joja theories

Boo1972

Farmer
:wink: Well, I’m not sure who started it, but I have a story about JoJa I use when I’m playing. My main character was recruited to the military after high school. She Was on active duty for a couple of years and then went to work for JoJa. She became part of a group that found evidence implicating JoJa in starting the war to establish a world wide monopoly. After her group failed to expose the truth she fled to Stardew valley, only to find a JoJa mart.

of course, I may be over thinking things....

quirmzi

Sodbuster
Joja seems like the nice man's way to world domination. Start a business, expand and grow into different areas until everyone is reliant one you in one way or another, or even in multiple ways. Every year Joja picks up a bunch of recent graduates to have them work mindlessly for a low income. In every family, there is at least one person who works for Joja.
For my character, I imagine that Morris got transferred to the Pelican Town Jojamart maybe a year or two before they did. He was a terrible boss and everyone let out a sigh of relief when they heard the news. Then they get here and see him again, much to their displeasure. Completing the community center is a petty act of revenge to Morris. You made my life miserable while I worked at Joja? Well, your store just got replaced by a movie theater built by magical apples.

Ellajoy

Rancher
Joja seems like the nice man's way to world domination. Start a business, expand and grow into different areas until everyone is reliant one you in one way or another, or even in multiple ways. Every year Joja picks up a bunch of recent graduates to have them work mindlessly for a low income. In every family, there is at least one person who works for Joja.
For my character, I imagine that Morris got transferred to the Pelican Town Jojamart maybe a year or two before they did. He was a terrible boss and everyone let out a sigh of relief when they heard the news. Then they get here and see him again, much to their displeasure. Completing the community center is a petty act of revenge to Morris. You made my life miserable while I worked at Joja? Well, your store just got replaced by a movie theater built by magical apples.
You need to read pendragon

:wink: Well, I’m not sure who started it, but I have a story about JoJa I use when I’m playing. My main character was recruited to the military after high school. She Was on active duty for a couple of years and then went to work for JoJa. She became part of a group that found evidence implicating JoJa in starting the war to establish a world wide monopoly. After her group failed to expose the truth she fled to Stardew valley, only to find a JoJa mart.

of course, I may be over thinking things....
thank you. It gave many ideas for the mod I'll create!

CherryLeafy101

Sodbuster
To me JoJa is just Amazon, but in Stardew Valley. There are lots of references to it in the game. For example, in Pam's last heart event she admits to ordering the statue of Yoba with the JoJa equivalent of Prime shipping. In the beginning, you're working in an office where everything is observed and micromanaged, all doing the same thing, and there's even a dead body at one of the desks in the cutscene. Amazon is known for having horrendously cruel and exacting work standards, so it seems like a reference to that. You can find broken CDs as trash, and the description stated that they're JoJa Net 2.0 software trials, which to me seems like a reference to Amazon's expansion into the tech industry. Morris is avaricious, like a caricature of Bezos. The JoJa Mart could perhaps be a reference to Amazon having physical shops through buying out Whole Foods. So, I see JoJa as an analogy for Amazon, and the story of Stardew Valley as a simplified, feel-good version of our real-life fight against the destructive forces of unchecked capitalism. As for who started it, where it came from, etc., I would imagine the story is similar to that of Amazon.

Anhaga

Rancher
You can find broken CDs as trash, and the description stated that they're JoJa Net 2.0 software trials, which to me seems like a reference to Amazon's expansion into the tech industry.
The CDs, I think, are more likely a reference to the ubiquitous and inexplicably present AOL (America Online) CDs that were everywhere in the late 90s and early 00s. Everywhere. You couldn't open a tech-focused magazine without at least one "AOL Free Trial!!" CD falling out. In retrospect, it was a really weird time.

Odin

Staff member
Yeah, I think the CDs are definitely a reference to AOL. I think Joja is really a stand in for many giant corporations, they're any company that's ever come into a town and put local stores out of business.

Joja sounds like amazon :P

The CDs, I think, are more likely a reference to the ubiquitous and inexplicably present AOL (America Online) CDs that were everywhere in the late 90s and early 00s. Everywhere. You couldn't open a tech-focused magazine without at least one "AOL Free Trial!!" CD falling out. In retrospect, it was a really weird time.
what is AOL? (90s Tech isn't my strong suit).

AOL stands for America Online. It was the number one internet portal and email provider for a long time. Almost every (who wasn’t a computer person) had an email address that ended in aol.com. You had to pay for the service if I recall correctly. Hard to imagine now.
thanks

I feel like joja is what happens after umbrella corporation is utterly destroyed and has to start from the ground up again. What easier method than groceries?

I got enought theories about origins. what about the target of joja? you know, help, destroy the world, something else?
Well if they're anything like Umbrella Corporation, as I previously mentioned, they'll have a twisted idea of making the world a better place. WITH LOW LOW PRICES! THAT'S RIGHT! WE'RE HERE TO UNDERCUT PIERRE SO BAD, WE'LL MAKE THEM ALL HOMELESS BY WINTER! JUST TO RUB IT IN!

Potatoes

Farmer
I got enought theories about origins. what about the target of joja? you know, help, destroy the world, something else?
I kind of feel like they’re just the embodiment of unchecked capitalist greed, the idea that you should be as big as possible and make as much money as possible, steeping on people’s backs without fear of repercussions, and that the owners feel they can be above the law. The idea of moving to the valley, creating a community, and knowing you can eventually create change (running Joja out of town) is an act of rebellion against those who can do whatever they want. I dunno, I think maybe there’s more to it, but ultimately Joja is a company that doesn’t need my support.

Beaker

Farmhand
I think JoJa is a resemblance of: Wal Mart and Amazon, like how most of you guys are saying. It's just corporate greed. Wal Mart sets up shop in small towns. Sure, they offer an abundance of job opportunities to many people but, it also forces small businesses to either compete via lowering prices and when they can't do that, they lose their business or just lose profits.

Keep in mind the way the villagers act towards JoJa is pretty much divided and of course many, many, many of people like that exist...

Shane, poor guy is in a dead end job and just drinks everyday after work (sound familiar?)
Pam and Jodi shop at JoJa because it has lower prices than the local store (people love deals and low prices)