sword and makes everything even easier.

I won't say skull cavern and volcano dungeon are easy though.

Some tips: don't fight slimes if you're not experienced in combat. They can be deadly.

Tom

Rancher
For non-violence reasons, I didn't want to do combat. In my first playthrough (and at least one since then) I threw away my rusty sword (and at that time I didn't know that the Scythe is about as useful for combat as the Rusty Sword). But I eventually got pretty good at eating a lot of food to get my way through The Mines. It's hard to get good at Slimes combat when you don't really want to do it in the first place. But it was fun to get the goodies in The Mines including cool boots, weapons, and rings.

I was really happy when I discovered the Pacifist Valley mod. I don't use this part, but it has a "false" setting you can change to "true" in its "config.json" file to PreventUnlovedMonsterDamage to your farmer.
Capture.JPG
But by that time I was reasonably competent at combat (and eating!). So I just use the mod to "cuddle" the valiant defenders of The Mines instead of killing them. Same loot, same challenge (unless you change that setting), no killing.

To install a mod on PC, you download and install the mod environment SMAPI. Then you unzip the Pacifist Valley mod to the Stardew Valley\Mods folder under the Steam program files folder

Last edited:

FairyRing

Farmer
I didn't like it at first so I focused on other things until I had a better idea of how to accomplish things. I started slow and yes got knocked out. Eventually it comes (just like the fishing) Bombs and staircases are a great resource for the mines. And eventual weapons upgrades and rings makes it easier too. Upgrading your pickaxe makes getting rocks out of the way quicker.

Tbh, I actually have a difficult time relating with this because mining was actually, and still is, one of my favorite pastimes. SC, Volcano Mine, Vanilla mine, you name it, I'm up for the challenge.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Always!

If you want, you can actually probably remove fighting altogether.
Yes! The Pacifist Valley mod lets you make friends with the "monsters" and replaces weapons with less weapony-type things. Not sure if you can hug the monsters but you know I wanna hug the Giant Slimes and give them a big ol' squoosh!

LRangerR

Local Legend
Is there a way to get the slime ring without the slimehunter goal thing?

That's the only thing that could make SDV more perfect.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Is there a way to get the slime ring without the slimehunter goal thing?

That's the only thing that could make SDV more perfect.
There are ways of cheating it in with the item name glitch on pc and mobile but as far as I can tell form experimenting on mobile, the ring does nothing at all until earned legitamitely.
I would consider the modding aspect to solving your problem,
Good luck anyway you do decide to do.