help with recoloring mod assets

dakaretara

Greenhorn
hello everyone! i'm extremely new to modding and have absolutely no idea about using art programs (i have krita installed though!) or creating recolors of stardew despite my desire to (i have a severe addiction to the color pink and want my farm to reflect that LOL) i've recently come across a lot of mods i enjoy but i would like to try my hand in editing them(with the authors consent of course) to fit the aesthetic i'm aiming to achieve as some aren't compatible with others, or in the case of BAGI some of my mods are unsupported.. does anyone have any advice or perhaps a tutorial on things like creating layers or just any advice on this in general? i apologize if i explained this poorly and appreciate any help/advice!

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
hello everyone! i'm extremely new to modding and have absolutely no idea about using art programs (i have krita installed though!) or creating recolors of stardew despite my desire to (i have a severe addiction to the color pink and want my farm to reflect that LOL) i've recently come across a lot of mods i enjoy but i would like to try my hand in editing them(with the authors consent of course) to fit the aesthetic i'm aiming to achieve as some aren't compatible with others, or in the case of BAGI some of my mods are unsupported.. does anyone have any advice or perhaps a tutorial on things like creating layers or just any advice on this in general? i apologize if i explained this poorly and appreciate any help/advice!
For Creating maps
Content Packs

and everything else

dakaretara

Greenhorn
thank you for your quick reply and the resources! i should have included that i checked these before commenting but am still a little clueless. i'm mainly referring to the artwork aspect, if that makes sense? i'm just aiming to learn how authors are able to create layers of objects to recolor (for example; with ali's blue and pink building recolors i would like to change the color palette a bit) i've looked at youtube tutorials and searched the wiki but i feel like i'm missing something because i'm still kinda clueless about creating layers.. sorry if these are dumb or confusing questions but thank you so much for taking the time to send me help anyway!

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
thank you for your quick reply and the resources! i should have included that i checked these before commenting but am still a little clueless. i'm mainly referring to the artwork aspect, if that makes sense? i'm just aiming to learn how authors are able to create layers of objects to recolor (for example; with ali's blue and pink building recolors i would like to change the color palette a bit) i've looked at youtube tutorials and searched the wiki but i feel like i'm missing something because i'm still kinda clueless about creating layers.. sorry if these are dumb or confusing questions but thank you so much for taking the time to send me help anyway!
For recolors you need something like Photoshop, Gimp or Aseprite (I've never used Krita, so I don't know about its features). You can recolor pixel by pixel in programs with the provided tools (pen, brush, etc) or use masks, adjustment layers, filters and much more things. It all depends on your skills and on what you already know.
Useful vids for recoloring

Last edited:

dakaretara

Greenhorn
thank you so much! i managed to figure it out and im so grateful for your resources!! thank you for entertaining my admittedly silly question <3