Increase Workbench radius

1FlyCat

Planter
The Workbench allows players to craft items using ingredients which are stored in adjacent chests (any of the 8 surrounding spaces, including diagonally).

Makes total sense. Yet, with the addition of signs to indicate chest contents it becomes impossible to arrange in any workable configuration:

Therefore, I am proposing doubling the Workbench radius to include chests in any of the 16 surrounding spaces instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

tomaO2

Planter
An alternative idea would be to make a special chest that doubles as a workbench supply, and can be placed anywhere in the house.

I've been making a lot of fridges to fill with food for ease of cooking use. I wish I could colour them too. Actually, I've been assuming that a fridge needs to be in the kitchen to work, but it might be able to go anywhere in the house.

EDIT: *checks* Okay, yea, you can place a fridge anywhere in the house and it still counts as supply for the kitchen.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, the issue with increasing the radius is that you can still only pack so many chests into the space and still have access to all the chests and the workbench too. That's why you can only have 7 chests surrounding a workbench and still us it.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure I need more chests around my workbench. I have a few chests nearby with stuff that I store but isn't used in crafting. All my crafting ingredients, though, I've never needed more chests than the 7.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it is silly that the chests have to be up against the workbench forcing us to put it out into the room and surround it with chests, instead of everything being arranged along the wall like a normal person would normally do in a normal work/storage area. I'm leaning towards tomaO2's suggestion of chest-fridges for that reason.

I thought about that too. But actually I don't need more space.
Alternatively I would rather suggest to have all connected/chained boxes included instead of increasing the radius.
Maybe your suggestion could be an option.

1FlyCat

Planter
An alternative idea would be to make a special chest that doubles as a workbench supply, and can be placed anywhere in the house.
Sure, that could work. Although, I do think chests should be nearby the workbench.

Maybe an upgraded workbench?
Good idea. :lightbulb: This could greatly expand the workbench area.

Okay, the issue with increasing the radius is that you can still only pack so many chests into the space and still have access to all the chests and the workbench too. That's why you can only have 7 chests surrounding a workbench and still us it.
It's really more an issue of being unable to access chests with signs placed nearby. There simply isn't enough room, as you can see from the accompanying screenshot.

Alternatively I would rather suggest to have all connected/chained boxes included instead of increasing the radius.
This would work for my current configuration. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

boyliker

Sodbuster
ik this thread is old, but there's a really handy mod that shows the content of the first (?) item in each chest at the front of it, so you wouldn't have to use signs. it helps me out a lot

imnvs

Local Legend
It's really more an issue of being unable to access chests with signs placed nearby. There simply isn't enough room, as you can see from the accompanying screenshot.
Do you need signs to remember what is in the chests? Why not just color code them?

PorkChop

Planter
Do you need signs to remember what is in the chests? Why not just color code them?
EXACTLY! I have 5 blue for materials, 1 brown for coffee beans and tea leaves, 2 red for food and artisan, 2 yellow for animal products, 2 green for fish, 1 teal for fertilizer and special quick-grab stuff, an l white for weapons and tools.

1FlyCat

Planter
EXACTLY! I have 5 blue for materials, 1 brown for coffee beans and tea leaves, 2 red for food and artisan, 2 yellow for animal products, 2 green for fish, 1 teal for fertilizer and special quick-grab stuff, an l white for weapons and tools.
Okay, you're both right. Colour coding is a good enough solution. But having a label certainly helps.

Fortunately the Increase workbench radius mod solves this problem:

ik this thread is old, but there's a really handy mod that shows the content of the first (?) item in each chest at the front of it, so you wouldn't have to use signs. it helps me out a lot
Thanks for the advice. Would you be referring to this mod?:

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
For what it's worth i get by just fine with 5 chests in my current save (all color coded and sorted by function). The goal is to get the workbench so I can make one of everything at least on call, even if i don't really need them (since, yknow, SDV promotes hoarding). At any rate, I think the in-line workbench would probably work the best. That or the any-chest-in-room, but that would probably cause problems if placed outside. Perhaps if placed outside they work as they currently are, but if placed inside a house or shed etc, they can access any chest in that current level.

What about a chest upgrade where upgraded chests (whereever they are, but still on the same map-slice) automatically connect to all the workbenches? This way upgraded chests would work similar to the silos which are also connected to all the barns/coops.

1FlyCat

Planter
What about a chest upgrade where upgraded chests (whereever they are, but still on the same map-slice) automatically connect to all the workbenches? This way upgraded chests would work similar to the silos which are also connected to all the barns/coops.
You have a point, but I think chests should be in the immediate vicinity of the workbench for it to make sense.

LRangerR

Local Legend
You have a point, but I think chests should be in the immediate vicinity of the workbench for it to make sense.
Don't Junimo Huts have some kinda upgrade which enchants them in a similar fashion? Perhaps some kinda wizard upgrade (make it cost prismatic shards, now we can have a use for them)? (I'm personally against it, but some people might enjoy the magical flavor.)

hottabych91

Cowpoke
I'd like to have a workbench having access to all the chests in the shed (it's supposed that both the chests and the workbench would be in the shed).
So I can put my chests in any configuration, with any signs, and won't bother about making them adjacent to the workbench.

Last edited: