1.6 Update How to skip [1.6 spoiler] cutscene?

LtLukoziuz

Newcomer
A few days I asked a few questions about a run I was going to start once I finished my current one - more details can be seen here (but it involves 1.6 spoilers so care to be taken) - https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...16_spoilers_what_are_some_ways_to_earn_money/

But TL;DR - it's an expanded "imperfection run" (get to Walnut Room with minimum possible perfection, and then waive every other percent)

Today I've started that run and crunched through first month, only to find that CA has thrown a new hurdle to me with 1.6 update - Willy comes at my cabin on Spring 28 (or later day as I tried to sleep through) and goes "hey, I see you're not having luck with fishing, here's some basics and trading rod". Rod I could just trash, that's fine, but the 'basics' is an issue - lvl 1 fishing is forced on you. Technically I'm fine to get one level without increasing my perfection - but that means I:

a) Don't have any safety net in case I accidentally level up something during the run

b) Get minimized on my choices. Foraging 1 would let me shake trees for seeds and, more importantly, coconuts. Mining 1 would let me craft Cherry Bombs (101 walnuts are 3,88%, a single craft is 0,07%, so I do have one craft in theory. Cherry Bombs was one of options I thought what it could be spent on but am not 100% sure yet)

So - am I screwed and do I have to suck that forced level, or are there ways to dodge it without both increasing a level or catching a single fish (for that would also improve perfection counter too much)?

Things I tried and failed:
  • Buy a training rod on day 2. Nope, still comes.
  • Catch a single fish. Nope, still comes AND you get 0,14% perfection (which is enough to force 4%)
  • Eat food to gain +Fishing when leaving house. Nope, still comes.
  • Literally sleep through 28 days without ever leaving farm. Works at first.... until you enter the beach. Once you enter the beach and get the rod, and then return to farmhouse (don't even need to sleep) - Nope, still comes!

VampireCake

Rancher
Interesting! I've done a couple of other challenge runs myself, they're pretty fun. I think I've seen a video thumbnail on youtube of a no xp run/attempt, but it was a little while back so it was probably in 1.5. Nothing else off the top of my head though. Anyone else more familiar with the guts of the game have any input?

edit: have you tried not meeting Willy? Or meeting him later? Not sure how that would play out for the various quests for the rest of the game though. 🤔

LtLukoziuz

Newcomer
Yeah, tinkered a bit more with this after receiving some suggestions, and after some testing, found out the following:

a) Willy won't come if it's raining
b) Or if it's 10pm+
c) Or if you haven't met him at all

Absolutely anything else: By god, Willy will find a way to come and shove a rod and a level into your hands.

So there's two possible ways how to do this in constraints of run and not earn that one level if you wanna stay XP less for one or another reason:

a) Never enter the Beach UNTIL you're prepared to leave for Ginger Island for good and get the Island Farmhouse in four days (not a hard task given the free tent kits that are now there). Once you enter the Beach, instead, the Farm Map becomes something to avoid at all costs. You can still return to mainland as long as you remember to return back to the island at the same day, including festival days (but for those you will have to pack a Warp Totem: Island).
b) Item spawn glitch endless rain totems for a neverending rainstorm ([681]) (or mod it to just be 100% chance to be rain/storm day), sleeping through any festival day. Cheaty, but if going the absolute miserable Jojacorp way, honestly it would set a mood as this gloomy terrible run to do :D

Technically you could merge the two by getting a different type of totem to always keep warping out of farm map for the "almost" best scenario, but that's a bit too much cheatiness as compared to just calling endless rain

ArtifactSpot

I noticed there are no longer skip buttons to not have to watch cutscenes anymore in 1.6. But they come to your house now? Weird!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wait how were you planning to get the money

for the waivers?
Some method that doesn't require crafting, or any experience gaining in any way (the two main limiting factors, of course you can't do other things but those are the two that limit most things)

The two ways a few of us on the challenge running discord have been discussing is dinosaur farming (artifact book makes selling raw dino eggs decently viable and basically better than anything else unprocessed), and/or junimo huts, you can get xp-less starfruit from buying from pierres festival booth for 9 years.

Clearing the farm for both kind of sucks, you have to have a lot of furniture and basically make debris "fight" so to speak. You get xp from any rocks outside of the mines but debris can destroy other debris so you wait for weeds and wood to destroy stone and cultivate the debris until you can make a large enough usable area.

It's also worth noting you have very little leeway but technically do have leeway before you cross over 4%, it's just about enough for 1 crafting recipe (though there are very few that would help without gaining experience to make the crafting overflow the 3% rating). Could buy a dehydrator if you're using huts

It's also worth noting you have very little leeway but technically do have leeway before you cross over 4%, it's just about enough for 1 crafting recipe (though there are very few that would help without gaining experience to make the crafting overflow the 3% rating). Could buy a dehydrator if you're using huts
You could just use the one you get in the mushroom cave (i'm assumin that's the start tho)