I forgot to ask

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Does your Operation System play a role, concerning the appearance of bugs, or unintended game-behavior in general?

I use Windows 7, by the way. Is it possible that the issues i encountered, were due to this? Seeing that this game came out well before Windows 7 were officially discontinued and i have the GOG offline installer version, i didn't put it in my new rig and play it in my old laptop, instead! Should i go to win10 or win11 environment, perhaps???

ArtifactSpot

If you can afford it, it wouldn’t hurt. I play on mobile, the buggiest platform of all, Lol. It can be frustrating with mid game crashes but sometimes downright hilarious when they get stuck out of bounds, travel through walls, or my favorite is trapped on GI overnight.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I haven't seen your Bug posts yet (I'll look for them) but while there might be bugs related to issues with Windows 7 not being supported, those bugs may be less likely single in-game errors (random quest item doesn't appear, can't give Henchman Void Mayo, etc.) and more likely overall problems like game crashes, visual overlays not working, low performance.

That said, Compatibility Mode may work better on your older OS though this removes your option for playing with mods. On the Mac side, I tested it back to OS 10.13 and it works well, though OS 10.11 doesn't even in Compatibility mode.

Edit: OK I looked and remember your bug post now. Stardew Valley states Windows Vista or better but also states Mac OS 10.10 or better and that Mac info is out of date now so maybe Windows is too? If you can upgrade your PC to Windows 10 it could help but an uninstall and reinstall of the game first could help too, and would be quicker. Which I see you suggested in the other thread. Just make sure to keep your saves as the GOG uninstaller specifically asks this!

Last edited:

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I already made a bug post. In 1.6.3v i encountered an old(er) bug that select few players encountered and mostly on Steam, before. Which is:

Stardrop earned raises energy normally, yet fails to register (both in new version's visual indication in altered game menu and in the checker of save files).

And additional to that, i collected a Holy Blade which has 2 of the new type of enchantments in yellow stars, Slime-Gatherer and +2 to speed... But the +2 to speed was changed into +1 speed suddenly, without me doing anything at all.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
If you are running Windows 7 and the game doesn't say it will run on that operating system, then I would expect to encounter bugs and glitches. It hasn't been checked for those sorts of things. It's pretty amazing that it runs at all and hasn't given you bigger problems.

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
If you are running Windows 7 and the game doesn't say it will run on that operating system, then I would expect to encounter bugs and glitches. It hasn't been checked for those sorts of things. It's pretty amazing that it runs at all and hasn't given you bigger problems.
Is that the case? The game was released a long time before Microsoft pulled the plug on Win7. And both Steam and GOG list earlier systems than win10, in system requirements. Especially Steam, despite its client having stopped working in older than win10 OS, it lists in game windows... Vista! Onwards, as eligible OS.

I use the GOG offline installer version. Gog says in store-page: "Win7, win8, win10"!

In 1.5, i never encountered even the tiniest hint of an issue anywhere and i've unlocked more than 90% of the game's total content, being only few % away from True Perfection. Now that i run 1.6 in win7, all hell broke loose!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
1.6 is just buggy in general, it’s largely an open beta for CA to bug fix before a total release to all platforms. If you’ve looked at the bug reporting page for 1.6 issues it’s like 1300 reports already (each of which with multiple bugs within)

I myself have already experienced or seemed out about a dozen bugs with varying impact on the game (though most rather minor)