Windows [HELP] Extreme Lag After A Few Minutes of Running 64 Bit Version

flickerflip

Greenhorn
When I run the game as the 64-bit version, after a few minutes of smooth gameplay the game will suddenly start to lag and stutter to the point where it is unplayable. It does not matter what I do in the game, no matter what it will suddenly spike in lag after a few minutes.

However, when I run it on the compatibility version there is no issues. I am glad that I can get it to run on the compatibility version, but I would prefer to play with mods. I have tried unchecking the 0 CPU in affinity and setting the game to high priority in Task Manager and it does not make a difference.

Is there any solution to this, or do I need to choose between either mods or playability for the time being?

I have ran Stardew as the 64-bit version on this computer many times around a year earlier with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LL9

LL9

Newcomer
When I run the game as the 64-bit version, after a few minutes of smooth gameplay the game will suddenly start to lag and stutter to the point where it is unplayable. It does not matter what I do in the game, no matter what it will suddenly spike in lag after a few minutes.

However, when I run it on the compatibility version there is no issues. I am glad that I can get it to run on the compatibility version, but I would prefer to play with mods. I have tried unchecking the 0 CPU in affinity and setting the game to high priority in Task Manager and it does not make a difference.

Is there any solution to this, or do I need to choose between either mods or playability for the time being?

I have ran Stardew as the 64-bit version on this computer many times around a year earlier with no issues.
I have had this issue since the 64-bit update, plain vanilla SDV, unmodded, fresh install.

I first suspected the issue was with my custom scaling. I reverted all settings to default, fresh install of SDV, issue still happening.

It is AS IF there is a memory leak in the game. I can see that it's not just memory -- task manager shows ~1GB in memory which is not excessive at all. I have an 8-core 4GHz processor, and at most CPU utilization is at 15%.

Even with those stats, the game becomes unplayable by noon. I am at a total loss for what this issue could be.

This issue happens regardless of farm. If I open SDV and let it sit on a menu, then come back to the game, it will exhibit the freeze/extreme lag behavior before the bouncy text on the screen settles after making a BRAND NEW farm.

If I run via Steam compatibility mode (32-bit version of game) it will work just fine. Problem is -- I need the 64-bit!

Last edited:

Darxim

Greenhorn
If you're running SMAPI and have an nVidia GPU, this is what worked for me:
  1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Manage 3D Setttings
  3. Program Settings
  4. Add stardewmoddingapi.exe
  5. Change Threaded Optimization to Off.
That's it. I tried manually changing affinities, vsync, installing .net framework 5, disabling all the mods, and several other things, but this was the only thing that worked. It still stutters once in the first minute of moving around, but it's all smooth after that. If I turn Threaded Optimization back on I get the stuttering again. The only other thing that worked was uninstalling SMAPI and going without mods.