Laptop requirements

Catara

Tiller
I’ve been playing Stardew Valley for several years on an iPad Mini. I LOVE this game! While I have access on my PC through Steam, I cannot play there due to a physical disability with my left hand and neck issues. I’d like to use mods, but they aren’t available for an iPad. I’m considering purchasing a laptop with a touch screen. Is there such a laptop and if so, what requirements must it have? I couldn’t find information on the main website.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
You would probably have to map many of the controls to different keys, as most of them assume that you will use your left hand on the keyboard and your right hand on the mouse. Note that PC does not have tap to move or auto-attack. The touch screen controls you are used to will not exist.

I think you can mod for Android; if that is the case, you may be better off getting an Android tablet instead. This will have the touch screen capability that you are used to.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
It’ll be so so so expensive to get a laptop, I would recommend you get an android tablet, android is mobile but it can run all the same mods and is going to be far far cheaper than a touch screen laptop which will probably run you in the thousands for anything that will take multi touch inputs

Ereo

Helper
I second getting an Android tablet or maybe a Chromebook. I can confirm that the windows version does not work well with touch screen as the controls are different. You could harvest etc with touch but you can’t move.

Catara

Tiller
There are laptops designed for gaming and you could probably find a decent touch screen gaming laptop
Thank you for your quick response. I’m wondering, though, what the laptop’s requirements should be (operating system, processor, CPU speed, memory, graphic card, hard drive, software, etc.).

Catara

Tiller
It’ll be so so so expensive to get a laptop, I would recommend you get an android tablet, android is mobile but it can run all the same mods and is going to be far far cheaper than a touch screen laptop which will probably run you in the thousands for anything that will take multi touch inputs
Thank you, I’ll look into that. My biggest concern is my left hand is useless.

Catara

Tiller
You would probably have to map many of the controls to different keys, as most of them assume that you will use your left hand on the keyboard and your right hand on the mouse. Note that PC does not have tap to move or auto-attack. The touch screen controls you are used to will not exist.

I think you can mod for Android; if that is the case, you may be better off getting an Android tablet instead. This will have the touch screen capability that you are used to.
Many thanks. Would you recommend any particular Android tablet? I’m overwhelmed with the choices.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Many thanks. Would you recommend any particular Android tablet? I’m overwhelmed with the choices.
The beauty of Stardew Valley is that it's going to run on pretty much anything because it just doesn't demand that much from a graphics or processing standpoint. I don't think it's possible to buy a tablet that can't run the game. The one I use is at least 2 years old and cost less than $300. It's called Dragontouch and I've literally never seen any other tablet like it, but it runs my games just fine.

From another standpoint, of course, this is unfortunate news because I didn't narrow down the options at all. Sorry!

So my suggestion is that you go to a physical store and play around with what they've got out on display. That way you can pick one that is the right size and weight for you. Those are important, because I assume you are going to be playing the game a LOT, so you need to be comfortable. My one regret with the Dragontouch is that it is a lot thicker and heavier than I expected, so it is not nearly as portable as I had intended.

Catara

Tiller
The beauty of Stardew Valley is that it's going to run on pretty much anything because it just doesn't demand that much from a graphics or processing standpoint. I don't think it's possible to buy a tablet that can't run the game. The one I use is at least 2 years old and cost less than $300. It's called Dragontouch and I've literally never seen any other tablet like it, but it runs my games just fine.

From another standpoint, of course, this is unfortunate news because I didn't narrow down the options at all. Sorry!

So my suggestion is that you go to a physical store and play around with what they've got out on display. That way you can pick one that is the right size and weight for you. Those are important, because I assume you are going to be playing the game a LOT, so you need to be comfortable. My one regret with the Dragontouch is that it is a lot thicker and heavier than I expected, so it is not nearly as portable as I had intended.
Thank you so much for the advice. I’ll head to my local MicroCenter on Monday. (I prefer to avoid shopping on weekends. Ah, the advantage of being retired.)

Lew Zealand

Helper
The Android tablet sounds like a good fit for your needs and will likely be cheaper but if you do go for a laptop, just about any laptop will play Stardew Valley as I even play on a 14 year old MacBook Pro. Windows 10 or 11, any Intel or AMD processor, 8GB memory or more.

Catara

Tiller
The Android tablet sounds like a good fit for your needs and will likely be cheaper but if you do go for a laptop, just about any laptop will play Stardew Valley as I even play on a 14 year old MacBook Pro. Windows 10 or 11, any Intel or AMD processor, 8GB memory or more.
Thank you so much.