I have Never…

Boo1972

Farmer
…played either Harvest Moon or Story of Seasons, which inspired Stardew Valley. I’d like to experience one of them and was looking for advice. I have a Switch and a pc for gaming. The most important feature for me is the social aspect. Anyway what do y’all think- which Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons game should I play?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I know little about Harvest Moon but I did look into the saga of designing them maybe a year ago and apparently the original developers only made the first few versions of HM. Different developers made the later ones and well, those later versions are not quite as good according to fans. I'm sure there are differing opinions on all the titles in the series but the general opinion seemed to swing towards the earlier titles being better.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
You should play (More) Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA! That was one of my favorite games for a long time and I think you can see some inspiration from the game in Stardew Valley. I played MFoMT because that one is a female protagonist and you could court the guys, while the original version you play as a male protag and you can court the girls, unfortunately you can't do same-sex marriage but it was also a really old game so I don't fault it that much. There exists a remake on the switch that I enjoyed too- Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, which is pretty fun though a little bit less charming than the original. I would recommend it to others. I wrote about it ages ago in this thread when I first played it.

(Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town frequently goes on sale so you can definitely get it for a good price on the switch, that's the only thing I'd correct in my original thread)

Was lots of fun. I got one harvest moon title that your buildings had a decay timer like the fences did. If you barn collapsed then 12 cows gone........ Who builds a shed or pond to last a season!!!

I think it was one I picked up for the wife DS cute I think it was. I played the crossover popliocrois after that then swore off the series...unless I find an older copy or played it on my snes