How to discern clothes?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Is there any in-game indicator, for clothes, which ones are for male and which ones are for female?

The obvious ones aside (skirt for girls, bridal items for girl, tuxedos and suits for men, bikini for girl etc), or the unisex ones (some shirts, the luau islands skirt etc)... How can somebody identify and separate the clothes they want to wear?

(This is a genuine question and i mean no disrespect to those who believe anything goes for anyone, or want to dress their male player with female clothes and vice versa)

ArtifactSpot

Most are made to be unisex and up to the player to choose what they want to wear. If you go to the wiki under tailoring and clothes it will state a few that will show a male or female version, that will tailor to the gender you chose when you created the file. Don’t worry, no one here will criticize what you wear or if it’s not the gender “typical” for your character if you post pictures.

There are only a few items that the game assigns a male or female version. The vast majority of items would be up to the player to decide what's suitable for their character.

You can use the images on the wiki to get a closer look at items you're not sure about. There are some shirts, tops, blouses that have a very feminine look, like with a bodice. There's no way to tell without looking closely, that I can figure.

Lew Zealand

Helper
What's really quite annoying is when skimming your chest fulla clothes the default look before you put any clothing on is always the male version. So if you're looking for that top which you knew looked good on you for a particular occasion, you can skim right over it as the one you're looking for is the wrong shape. Slightly less annoying is when you like the male version better but it changes to the female version when you put it on. "It looked great in the shop but now I have it home, ehhhmmmm..... no." This is where the Wiki is essential: Tailoring

Hey, I'd like both versions as an option please! :flower::flower::flower:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
As said before, most are unisex while a couple have variants for both (and I guess there is stuff like the island bikini but my male farmer looks absolute fire wearing that, Crystal shoes and rainbow genie pants so….). The default female farmer is also a little different which the clothes reflect (mostly height and a few tweaks, it’s a tiny pixel sprite so there is only so much that can be changed).

As far as I know all boots and hats are unisex (though the default shoes are different between them) and you can’t even see rings.