Windows Lagging in Single player but not multiplayer

crewilson

Newcomer
Per title, my wife and I have been playing stardew valley on pc for a while, but since she got a new laptop shes having issues where her game will be quite laggy in single player. everything seems just fine when we do coop, which seems very odd.

specs on her laptop
Windows 11 Home
Ryzen 7 7730U
16GB Ram

Its worth noting, all specs are upgrades from both her old laptop and mine. She is the one that hosts the multiplayer games, though I'm not sure why that would matter. I have tried setting the process priority to high, and tried changing core affinity, per a couple other posts I found by searching.

Does anyone have any Ideas why multiplayer would run smooth, but not single player?

Update 1: she normally plays with an xbox controller connected to the computer wirelessly. I just had her play with mouse and keyboard instead and it seems to have fixed the issue. So it seems related to the controller, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why this would be an issue in single player but not multiplayer. Any thoughts on that?

Update 2: I reconnected the controller with a usb cord instead of the Bluetooth, this also seems to have fixed the issue, so it must be something to do with the Bluetooth. Still confused about why it would be limited to single player though.

Last edited:

LindiTheWyvern

Greenhorn
I actually found the issue to why my game was suddenly lagging severly due to your post...it seems to be the fact that the game is starting with a controller connected (which is incredibly odd because this has literally never happened before today)

I had just added more mods and thought it might be one of the newest mods causing the lag, but then it still lagged when I opened it without mods.

It seems to be fine if I boot the game up first and then connect the controller. I use a wired RedDragon if that helps at all.

EDIT:
It seems I (sortof) fixed the issue on my end. In Steam, I opened the Stardew Valley properties, and under 'Controller' picked 'Enable Steam Input' on the override setting.
Doesn't work when I open it via Stardrop/SMAPI for some reason, in fact, the setting appears to disable to contoller instead :sweat:

Last edited: