Inquiry Regarding Weed Spawning (late game spoilers)

Salty1

Planter
So, my first experiences with Ginger Island were on an old farm where I already had the golden clock. Made Ginger Island feel super amazing and perhaps a little too good of a late game addition.

On my new farm, I'd been really looking forward to getting things set up and spread out there, except for one significant difference from my other save - weeds.

I can clear out every single weed on the western side of the island where the sleeping hut is, but more will just spawn overnight. Sometimes none - sometimes a few - sometimes as many as twenty. I can't stay away from ginger island for more than a day before getting messages about weeds destroying my crops. So my questions are:

∙ Is this supposed to be normal for Ginger Island?
∙ Was it my golden clock that was stopping this behaviour on my previous farm, and that's why my experience is so different?

I even tried fencing the crops in, but the weeds just spawn inside the fenced area. No dice. Seems sad now that I got used to it being the way it was on my previous farm, but I guess if it carries these risks then the greenhouse is still pretty relevant. Not totally sure how to feel right now about it otherwise.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yes, this is typical behavior. Yes, the golden clock is why you're having a different experience this time. Yes, weeds on the island are maddening and I avoid planting too much out there for this reason, until I get the clock.

Elenna101

Farmer
I think it might help if you have more space covered in crops or flooring? I have basically my whole island covered and I only get weeds spawning on the couple open spots to the left of the bridges, maybe once every couple of weeks. Maybe try putting a bunch of flooring around your crops? I don't think weeds can actually spawn where flooring is. It can destroy the flooring, but if you put a bunch around your crops that should at least give you some more time before having to deal with it.

Salty1

Planter
I think it might help if you have more space covered in crops or flooring? I have basically my whole island covered and I only get weeds spawning on the couple open spots to the left of the bridges, maybe once every couple of weeks. Maybe try putting a bunch of flooring around your crops? I don't think weeds can actually spawn where flooring is. It can destroy the flooring, but if you put a bunch around your crops that should at least give you some more time before having to deal with it.
Might be worth a shot - it would certainly be more convenient than trying to do the same with fencing, ha!

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
The flooring around crops definitely helps. I have my island farm full of Ancient Fruit and got tired of losing crops to weeds. I just finally surrounded everything with cobblestone paths. I keep an eye on them to make sure the weeds don't destroy those, but I haven't lost any crops since.

imnvs

Local Legend
Also, if weeds pop up in open space near to flooring and then spreads to the flooring on its way to your plants? You'll get the message when you wake up... but it'll be about the flooring, not your plants. That gives you the heads up to go clear the weeds, and replace the flooring.

Salty1

Planter
That's actually very clever design, since you need the golden clock for completion. It's just kinda nudging you along toward end game! :smile:
Yeah. I was a little annoyed at first, but I'm not even mad now. If anything, Ginger Island felt like too much at first, and like it totally eclipsed the usefulness of the green house. Now that I've had some perspective shift, it feels like a nice add-on with its own advantages/disadvantages and the eventual possibility of circumventing those disadvantages in a really expensive way is a nice inclusion.

Salty1

Planter
Quick follow up post on this:

Ever since getting the island obelisk for my beach farm, I've been making daily trips to ginger island just to check on weeds and try to figure out their frequency. I am unsure if it can vary from farm to farm, but I have noticed that I'll usually get a cluster of weeds show up on Monday, then nothing again until the next Monday. Number/density definitely seems to drop as I fill up the area with flooring and tiled tiles. Has anyone noticed this same/similar pattern?