Question Is it possible to have both SMAPI 3.18.6 and SMAPI 4.0.8+ installed on the same computer at the same time?

So I'd love to start a new game of version 1.6 soon as the creators of many of the MODs that I play with have now come out with 1.6-compatible updates soon. For that, I would need SMAPI 4.08+. However, once I do, I could see myself wanting to revisit one of my older farms (my current 1.5.6 Stardew Expanded playthrough) for nostalgic purposes. For that, I would need SMAPI 3.18.6.

I already have all the Stardew 1.5.6 files copied in 2 different folders on my hard drive. So would it be possible to have both SMAPI 3.18.6 and SMAPI 4.0.8+ installed on the same computer at the same time and for them to both work?

Dyanosis

Tiller
The only way I see that working is if you have 2 installations of SDV with 2 different save locations depending on which version you're running. Keep in mind that SMAPI only works because SDV is installed. It is not, itself, an executable that will run SDV with no other files installed.

The other problem you'll run into is that some mods, like SpaceCore, modify your save game. So you'd also need to have the old files of the mods that you ran with that version of the game along with the new. Depending on what mods you're running and how many you're running, that's going to be one hell of a lot of upkeep.

Dyanosis

Tiller
It's either that or you uninstall 4.x and install 3.18.6 when you want to see one of your old farms.

But honestly? 1.6 is the thing that's out now. 1.5.6 is not meant to be played any longer so trying to keep that going in any sense is probably not worth the trouble. I know that for some people, that means losing 50+ hours of gameplay (or more, based on your name and riddle)... but nothing was meant to last.

The only way I see that working is if you have 2 installations of SDV with 2 different save locations depending on which version you're running. Keep in mind that SMAPI only works because SDV is installed. It is not, itself, an executable that will run SDV with no other files installed.

The other problem you'll run into is that some mods, like SpaceCore, modify your save game. So you'd also need to have the old files of the mods that you ran with that version of the game along with the new. Depending on what mods you're running and how many you're running, that's going to be one hell of a lot of upkeep.
Check and check. I have 2 different directories which are currently copies of SDV 1.5.6. I have not yet upgraded my main directory to 1.6+. Once I do update my main Stardew directory to1.6, the other directory will never be touched. Backup files have already been made for my most recent SDV Expanded save.

Dyanosis

Tiller
Good luck with your endeavor. I, personally, wouldn't go through the trouble. 1.6 added stuff but really didn't change a whole lot about what the game is actually about. To each their own though!

It's either that or you uninstall 4.x and install 3.18.6 when you want to see one of your old farms.

But honestly? 1.6 is the thing that's out now. 1.5.6 is not meant to be played any longer so trying to keep that going in any sense is probably not worth the trouble. I know that for some people, that means losing 50+ hours of gameplay (or more, based on your name and riddle)... but nothing was meant to last.
Yes, I would be missing out on a lot by NOT restarting my current Stardew Expanded game -- especially since I did not start that one with Ridgeside Village -- as I would be missing out on a lot of the new features in version 1.6 that were designed to be found out by starting a new game. Granted, once I do start the new iteration of version 1.6 + Expanded + Ridgeside + (potentially) Xtardew, I will never have a desire to go back to my 1.5.6 save and try to "finish what it was trying to accomplish" as that experience would feel empty compared to all the new experiences that ConcernedApe and potentially FlashShifter -- if I were to wait for a few months, per se, then the latest SDV Expanded update might have made Castle Village a thing -- and perhaps the author of Ridgeside Village have or will have made for us to delight in.

I just want to be able to "go back in time" and look at "the good old days" at some point -- you know, back before "Iridium Scythes" and "Advanced Iridium Fishing Rods" were a thing.

Dyanosis

Tiller
I understand, I'm just saying that's going to be odd to keep both versions on your PC at the same time.