how to get another sword without access to Adventurer's Guild?

NerwenGreen

Greenhorn
Once upon a time, a newbie farmer tried to prove himself to the Adventurer's Guild by killing ten slimes in the mines. Unfortunately, on Level 2, two slimes ganged up on him and chased him almost all the way back to the ladder before he passed out. When he awoke, he was back at the entrance with Linus, and he'd lost two things: a rock, and ... his rusty sword.

Since this turn of events did not make him a proven adventurer, he can't go into the guild to ask for his sword back. And no one in town sells swords. Not even the blacksmith. Even though the blacksmith proudly displays his blade-making skills in a grange two seasons later...

Any ideas what he should do next? It's winter now, and he has spent the year becoming an excellent farmer, a decent forager and miner (he has a private quarry on his hilly property), and passable fisherman. He has made it down to level 19 of the mines by avoiding monsters, but has no combat experience to speak of. He would really like to get hold of another sword.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You can either fish for the two rare fishing weapons or just use something like a scythe, I'd personally do the latter as you can farm the first 5 levels for the 10 slimes needed, then cough up some cash for a wooden sword.

Don't worry about the sword now. Get down to floor 20 and you'll get a new sword for free. It's not necessary to engage monsters in combat anyway, so just break rocks to find ladders and descend as soon as you find one.

Tips
  • Take lots of food to heal hit damage, keep an eye on your health bar and top off whenever you drop below half
  • Avoid monsters wherever possible, just run away to another part of the floor and continue to break rocks
  • Make sure you use rocks to hide from slimes, they're your worst threat at this stage
  • With no weapon, I strongly recommend crafting a staircase to skip floor 19, the enormous spiral

Confused

Rancher
Here's what I would do:

First, exit the game.

Second, never open it again.

Hope this helps.

(No, but seriously I suggest you use your scythe. It's kind of annoying... Since it's not a sword, but if you're careful you can get enough slimes to gain access to the adventures guild.)

Jayamos

Farmer
First, exit the game.

Second, never open it again.
LOL, TBH this was my first thought when I lost my sword! But it wasn’t that much of a grind to get another one when I opened the game back up. It did make me think through how I was tackling enemies instead of just flailing about. A good escape route and trying to pin them down among rocks made a big difference.

NerwenGreen

Greenhorn
Don't worry about the sword now. Get down to floor 20 and you'll get a new sword for free. It's not necessary to engage monsters in combat anyway, so just break rocks to find ladders and descend as soon as you find one.

Tips
  • Take lots of food to heal hit damage, keep an eye on your health bar and top off whenever you drop below half
  • Avoid monsters wherever possible, just run away to another part of the floor and continue to break rocks
  • Make sure you use rocks to hide from slimes, they're your worst threat at this stage
  • With no weapon, I strongly recommend crafting a staircase to skip floor 19, the enormous spiral
Ah, good to know that about Floor 20! I've made it to 19 mostly because I got really lucky one time when floors 15-18 didn't have any of those buzzing bat things. They're the only monsters I don't know how to avoid. Maybe they're easy to kill with a scythe?

Sigrah

Farmer
In your situation, I have two options for you:

1) Use your scythe as a weapon and kill the 10 slimes you need to kill. The fastest ways you can do this is either by mining down to level 2, killing all the slimes you can, then exiting the mine and repeating this process, or, if you have elevator access to level 5, take the elevator there, kill all the slimes you can, then leaving the mines via the stairs and repeating the process that way.

2) Since you’ve been playing awhile and have levels in mining already, you can instead visit Robin and buy stone from her to craft enough stairs to reach level 20 and pickup the sword that’s waiting for you there, then continue on with your gaming from there. Just make sure you have the staircase recipe first, otherwise you’ll be out whatever money you spend on this.

Regardless, I encourage you to practice your fighting skills before going beyond level 10 in the mines. At level 11, you start getting the flying bugs and they can be pretty unforgiving on beginner fighters, and the enemies only get tougher from there.