How to consistently do things?

BoneMcJones

Cowpoke
So it has been a long while since I've been here, wasn't planned to actually be gone for so long sjivnvifiv In a few months I would've been gone for a year.

Honestly I want to know about how to consistently do things. I've had this trouble for quite a few things whether it be playing games, doing daily important tasks, or just things like checking on forums. Is there any "trick" or is it just different for everyone and needs to be worked on by yourself?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
it's different for everyone imo so you'll have to do some trial and error to find out what works for you, be it a daily reminder or anything similar.

i was very depressed late last year and my friend suggested a few things, one of them being a daily journal and to make a list of things to do, and to write things i accomplished as well. i did that for a little while and it made me focus on healthy things more often and i felt satisfied getting to check things off. if you keep up a behavior like that for a while, it becomes more of a habit, but it's always good to be kind to yourself and to not fret if you don't do anything perfectly

BoneMcJones

Cowpoke
it's different for everyone imo so you'll have to do some trial and error to find out what works for you, be it a daily reminder or anything similar.

i was very depressed late last year and my friend suggested a few things, one of them being a daily journal and to make a list of things to do, and to write things i accomplished as well. i did that for a little while and it made me focus on healthy things more often and i felt satisfied getting to check things off. if you keep up a behavior like that for a while, it becomes more of a habit, but it's always good to be kind to yourself and to not fret if you don't do anything perfectly
ah, I have heard about that but haven't tried it before. Maybe I'll try that out? Although I don't really have journals and I don't really like the idea of an actual journal so maybe just make a google doc?

I absolutely adore the Notion app for this kind of data entry. I love physically journalling with an actual piece of writing material, and that's definitely something that I will never stop doing, but sometimes, if I want a more organised, editable, and polished look for my thoughts and entries, I look to Notion. It's a free app that you can use (you can get premium from Sign-up referral credits) and it helps you organise your day-to-day life using documents and you can even copy templates from other people who use Notion! It's definitely a lifesaver when you want a place to put all your thoughts. It's a good first step, but also being able to consistently show up daily and decide to plan your day out and make the most out of it helps a TON.

Odin

Staff member
I probably use too many different apps to remind me about stuff, but I find the Reminders app on my phone works well. It seems like just about every company makes a "tasks" app these days, so there are lots to choose from. The real trick (for me) is getting in the habit of checking what you've written down or using something that will send you reminders.

DesertBoots

Sodbuster
ah, I have heard about that but haven't tried it before. Maybe I'll try that out? Although I don't really have journals and I don't really like the idea of an actual journal so maybe just make a google doc?
maybe just grab a pad of paper. Each day write down 5 things, maybe make a couple simple? For example, (date including day of week) (weather) (one goal for the day) (one nice thing for the day you did or want to do) (did you take your meds/ eat/ brush teeth/ shower)

If keeping it simple at first is best, something like this, left in a place where you can't miss it (gross as it sounds, the bathroom?) or your favorite chair.

This is a different kind of answer, but, well, I don't. If I forget or don't feel like, I think, maybe that's not something I need to do. If it's something important like medicine, I ask my family for help to remember, or set an alarm reminder. But like, yoga or something, if I don't want to, I just, don't. If it's right for me or something I need or want, I won't forget or nope out. Like feeding my pets, I care about, never forget, don't get tired of. Saying no is ok. Doing less is okay. So basically, like, nah.