PC [HELP] Daily crashes on Mac OS 10.15.4

harez1029

Newcomer
Stardew Valley is crashing daily on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. The error message is: "The 'lldb' command requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install the tools now?"

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

TheTreePrince

Newcomer
Stardew Valley is crashing daily on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. The error message is: "The 'lldb' command requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install the tools now?"

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
The GOG support team let me know that my crash was due to my wireless bluetooth controller disconnecting from my Mac, which causes the game to crash. Might be something similar for you if you're using a game controller.
Edit: I should add that they gave me no solution, telling me it was on Stardew Valley's part and SV support hasn't responded to me yet.

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Okay, thank you. I haven't heard of this issue before. This is something we can look into fixing, but in the meantime the only real solution I can offer is to use a different input method or solve the bluetooth disconnection problem itself. One other thing... have you tried installing the command line developer tools that it prompts you with?

SgtPickles

Tiller
I believe this issue is caused by SDL2 within MonoGame, not exactly Stardew Valley itself. The bug only affects Mac OSX users. I have yet to hear Linux users report the issue.

The bug occurs when a hot-unplug (that is, the controller disconnects improperly) happens. At this point, SDL2 now has a pointer value pointing to an incorrect address in memory. The moment it tries to poll the controller, the moment it'll produce a SIGSEGV (Segementation Fault)

If TheTreePrince uses SMAPI with no mods, and has his wireless controller disconnect, upon reconnect they should see the following:

unknown_13.png
[Thumbnail version, click to enlarge]

Within the SDL2 Repo, there seems to be fixes to this: http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/log?rev=joystick+Mac
So the fix *maybe* as simple as recompiling SDL2 to a newer version. (Granted, this would need to be tested against MonoGame)

Last edited: