Solved [HELP] Game won't start.

Meadowxc

Greenhorn
Recently, I have tried downloading Stardew Valley on my Surface Pro X through Steam but everytime I click start game nothing launches and it just shuts down. I've looked at numerous solutions such as manually downloading xna and direct x. I have also, made sure all my drivers are updated. But this is what I receive everytime, any help would be appreciated.

InnerException: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.FramebufferHelper.Create(GraphicsDevice gd) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.FramebufferHelper.cs:line 32
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.cs:line 340
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.cs:line 357
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 144
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 115
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 123
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 838
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 465
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Could not detect.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Meadowxc and Welcome to the Forums!

You could try to install the Compatibility Mode version of Stardew Valley using the instructions for Steam here:

Your Surface Pro X uses a nonstandard type of CPU and graphics setup which is more like what's on high end tablets and phones (Apple Macs are like this nowadays, too) and this can cause compatibility issues. Hopefully the Compatibility mode setup in Steam will work.

Meadowxc

Greenhorn
Hiya! Thanks for your reply. It does work but it takes a long time to load. Do you think I would be able to play with mods or do you reckon that it may not be possible due to my specs? Again thanks!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hiya! Thanks for your reply. It does work but it takes a long time to load. Do you think I would be able to play with mods or do you reckon that it may not be possible due to my specs? Again thanks!
Unfortunately most mods require the regular non-Compatibility version of SDV to run, if I understand correctly. You may want to post a question or have a look in the Mods section of the forum and even the Bug Reports (Modded) section. I don't know enough about how Microsoft handles the hardware differences in the Surface Pro X as compared to most PCs out there but as it's kind of my IRL job to figure these things out, I'll have a look because I'm curious!

Meadowxc

Greenhorn
No worries, I was just curious as I know the surface pro x is terrible for gaming due to the ARM processer but nevertheless thank you!