PC HELP! After the 1.5.5 update, my game keeps crashing!

kaekicakes

Cowpoke
After updating to 1.5.5 I've been crashing when I do certain actions (it's not always but these are the actions I've noticed every time I try playing):
- entering farm house
- picking up the gift box in farm house during day 1
- planting seeds
- entering museum
- watering the plants
- talking to Gunther (new)

I experienced this first when I was playing with mods but then I experimented and played vanilla (I made sure to remove ALL mods, uninstalled SMAPI, and even cleared the launch option on steam). I even uninstalled and installed the game, deleted all my save files, just to see if it works. But when I make a new save file, I can't even go pass day 1 because I randomly crash when I do the things that were listed above (for sure there are other actions that I have not tried that will make it crash as well). I experienced this both in single-player and multiplayer. Please help because right now this game is not playable for me.

Game Version: 1.5.6
Device: Macbook Pro 2017
Processor: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Operating System Version: macOS Big Sur 11.4
Application: Steam

Last edited:

Rampage

Greenhorn
Hello, I don't mean to highjack the post, but might as well share my experience instead of making a new similar thread. In hopes that we can rule out some variables. My game was perfectly fine and then when I installed the latest update (1.5.5) I'm observing the exact same behavior as you. The game just went from perfectly fine to unplayable within 30 minutes as I rebooted the game and went through the update automatically suggested by Steam.

• I have never played with mods
  • Standard Farm
  • Windows 10.0.19042
  • CPU: Intel i7-7700
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

GrayMatterMan

Newcomer
I ran into this same problem where picking up forageable's or gifting items was crashing my game all I did was switch to the legacy version (which is exactly the same) and it hasn't crashed yet! Until a hot-fix is out just go to your properties on steam by left clicking Stardew valley, after selecting properties, find and select betas, click on the drop down and it should have an option saying "compatibility - for 32-bit systems. The legacy, XNA version of Stardew Valley." It will update as soon as you select it, all your saves stay up to date and you can play again. I hope this helps im sure a fix will be out soon but if your like me and cant wait to play this worked for me. :)

Game Version: 1.5.5
Device: Dell OptiPlex 7440 AIO
System Type: 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
GPU: Integrated

kaekicakes

Cowpoke
I ran into this same problem where picking up forageable's or gifting items was crashing my game all I did was switch to the legacy version (which is exactly the same) and it hasn't crashed yet! Until a hot-fix is out just go to your properties on steam by left clicking Stardew valley, after selecting properties, find and select betas, click on the drop down and it should have an option saying "compatibility - for 32-bit systems. The legacy, XNA version of Stardew Valley." It will update as soon as you select it, all your saves stay up to date and you can play again. I hope this helps im sure a fix will be out soon but if your like me and cant wait to play this worked for me. :)

Game Version: 1.5.5
Device: Dell OptiPlex 7440 AIO
System Type: 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
GPU: Integrated
Legacy works so far on my end but I'd like to play with mods to keep it more entertaining since i've done tons of vanilla save files for so long! Thanks for the reply :)

DoctorDitzy

Newcomer
I’ve also been having issues with the game since the 1.5.5 update.
Every time I’ve entered town it stutters. Or when I go into my inventory I get a stutter. Same with going into other locations as well I get a stutter. It used to take less that 30 seconds for the game to launch but now it takes 20-30 mins. I’m lucky if I even get to the farm selection screen. Once I click on a farm I’m stuck with a black screen with loading in the corner for another 20-30 mins.
I’ve never played with mods on this game. Hopefully the hot fix for this comes soon!

Jetray

Newcomer
Hello, we had the same issue over here with version 1.5.6, we found a simple work around that solved the issue once in for all. First in our steam library, we right clicked stardew valley and went to properties, then we went to BETAS. Then we changed from “None” to Compatability - For 32-bit systems. The xna legacy version.

Please keep in mind it is not a permanent fix, and I would not load any old worlds on this version because I don’t know what it would do. It could corrupt the world or not load everything in.

so if you use this work-around create a new temporary world.