legendary fish vs octopus

pinga

Farmhand
1729441015409.png

today, I went on a fishing trip to get my master angler title. since it's spring so I can only caught these legendary fish (plus slimejack and goby as my first catch).
it's my 8th year and I have no luck when it comes to catching octopus, does anyone have any tips??? or maybe story of ur first octopus catch I heard they are harder than legendary fish!!

riklaunim

Sodbuster
The Octopus problem is that it's only in summer and has a very short bite window between 6am – 1pm at a low %. Then the other option is the night market submarine. Trap bobber as a tackle is recommended as it's fast, way faster than pufferfish for example.

Lew Zealand

Helper
The Octopus is a way harder catch than the Mutant Carp and Anglerfish and almost as difficult as the Crimsonfish as, while it's labeled as a Sinker it really seems to move more like a Dart. Or it does when I try to catch it! I don't even try until I'm:

Level 10 Fishing
have Seafoam Pudding or Dish O' the Sea
Trap Bobber (making the escapes easier to track)
use Deluxe Bait for multiple attempts

I don't think many people catch the Octopus as a bycatch, like when you're Fishing for g for other reasons. It's difficult enough that you need to set out specifically to catch it with your best Fishing Buffs applied.

As riklaunium mentioned it's only a morning Fish and as I'm not a morning person, we meet very rarely. And it's only available during the Summer so Year 1 it's not an option and by Summer Year 2 I'm usually concentrating on the Community Center thanks to the Red Cabbage and totally forget to Fish. While it's available in the Winter at the Night Market, out of the dozens of submarine voyages I've taken (my fave part of the Market), I've seen it maybe 5-6 times. And never even come close to catching it as I usually don't use the Trap Bobber there.

The Octopus is usually my last catch as I can always find something better to do, including snoozing under a tree while feeding the totally Fishing for the chill river Fish.

pinga

Farmhand
The Octopus problem is that it's only in summer and has a very short bite window between 6am – 1pm at a low %. Then the other option is the night market submarine. Trap bobber as a tackle is recommended as it's fast, way faster than pufferfish for example.
thank u!! I finally catch some by luck the next day when I went fishing on ginger island lmao.

pinga

Farmhand
The Octopus is a way harder catch than the Mutant Carp and Anglerfish and almost as difficult as the Crimsonfish as, while it's labeled as a Sinker it really seems to move more like a Dart. Or it does when I try to catch it! I don't even try until I'm:

Level 10 Fishing
have Seafoam Pudding or Dish O' the Sea
Trap Bobber (making the escapes easier to track)
use Deluxe Bait for multiple attempts

I don't think many people catch the Octopus as a bycatch, like when you're Fishing for g for other reasons. It's difficult enough that you need to set out specifically to catch it with your best Fishing Buffs applied.

As riklaunium mentioned it's only a morning Fish and as I'm not a morning person, we meet very rarely. And it's only available during the Summer so Year 1 it's not an option and by Summer Year 2 I'm usually concentrating on the Community Center thanks to the Red Cabbage and totally forget to Fish. While it's available in the Winter at the Night Market, out of the dozens of submarine voyages I've taken (my fave part of the Market), I've seen it maybe 5-6 times. And never even come close to catching it as I usually don't use the Trap Bobber there.

The Octopus is usually my last catch as I can always find something better to do, including snoozing under a tree while feeding the totally Fishing for the chill river Fish.
hahaha I totally agree with the morning person part cause I always leave the farm like around 10 the earliest!!

thank u! I finally caught some by pure luck when I went fishing on ginger island the next day lol. I didn't knwo u can get them there on any season!

The biggest issue I have with the octopus is that they just don't bite! The Glacierfish is the most difficult to reel in for me, but at least it takes the bait so I can try a couple times.

I've gotten Master Angler six times and each time, I caught the octopus on the submarine tour during the Winter Festival. I have never even hooked one on the beach. I usually have the trap bobber equipped, but I have also caught it with the lead bobber. I've used standard, wild, and deluxe bait. I always have level ten fishing when I've caught it.

Outside of the Glacierfish and Lava Eel, I'm terrible at rembering to use food to increase my fishing skill. If you can remember, make it easier on yourself by eating a dish o' the sea or an escargot or something before trying. I really need to put signs by my fishing spots or something...

hahaha I totally agree with the morning person part cause I always leave the farm like around 10 the earliest!!

thank u! I finally caught some by pure luck when I went fishing on ginger island the next day lol. I didn't knwo u can get them there on any season!
Yeah that's the biggest thing for me, to get them I have to forego my standard morning routines. It's also the 3rd most difficult fish in the game including legendaries by in game stats, and it definitely feels like it. Congrats on the catch, and Master Angler!

pinga

Farmhand
Yeah that's the biggest thing for me, to get them I have to forego my standard morning routines. It's also the 3rd most difficult fish in the game including legendaries by in game stats, and it definitely feels like it. Congrats on the catch, and Master Angler!
not a master angler yet!! still have glacier and angler left to catch! I'm waiting until fall since I didn't have the magic bait recipe.

pinga

Farmhand
The biggest issue I have with the octopus is that they just don't bite! The Glacierfish is the most difficult to reel in for me, but at least it takes the bait so I can try a couple times.

I've gotten Master Angler six times and each time, I caught the octopus on the submarine tour during the Winter Festival. I have never even hooked one on the beach. I usually have the trap bobber equipped, but I have also caught it with the lead bobber. I've used standard, wild, and deluxe bait. I always have level ten fishing when I've caught it.

Outside of the Glacierfish and Lava Eel, I'm terrible at rembering to use food to increase my fishing skill. If you can remember, make it easier on yourself by eating a dish o' the sea or an escargot or something before trying. I really need to put signs by my fishing spots or something...
I didn't know that u can catch it on a submarine!! did submarine like 3 years in a row and never catch one. I ate lobster bisque before I caught the legendary fish the other day and I use no fishing tackle.

Ereo

Helper
I usually use a beach totem first thing in the morning to catch it. Then leave at 1 pm to do all the things I usually do in the morning. If you have the statue of blessings, you can try on the days where it makes fishing easier, although the chance to get it within the first three fish is quite low.

Being on ginger island also helps because you’re already on the right map and can just go out to fish in the morning.

My last game I caught it during the first night market but the chance get is also quite low.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Octopus is a VERY tough customer.

Reach Max Fishing level -> Use Iridium rod -> Use the tackle for slowing down the bar whenever the fish isn't inside -> Eat Seafoam Pudding -> Use the new bait which upgrades the normal bait (for bigger bar and more frequent bites) -> If you fail to catch one in the correct time-frame, reset your day

Rinse and Repeat.

Outside of Legendary fish, the octopus gave me nightmares. Other hard ones are: Lingcod, Scorpion Carp, Squid (rarely is difficult but when it happens, it becomes ultra hard), Ice Pip, Lava Eel etc

pinga

Farmhand
I usually use a beach totem first thing in the morning to catch it. Then leave at 1 pm to do all the things I usually do in the morning. If you have the statue of blessings, you can try on the days where it makes fishing easier, although the chance to get it within the first three fish is quite low.

Being on ginger island also helps because you’re already on the right map and can just go out to fish in the morning.

My last game I caught it during the first night market but the chance get is also quite low.
speaking about submarine, now my issue is blobfish! I caught it before on my other saved game but I haven't had any luck with my current game :")

pinga

Farmhand
Octopus is a VERY tough customer.

Reach Max Fishing level -> Use Iridium rod -> Use the tackle for slowing down the bar whenever the fish isn't inside -> Eat Seafoam Pudding -> Use the new bait which upgrades the normal bait (for bigger bar and more frequent bites) -> If you fail to catch one in the correct time-frame, reset your day

Rinse and Repeat.

Outside of Legendary fish, the octopus gave me nightmares. Other hard ones are: Lingcod, Scorpion Carp, Squid (rarely is difficult but when it happens, it becomes ultra hard), Ice Pip, Lava Eel etc
scorpion carp defo give me nightmare!! but I got an easy one the other day (legit thought it was sandfish cause of how easy it was)