install on linux.sh permission denied

alyxmewo

Cowpoke
can someone please help, im trying to get mods on my chromebook (i downloaded stardew through steam) but everytime i try to run the install on linux.sh file it says permission denied (i have Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) if that helps)
Screenshot 2023-03-18 17.30.23.png

Quirinea

Farmer
Try to give the command "chmod 751 install\ on\ Linux.sh" in that directory and rerun the install.
If that won't work try the same with "sudo" (it should ask your password and execute).
That gives owner all the permissons, group read and execute permissions and everybody execute permission.

(check what you have there with ls -l -- you should be the owner -- something odd, as the permissions should be correct after download)

This is what I see:
laura@Claudius:~/Pelit/smapi/SMAPI 3.18.2 installer for developers$ ls -l
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 laura laura 64 tammi 9 11:15 'install on Linux.sh'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 laura laura 107 tammi 9 11:15 'install on macOS.command'
-rw-r--r-- 1 laura laura 1223 tammi 9 11:15 'install on Windows.bat'
drwxrwxr-x 5 laura laura 4096 tammi 9 11:15 internal
-rw-r--r-- 1 laura laura 2267 tammi 9 11:15 README.txt
laura@Claudius:~/Pelit/smapi/SMAPI 3.18.2 installer for developers$

batknight46

Newcomer
Try to give the command "chmod 751 install\ on\ Linux.sh" in that directory and rerun the install.
If that won't work try the same with "sudo" (it should ask your password and execute).
That gives owner all the permissons, group read and execute permissions and everybody execute permission.

(check what you have there with ls -l -- you should be the owner -- something odd, as the permissions should be correct after download)

This is what I see:
laura@Claudius:~/Pelit/smapi/SMAPI 3.18.2 installer for developers$ ls -l
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 laura laura 64 tammi 9 11:15 'install on Linux.sh'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 laura laura 107 tammi 9 11:15 'install on macOS.command'
-rw-r--r-- 1 laura laura 1223 tammi 9 11:15 'install on Windows.bat'
drwxrwxr-x 5 laura laura 4096 tammi 9 11:15 internal
-rw-r--r-- 1 laura laura 2267 tammi 9 11:15 README.txt
laura@Claudius:~/Pelit/smapi/SMAPI 3.18.2 installer for developers$
did that and it still shows permission denied

Quirinea

Farmer
That's really odd. The contents of that script are very simple:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

cd "`dirname "$0"`"
internal/linux/SMAPI.Installer

The env is commented out, and then it seems to fire at that cd command ???

(I'm at loss, maybe someone who knows more about those technicalities can answer)
You should not need sudo to run that...

Abizamarim

Newcomer
I know this was months ago, but in case anyone else has this issue, do either of these things to install an .sh on GNU/Linux:

Open terminal in the directory/folder wherein is your Stardew Valley installer.

Type: chmod a+x [name of installer].sh
Then hit "enter"
Type: ./[name of installer].sh

OR
Type: bash [name of installer].sh
Then hit "enter"

In either case, after you type the first commands, you can also type the first couple of letters of the installer and then hit "Tab" and it should autofill.

Let me know if there are any issues.

I don't even know how to mod I'm still tryna figure it out bruh what I'm on chromebook if that helps, I got it from Google play store

Genriu Keeper

Greenhorn
I know this was months ago, but in case anyone else has this issue, do either of these things to install an .sh on GNU/Linux:

Open terminal in the directory/folder wherein is your Stardew Valley installer.

Type: chmod a+x [name of installer].sh
Then hit "enter"
Type: ./[name of installer].sh

OR
Type: bash [name of installer].sh
Then hit "enter"

In either case, after you type the first commands, you can also type the first couple of letters of the installer and then hit "Tab" and it should autofill.

Let me know if there are any issues.
What would go in the [name of installer] space and how would I find it? I've tried the user@name format, I've tried the full "whoami" return, and I don't know what part I'm doing wrong. Very new user here.