Is there only one skin tone for children you have in SDV?

ArtifactSpot

No matter which skin tone I choose for my character I always have a white child. Are there only white children in SDV? That would be so sad. 😢 I would love to have a biracial child. I love all races, and wish there was more racial diversity represented in SDV.

DragonGwen

Farmer
No matter which skin tone I choose for my character I always have a white child. Are there only white children in SDV? That would be so sad. 😢 I would love to have a biracial child. I love all races, and wish there was more racial diversity represented in SDV.
I think the only one whos kids have a different skin color is Maru which is annoying as I'm straight and would have to make a boy save file to marry my main husbands sister 😬

ArtifactSpot

Bummer. I’m white IRL, female and straight as well. I think it should be dependent on the players skin tone, not the NPC. That’s not fair for people of color irl. My nieces and nephews are biracial (white and African American) and they would be extremely unlikely to have a white child irl, even if they had a white spouse. It does happen but isn’t very common. Maybe something for CA to consider for future updates.

DragonGwen

Farmer
Bummer. I’m white IRL, female and straight as well. I think it should be dependent on the players skin tone, not the NPC. That’s not fair for people of color irl. My nieces and nephews are biracial (white and African American) and they would be extremely unlikely to have a white child irl, even if they had a white spouse. It does happen but isn’t very common. Maybe something for CA to consider for future updates.
That would be nice, maybe change your forum to game suggestions? Then maybe he would senit (I personally think it should be a mix of you and your spouses skin tones so they look like both of you)

nicodeux

Farmer
Children is Stardew Valley is a nice, though very basic feature.

You can only have two of them. One male, one female. Gender of the first child is randomly picked, gender of the second one will always be the opposite.
There are two skin tones for children: white or brown. I believe they are unrelated to farmer's skin tone (especially as the player can change it for the farmer, which isn't possible for children).

Children will never grow past toddler stage. Interaction with them is limited: they don't talk, don't accept gifts, never leave the house except during festivals, never give anything to the farmer.

They have no other customisation option but for wearing a hat, which still don't make them half as useful as a rare scarecrow or a horse. We can compare children to urchins living outside a fish tank, though. That's still a thing.

Thus, I agree with you that skin tone for children could be improved, but I belive that the whole children feature could take many other improvements also.

ArtifactSpot

@Vibs : Aww :hlevel: Are you married to Maru?

I’ve tried on multiple farm saves but only the white/light skin tone child. I have always loved all of my in game children regardless of their skin tones of course but just don’t understand the variables here.

@nicodeux and @DragonGwen Agreed it’s an unfortunate aspect of the family simulation portion of the game. I really guess I’m just overthinking it here anyways as I think being first a farming only game that didn’t have a marriage aspect, CA kept his developmental focus on the farming aspect of the game, the family life seems to be meant as more of an added bonus to play through. It’s still a bummer though and unfair to persons of color that they aren’t better represented throughout the game. Also I’d love the children to be as interactive as other NPCs in the game. I love children irl and it would be fun for others to experience them as a more fun and interactive aspect of the marriage portion of the game. But I’m still loving this game anyways and love all of my in game children regardless of their skin tone or inability to age, talk to or interact with my farmer anymore than my in game pet can. Again, being developed as a farming simulator it excels at those things and is nice that CA tried his best to add in this bonus in game feature for added depth and fun. ☺

Quirinea

Farmer
Actually if you have a child in hetero marriage, the skin colour should be something between the parents'. For an adopted child it should be random! Although if Stardew Valley's population is representative of the Ferngill Republic in general, the majority should be white. (6 % of the people -- not counting the farmer are POC (Demetrius and Maru) -- or 9 % if we count Sebastian as half oriental -- one could imagine he is that.
Unless there's more mixed population where Robin and Demetrius have come from?