Issue I think I broke my girlfriend's world!

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
Hello, I am usually the techy of the relationship so I helped my gf download Stardew Valley Expanded. We wanted to play together so I simply dragged the mods folder out so we could play, thinking I could drag them back in and all would be good. Now I am getting a ton of error messages and don't know what to do as she has spent a ton of time on this world. Attached should be a screenshot of the SMAPI errors, but whatever else I can post to help, just let me know! I know it says something about Gunthers file but i have no idea how to fix that.

I found some old articles and they seemed to want save files, so I believe this is whats needed. https://smapi.io/log/8f06c0a1ba6b4d00ab7baa41bf463b7a

Hello, I am usually the techy of the relationship so I helped my gf download Stardew Valley Expanded. We wanted to play together so I simply dragged the mods folder out so we could play, thinking I could drag them back in and all would be good. Now I am getting a ton of error messages and don't know what to do as she has spent a ton of time on this world. Attached should be a screenshot of the SMAPI errors, but whatever else I can post to help, just let me know! I know it says something about Gunthers file but i have no idea how to fix that.

I found some old articles and they seemed to want save files, so I believe this is whats needed. https://smapi.io/log/8f06c0a1ba6b4d00ab7baa41bf463b7a
Howdy, just saw your PM.

Thanks for the SMAPI log, and info. So, SDV Expanded is one of many mods that adds lots of custom data to the save. If you re-add the mods; it'll work again.
If you'd like to play together modded; you'll have to install SMAPI, and the same mods on your side.

Otherwise, if y'all would like to continue without SDV Expanded. We'll have to remove the NPCs from the save.
Instructions below, or if you need help; feel free to post the save here.

The saves can be found here:

Then remove a couple NPCs from the save:

Specifically, the following NPCs:
Code:
GuntherSilvian
MarlonFay
MorrisTodd
--------------
But, I see you're also missing the Error Handler mod from SMAPI; which helps fix some bugs.
Redownload SMAPI: https://smapi.io/

Extract it; then go into the SMAPI 3.18.2 installer/internal/windows/ folder, and extract the 'install.dat' file.
Go into the extracted folder, and copy the "ErrorHandler" mod folder back over into the Mods folder where the rest of the mods are.

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
So when you say remove the NPCs from the code, will they still be in the game to interact with? as she still wants to play SDV Expanded. Also, how do I go about uploading the saves. I am more of a hardware techy, not software/code so this is all way over my head, sorry!

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I will try this out tonight after work and update you if it works!!

So when you say remove the NPCs from the code, will they still be in the game to interact with? as she still wants to play SDV Expanded. Also, how do I go about uploading the saves. I am more of a hardware techy, not software/code so this is all way over my head, sorry!

The error handler seemed to work great, but now it seems most of the npcs have been removed?
No prob!
------
So, as mentioned in my first post; SDV Expanded adds custom data to the save. Saves like this are not normally meant to be hot-swapped between vanilla, and modded.

Think of it like making a sandwich. SDV Expanded adds in some custom toppings. But, if y'all want to share the sandwich, but would prefer it plain.
It's going to be a lot of work each time to pick out the toppings, and wipe away any condiments; to make it plain again.

It'd be better if y'all either both play with the same mods; on her SDV Expanded save.
Or, start a new vanilla save; if y'all don't want it to be modded.
----

Deleting the NPCs isn't much of an issue. They'll come back, but she may potentially lose other custom items.
For uploading saves. Go into the location I linked above, and zip up the folder with the save.
In the screenshot you posted; it's the "Sagegrove_331837484" folder.

Then attach it via the "Attach files" button in the bottom-left corner of these reply boxes,

----
Yea, Error Handler is meant to help with situations like this. It sometimes misses things, but overall does a good job.
If a mod is removed this mod is meant to help clean up the save so it doesn't crash; like you saw previously.

Thank you so much again, this should be what you asked for!
No prob, thanks for the save.

So, I'm still not quite sure what route y'all are planning; to tackle playing together.
But, here's 2 edits.

One with just the 2 SDV Expanded NPCs that cause errors removed. - Modded, but mostly preserved.
And, a second one that does that, but it also removes the custom items I found in chests around the farm. - Much more vanillified.

As an extra FYI; in case y'all plan on splitting the play through among different save copies.
Having 2 copies of the same save in the save folder will cause issues. So, you'd need to delete, or move the old save elsewhere.
And, then copy the one you want into the save folder.

Attachments

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
Thank you, we were trying to play a completely separate world together, this one was just for her and was collateral damage in the whole thing.

Thank you, we were trying to play a completely separate world together, this one was just for her and was collateral damage in the whole thing.
Ah, if she's going back to the original save; modded as before.
Then, as mentioned earlier; all she has to do is reinstall SDV Expanded.

Otherwise, if unmodded; have her use the edited one with items and NPCs removed.

So I moved that edited save file into the saves folder and I am still getting all of these errors, is that totally normal?
-snipped image-
Yea, ErrorHandler or even the regular game can clear the other NPCs. They don't cause a crash though.

Of SDV Expanded; only GuntherSilvian, MarlonFay, and MorrisTodd cause issues when the mod is uninstalled.
This is because their names start with the names of regular, vanilla villagers.
So, you can ignore the cleanup warning.

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
Ah, if she's going back to the original save; modded as before.
Then, as mentioned earlier; all she has to do is reinstall SDV Expanded.

Otherwise, if unmodded; have her use the edited one with items and NPCs removed.

Yea, ErrorHandler or even the regular game can clear the other NPCs. They don't cause a crash though.

Of SDV Expanded; only GuntherSilvian, MarlonFay, and MorrisTodd cause issues when the mod is uninstalled.
This is because their names start with the names of regular, vanilla villagers.
So, you can ignore the cleanup warning.
and these errors are normal as well?

PS, so so sorry for the repeated questions, these are probably so straight forward but i have no idea!

1680317308869.png

and these errors are normal as well?

PS, so so sorry for the repeated questions, these are probably so straight forward but i have no idea!
No worries.

That looks like an issue with the SaveBackup mod. Is that where you moved SDV Expanded?
It looks like there's a folder there, that the mod doesn't expect, and can't delete.

That should be okay to ignore.

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
So the world looks good, but some areas of thardew expanded are not how she left them. It's as if she had played a regular world and made her farm, and never touched those areas. Is that normal or is there a way to fix that?

So the world looks good, but some areas of thardew expanded are not how she left them. It's as if she had played a regular world and made her farm, and never touched those areas. Is that normal or is there a way to fix that?
If it's some more data related to custom areas/items; then it was probably the game/error handler that cleaned it up.
Since, you said y'all were going to just start a new, separate save for multiplayer.

Best bet; is to just put her back on the original save that you sent me:

TheEpicPotato99

Greenhorn
So i switched back to that original save, but that area still isn't what it used to be. Specifically when you leave to the right of the farm, SDV expanded has an area you can go down into, and she had done a lot of work there, but now it is as if that section is a new world, while everything else is normal. Is there a way to fix that? Completely ignore the fact of multiplayer btw. This is a world I will never play on with her, and is simply for singleplayer

EDIT: Scratch that, it works perfectly fine and I cannot thank you enough, you have been so amazingly patient and helpful and I owe you!