Hello SDV forums!

userhangaar

Greenhorn
I'm Hangaar, from the Philippines. I've been playing SDV since January of this year. I played on mobile until the 1.6 update when I was gifted the PC version.

My main thing as a SDV player is that I have the stubborn tendency to minmax at the expense of enjoyment; I've been on a loop of remaking saves before I get to fall of year 1 because of this. By mingling with the community, I thought I could learn how others have fun with the game, and that by observing I can eventually have fun with my own farms as well. :sweat:

Currently, I am playing on a standard farm save with 'Garwing' as my farmer and 'Moorstead' as the farm name. I'm trying to lean into the role-playing aspect of the game to dampen my minmaxing, so I made Garwing a retiring evil warlock for her extended backstory. :owo:

This is my second rodeo at joining a SDV community. I found Reddit too turbulent and I hope I can have a better experience here. See you around, everyone! :toothy:

Flutterdoc

Sodbuster
I'm Hangaar, from the Philippines. I've been playing SDV since January of this year. I played on mobile until the 1.6 update when I was gifted the PC version.

My main thing as a SDV player is that I have the stubborn tendency to minmax at the expense of enjoyment; I've been on a loop of remaking saves before I get to fall of year 1 because of this. By mingling with the community, I thought I could learn how others have fun with the game, and that by observing I can eventually have fun with my own farms as well. :sweat:

Currently, I am playing on a standard farm save with 'Garwing' as my farmer and 'Moorstead' as the farm name. I'm trying to lean into the role-playing aspect of the game to dampen my minmaxing, so I made Garwing a retiring evil warlock for her extended backstory. :owo:

This is my second rodeo at joining a SDV community. I found Reddit too turbulent and I hope I can have a better experience here. See you around, everyone! :toothy:
welcome in dawg! have a wonderful time here!

Lew Zealand

Helper

My main thing as a SDV player is that I have the stubborn tendency to minmax at the expense of enjoyment...
Hi userhangaar and Welcome to the Forums! I have the stubborn tendency not to minmax because I forget what's best and am generally too lazy to follow through properly. So we're like oppositely the same! Have fun, there are a lot of cool people here with different perspectives on gameplay and lotsa other things.

DragonGwen

Farmer
My recommendation for roleplay is to just focus on getting to be friends with everyone and completely ignoring your farm until you've got all the people you want at max hearts.
I hit 14 years in my main save this year and now there's lore and a encyclopedia that spans a few pages in my drawing book, so don't ever think you can't rp.
It takes a bit, but can be really fun.

userhangaar

Greenhorn
Flutterdoc said:
welcome in dawg! have a wonderful time here!
Lew Zealand said:
Hi userhangaar and Welcome to the Forums! I have the stubborn tendency not to minmax because I forget what's best and am generally too lazy to follow through properly. So we're like oppositely the same! Have fun, there are a lot of cool people here with different perspectives on gameplay and lotsa other things.
Thanks for the welcome and solidarity!

My recommendation for roleplay is to just focus on getting to be friends with everyone and completely ignoring your farm until you've got all the people you want at max hearts.
I hit 14 years in my main save this year and now there's lore and a encyclopedia that spans a few pages in my drawing book, so don't ever think you can't rp.
Not tending to the farm is a little much for me, but having a RP game journal of sorts is a cool idea. I was thinking of making a character sheet just for my farmer; I'll now feature the villagers too. Cheers and I hope you keep having fun! :toothy:

Confused

Rancher
Welcome! It's great to have you! :3

For any new playthrough with a farmer OC, I recommend making friends with all the characters your farmer, 'Garwing', would most likely befriend first. For example, since Garwing is a retired warlock, maybe she'd be interested in what the resident Stardew Valley Wizard is like. :wizard:

Or maybe, because their evil, they'd wanna be friends with Haley. :haley:

Either way, I hope you enjoy the forums!

DragonGwen

Farmer
Not tending to the farm is a little much for me, but having a RP game journal of sorts is a cool idea. I was thinking of making a character sheet just for my farmer; I'll now feature the villagers too. Cheers and I hope you keep having fun! :toothy:
I just made a entire extended family for my OC, extra kids, and have Sebastian a middle name and last name.
I just did like a personality, appearance, relationships, and likes.
It gets the character across and I don't have to draw terribly.

stardew_luv

Planter
Yes the game is listed as an RPG even before farming simulator. Like Dragon Gwen I just go around talking to people, hearing all the dialogue and stories of each one. Share moments of literal sadness when their inner pain stories are shared and happiness when their lives seem to improve. Give them gifts to cheer them up. Visit those who don’t get many visitors or whom others seem to hate. I find everyone lovable in Stardew each in their own way. Then after a few seasons of living up the single life, I will choose a single I like most to date, marry and have kids with. If you aren’t into dating and marriage you can always befriend Krobus the sweetest little monster housemate you will ever meet. 😍

I personally love foraging and mining. I forage while on my way to talk to people enjoying the beauties of pixelated nature along the way. Occasionally cast a couple of lines to fish, see if I get anything good with my pirating profession or do a happy dance if I usually accidentally get that hard to catch fish. Then more visiting, some people even enjoy the flowers and such as liked gifts. I always have coffee or triple espresso on me which most everyone likes except the kids. Willy and Krobus only like plain coffee not espresso for whatever reason. When I don’t feel like talking, I mine. Break rocks, set off bombs, rake in monster loot, ores and gems. Great for stress relief. My farm is usually completely barren except for a stable for my pony, a couple sheds to process mining things and storage. As of 1.6 I have turned my farmland into a pet rescue/shelter. Gives the kids lots of playmates while we go off to work. Before then and sometimes now I will keep a coop and barn for more cute critters to love, plus a tiny bit of income. My greenhouse has only fruit trees that occasionally I remember to shake and toss into preserve jars. But since 1.6 it’s really just lots of dogs and kitties.

I get money for food, tool upgrades, house upgrades and the few farm buildings from a bit of inheritance from good old grandad care of a save editor. 😁

Mostly I just have a blast doing what I enjoy and skipping the rest. I do NOT like farming crops or plants at all. So that I never do, though since 1.6 I plant some pretty flowers that can easily be harvested through a iridium scythe now. Sell them or gift them. Once in a blue moon for fun.

userhangaar

Greenhorn
WhitePistachio said:
Welcome to our community!
LRangerR said:
The most important thing to remember in sdv is that there is no losing, there is no winning, there is only the valley.
FilthyGorilla said:
The reddit can be a bit crazy at times so welcome to the forums, we're a lot more laid back here so enjoy your stay
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :smile:

Confused said:
... I recommend making friends with all the characters your farmer, 'Garwing', would most likely befriend first. For example, since Garwing is a retired warlock, maybe she'd be interested in what the resident Stardew Valley Wizard is like. :wizard: ...
DragonGwen said:
I just made a entire extended family for my OC, extra kids, and have Sebastian a middle name and last name. I just did like a personality, appearance, relationships, and likes. It gets the character across and I don't have to draw terribly.
...And for the tips and anecdotes, too. Thanks to this thread, I found many things that I'm now thinking would be fun to try. All these stories remind me of games I played as a kid (on SDV's note, Farmville on Facebook¹ was one) where I, as I realize now, bought into the roleplaying aspect naturally like a fun-loving kid would. This enthusiasm I'm having for SDV is a bit like that, so I'm happy. :music:

¹Funny story: My mother convinced me to make my first Facebook account so she could send her own account stuff on Farmville. Thanks, Ma, for starting my love for farming simulators. :toothy:

userhangaar

Greenhorn
Yes the game is listed as an RPG even before farming simulator. Like Dragon Gwen I just go around talking to people, hearing all the dialogue and stories of each one. Share moments of literal sadness when their inner pain stories are shared and happiness when their lives seem to improve. Give them gifts to cheer them up. Visit those who don’t get many visitors or whom others seem to hate. I find everyone lovable in Stardew each in their own way. Then after a few seasons of living up the single life, I will choose a single I like most to date, marry and have kids with. If you aren’t into dating and marriage you can always befriend Krobus the sweetest little monster housemate you will ever meet. 😍

I personally love foraging and mining. I forage while on my way to talk to people enjoying the beauties of pixelated nature along the way. Occasionally cast a couple of lines to fish, see if I get anything good with my pirating profession or do a happy dance if I usually accidentally get that hard to catch fish. Then more visiting, some people even enjoy the flowers and such as liked gifts. I always have coffee or triple espresso on me which most everyone likes except the kids. Willy and Krobus only like plain coffee not espresso for whatever reason. When I don’t feel like talking, I mine. Break rocks, set off bombs, rake in monster loot, ores and gems. Great for stress relief. My farm is usually completely barren except for a stable for my pony, a couple sheds to process mining things and storage. As of 1.6 I have turned my farmland into a pet rescue/shelter. Gives the kids lots of playmates while we go off to work. Before then and sometimes now I will keep a coop and barn for more cute critters to love, plus a tiny bit of income. My greenhouse has only fruit trees that occasionally I remember to shake and toss into preserve jars. But since 1.6 it’s really just lots of dogs and kitties.

I get money for food, tool upgrades, house upgrades and the few farm buildings from a bit of inheritance from good old grandad care of a save editor. 😁

Mostly I just have a blast doing what I enjoy and skipping the rest. I do NOT like farming crops or plants at all. So that I never do, though since 1.6 I plant some pretty flowers that can easily be harvested through a iridium scythe now. Sell them or gift them. Once in a blue moon for fun.
Woah! I didn't know you could have a monster housemate! I was a bit troubled by having to romance someone to make the farm less lonely. I think I prefer this romance-less option a whole lot more (at the moment, at least).

Although I did say not tending to the farm seemed a bit much for me on a previous post on this thread, I realized from the posts here that there's a LOT you can do in SDV. I guess that as a new player coming into the game, I was tunnel-visioned with developing the farm and thought all other things were tributary to that goal. But really, it's just an option that's more highlighted than others. After all, SDV is a game made for people to have fun. Those other options, no matter how "unproductive," mundane, or silly add to that fun all the same. :happy:

I'm already starting to look at the game in new ways, and I've barely even played through it! :goldstar:

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :smile:

...And for the tips and anecdotes, too. Thanks to this thread, I found many things that I'm now thinking would be fun to try. All these stories remind me of games I played as a kid (on SDV's note, Farmville on Facebook¹ was one) where I, as I realize now, bought into the roleplaying aspect naturally like a fun-loving kid would. This enthusiasm I'm having for SDV is a bit like that, so I'm happy. :music:

¹Funny story: My mother convinced me to make my first Facebook account so she could send her own account stuff on Farmville. Thanks, Ma, for starting my love for farming simulators. :toothy:
Yer mama used you as a legit alt account so she could boost lmfao

LRangerR

Local Legend
Woah! I didn't know you could have a monster housemate! I was a bit troubled by having to romance someone to make the farm a less lonely. I think I prefer this romance-less option a whole lot more (at the moment, at least).

Although I did say not tending to the farm seemed a bit much for me on a previous post on this thread, I realized from the posts here that there's a LOT you can do in SDV. I guess that as a new player coming into the game, I was tunnel-visioned with developing the farm and thought all other things were tributary to that goal. But really, it's just an option that's more highlighted than others. After all, SDV is a game made for people to have fun. Those other options, no matter how "unproductive," mundane, or silly add to that fun all the same. :happy:

I'm already starting to look at the game in new ways, and I've barely even played through it! :goldstar:
To be completely fair, you have to remember that sdv is a harvest moon clone that surpassed it's original inspiration, something that rarely happens. HM was a farming sim. but to be completely fair again, you can have as many or as few crops as you want in SDV and still be successful.