How do you manage your island farm?

I am haphazardly rushing back and forth between my farm in the valley and ginger island. Sometimes I buy two boat tickets on the same day!
Do you move your main residence to the island? Do you get the farm and island obelisks as soon as you can? Do you just check in on the island once or twice a week? How do you keep track of what's going on, on both farms?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not really a big sprinkler user, but I do use iridium sprinklers on my island farm, so I check it infrequently since I know everything will be all good and watered. It depends on what I'm doing that day since if I don't have too much to do on the mainland I'll go say hi on the island, but I would say a few times a week is probably accurate

Getting the obelisks takes a while, but the farm/island ones are definitely the most convenient imo! Sometimes I do sleep on the island, but I prefer to be with my family. I'd feel different if they could visit!

Ereo

Helper
I automate my mainland farm as far as possible. Wine is always ready on the same day, usually I plan those for Sunday.

Then I sleep on the island a couple of days, go back to the main farm Saturday afternoon. Do the harvest and wine on Sunday, do any tasks that I left off while on the island like cheese and mayo. Monday morning, I check the quest board and decide whether I want to go to the island or stay on the main land to work on the quest. Once the Qi quest board is unlocked I check both, then decide what I want to do.

The island is a lot less work once you got all the walnuts and got the farm up and running, so until then, set priorities and decide on one activity each day, just like in the beginning of the game.

Farrow

Sodbuster
Personally, I move my main stuff over to the island till I have my ancient fruit set up, by that time I have all the walnuts and the top of the volcano and move back to the valley to get my kegs set up and ect, I don't much care for animals long term so I spend most my time fishing afterwards. Just remember. Always harvest on Monday and turn into wine on Tuesday and that's it

Lew Zealand

Helper
1. Return Sceptre

oh.

Yeah, I guess there's some more, but really number 1 up there is the point of the game. To 1-up the Wizard with his zapping away into thin air in that early scene about the Junimos. What a showman, I just call him the local magician.

He hates that.

The next best thing to #1 there for Island life is the Island Obelisk but that's a bit of a grind. So before getting that, I usually plan to do a minimum on the Farm before 8am when Willy finally lugs his posterior over to unlock his shop. Use at least Quality Sprinklers (leftover from Iridium Sprinkler upgrades) and set up something that takes a while to grow and be reharvested:

Ancient Fruit
Pineapple
Fruit Trees

I usually plant Mixed Seeds as well if I have the Sprinkler space as you accumulate them there and they give:

Pineapple (woo!)
Blueberry (reharvest, so OK)
Melon (need on Ginger for a quest)
Rhubarb (makes decent Wine or Jelly)

As you harvest the Melon and Rhubarb and replant Mixed Seeds, you enrich for Pineapple and Blueberry so it works out pretty nicely.

So I usually end up checking once a week,

BUT

You'd think this would be a safe and casual strategy, wouldn't you? RIGHT??

Nope.

Farglebarging WEEDS will spawn pretty frequently and infiltrate and destroy your crops so you can't just leave the Island Farm be and check like 3 seasons later and expect at least a field fulla Ancient Fruit and some other goodies. No nono you'll instead have a lazy patchwork of weed tendrils laced through with 2/3 of your crops *and sprinklers* destroyed. Weeds on your farm are pretty tame compared to the Ginger kudzu you have to deal with.

Frankly you should praaaaahbably check at least once a week, yes I know that's wayyy to often as once a season is really a nice sorta cadence for the remembery-challenged of us. But maybe making it your Wednesday thing instead of actually making sure Pierre isn't closing the store behind your back (I'm totally not just chatting up Caroline...) is a reasonable idea.

MissDandy

Farmer
Farglebarging WEEDS
You gotta watch out for them WEEDS for sure haha!

Yes I also really only use the island for ancient fruit and pineapples (depending on the file). I go once a week now that everything is all planted and growing and all, and the first million I spent was def on the obelisk.

About those WEEDS. I put stone path all around the crops since they only take one stone to craft. Works pretty well.

Now a moment of silence for all the plants that I might have accidentally let get eaten by the weeds. They will be sorrowfully missed.

. . .

Last edited:

MogBeoulve

Farmer
;-; how does everyone get these things so quickly?!

I finally got enough cinder shards for deluxe retaining soil, but I've only picked up one dragon tooth and zero bananas (I need to fish for the last fossil). Every time I go for a volcano run, my farmer consumes his weight in gold cheese and barely gets enough loot to make it worthwhile. It'll be a while before I get that obelisk ...

ranboozler

Farmhand

I finally got enough cinder shards for deluxe retaining soil, but I've only picked up one dragon tooth and zero bananas (I need to fish for the last fossil). Every time I go for a volcano run, my farmer consumes his weight in gold cheese and barely gets enough loot to make it worthwhile. It'll be a while before I get that obelisk ...
you got a dragon tooth naturally? lucky!!! and i understand the cheese thing. so many salmonberries in my fridge for that purpose XD
either everyone else is insanely lucky or they just did a lot of work maybe they spawned them in
852 for dragon teeth, 91 for banana. just in case u wanna. maybe u dont want to. thats okay :PP

I got several banana saplings from golden coconuts, from worm spots at the dig site. I regularly get crates with deluxe retaining soil on my beach farm. And since I messed up my first run through the volcano by going back inside and dying instead of pushing the button on the shortcut gate, I collected plenty of cinder shards and dragon teeth. I got the iridium from my statue, from grandpa's evaluation. Also I'm year 4 already, so not exactly quick on any of it!

wadethebold

Cowpoke
I just wanna make it clear that I’m literally a truffle away from completing the community center on spring 5th of year 2. My pig won’t produce a truffle. So I’m literally just waiting for a truffle to get ginger island. A truffle.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Once I unlock the island, I’m there for a little while, usually the mainland doesn’t have much to do besides larger crop harvests and skull cavern so outside of that I’m usually on the island.

I set up the farm and house on the first day and try to roll out starfruit and sprinklers right away. Deluxe speed gro is a must and I’ll transition to af most of the time.

Mostly just planning out the days in my mind and having a schedule, sync easy to sync stuff like crops.

Ilune

Planter

invest some time in the mines killing dust spirits. The reward for 500 killing is a great ring, which double the monster drop ratio. Kill the slimes, too, with 1000 there is the ring which save you from slime's damage, so you can laught in front of tiger slimes.
Forge them together, and forge an Iridium band with a Lucky ring, to obtain another excellent combined ring.
Now, with double drop+slime charmer, and light+magnet+10%damage + more luck rings, you can go to the volcano and search and kill as many lava lurker as you can found to obtain the dragonn tooth!

Rhiannon

Farmer

For some of us, Ginger Island came to our games many years after we had been playing it. For me, in my 11-year save, I already had the septor and as soon as the island appeared in my game, I bought the Obelisk for it. And I still have 8 mil in the bank.

As for what I use the island farm for, not too much really. After doing the quests there which distracted me from my goals, I went back to working on them especially after finding how not close to perfection I was. This gave me a new purpose. I need to get further down in Skull Cavern so I am using the island farm to raise wheat, corn and blue jazz flowers to make lucky lunches. I have hundreds now so I should stop but yet, I keep making them. I also planted banana and mango trees just because they were new.

I started a new save for my YT channel and realized WOW. This is gonna take a while. So be patient and listen to the very wise people above who are giving you advice. :heart:

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I don't farm much on the island unless I have the golden clock. The weeds on the island are nutso. In my experience they grow twice as fast out there. Drives me nuts. (This may not be the case, of course, and just my perception.)

I also don't farm much on the island until I have the obelisk to get me there for free. It isn't about the cost, either. It's about not having to walk all the way to Willy's place.

By the time I'm on the island I'll also have the return sceptre, so having the farm obelisk on the island farm isn't anything I'm too worried about.