How worth it is it to sleep through lighting storms?

HappyPenguin

Farmhand
Hi!
I am a first year farmer, currently in fall year one. On my farm, I have about 30 crops , 1 quality sprinkler ( im not deep enough in the mines to make any more right now, it's the community center reward) scattered machinery, some tappers, and a coop. How worth it is it to complete a lighting storm day rather than sleep through it, as I have done? I slept through a good chunk of summer because i was worried i would loose something important like a quest crop or my sprinklers. I have the recipe for lighting rods, but am still working on the materials to make them. They are high up on the priority list but mines progress has been slow.

chemster

Greenhorn
In my experience, I've never lost sprinklers (or chests or other machinery) to lightning - just trees or crops. And even if I have lightning rods, I still lose an occasional crop to lightning. Has anyone else ever lost a sprinkler or other non-crop item to lightning?

stormy063

Cowpoke
Hi!
I am a first year farmer, currently in fall year one. On my farm, I have about 30 crops , 1 quality sprinkler ( im not deep enough in the mines to make any more right now, it's the community center reward) scattered machinery, some tappers, and a coop. How worth it is it to complete a lighting storm day rather than sleep through it, as I have done? I slept through a good chunk of summer because i was worried i would loose something important like a quest crop or my sprinklers. I have the recipe for lighting rods, but am still working on the materials to make them. They are high up on the priority list but mines progress has been slow.
i usually use rain/storms to work on mine levels or fishing, in year one for me im usually busy on the farm so those are good days to do that

kuhtopf

Farmhand
In my experience, I've never lost sprinklers (or chests or other machinery) to lightning - just trees or crops. And even if I have lightning rods, I still lose an occasional crop to lightning. Has anyone else ever lost a sprinkler or other non-crop item to lightning?
I thought sprinklers etc. did not get destroyed by lightning but only dropped as items instead. Especially if you only have a small amount of machines to lose, you could just check for dropped items the next day.

HappyPenguin

Farmhand
I thought sprinklers etc. did not get destroyed by lightning but only dropped as items instead. Especially if you only have a small amount of machines to lose, you could just check for dropped items the next day.
Huh. The impression i got from the wiki was that they could destroy any tile. That makes me feel better, and i could always quit without saving if it turnes out to be wrong. Thank you!

I've played multiple farms into year three and one into year five now. Aside from crops, trees, fruit trees, and lightning rods, the only thing I've ever seen lightning strike is pathing (craftable flooring). In that case, the pathing has always been knocked loose rather than destroyed. As long as I picked it up before it despawned, I could just put it back. I always use rain days for fishing and/or mining and patrol the farm the next day to make sure I pick any pathing or wood (if a tree was struck) up until I have enough lightning rods to not worry about it.

Draconifors

Planter
I've played multiple farms into year three and one into year five now. Aside from crops, trees, fruit trees, and lightning rods, the only thing I've ever seen lightning strike is pathing (craftable flooring). In that case, the pathing has always been knocked loose rather than destroyed. As long as I picked it up before it despawned, I could just put it back.
I have the same experience.

And even if I have lightning rods, I still lose an occasional crop to lightning.
This one, too. Even 20 rods wasn't enough 100% of the time. :hmph:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I've played multiple farms into year three and one into year five now. Aside from crops, trees, fruit trees, and lightning rods, the only thing I've ever seen lightning strike is pathing (craftable flooring). In that case, the pathing has always been knocked loose rather than destroyed. As long as I picked it up before it despawned, I could just put it back. I always use rain days for fishing and/or mining and patrol the farm the next day to make sure I pick any pathing or wood (if a tree was struck) up until I have enough lightning rods to not worry about it.
This is the same for me. I rarely use pathing so lightning storms result in most or all of the 5-10 lightning rods hit and I lose less than 1 Crop out of my patch of 190 in each storm. Not a high rate. And I even more rarely lose a tree, no more than 5 ever in 1000+ hours but my farm usually evolves to 6 buildings, 15-30 trees and 80-190 crops, so there's not much to hit. On earlier saves, I left Chests and Machines outside and never noticed I lost any.

Even in earlier game before I remember to make Lightning Rods I'd only lose 1 crop out of ~100 in each lightning storm, usually planting 2-3 of each thing I need for just this reason.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Lighting really isn't that harmful, you have so little in terms of crops and machinery that your stuff is very unlikely to be hit, and unless you're incredibly unlucky, you won't lose more than a single crop or something.

I've definitely play the day, if you see any damages at the end of the day you don't like you can always reset the day and try again or sleep through it, isn't worth throwing it away straight off the bat though.