Gaming Inspiration

nolanmaris

Cowpoke
Hello

I want to explore new games and try something different . What games have you been enjoying currently ? Whether it's a hidden gem or a popular release, I'm open to all suggestions . Bonus points for games with captivating storylines or immersive gameplay experiences!

Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

Thank you
nolanmaris

Rhiannon

Farmer
I have two suggestions.

One is Kynseed which is sorta like Stardew Valley but also very different. It's being called a life simulator. You do indeed have a farm which you can customize. You can farm to your heart's content or not farm at all. The map is huge with many "Havens" to explore with their own population to get to know. Fishing is my favorite thing in Kynseed which is crazy because I dislike it so much in SDV. One really interesting feature that I'm eager to explore is that you age. And at the age of 50, you have to give up your physical body and live on in one of your heirs (children). During your 50 years in the world, you can trade years of your life for special items that can make life/tasks easier on you.

The other game is one that has surprised me that I liked it. It's called Supermarket Simulator. You own and run a grocery store. You start with 6 items, a couple of shelves to put them on and a cash register. From there, you have to manage products, growth (the store and storage room), hire and manage employees. The goal is to end up with a large grocery store. I can't put my finger on why I like it so much. But when I play it, time flies by! It's currently in early access but well worth the $10.39 (on sale until 5/17/24). It's had over 31,000 reviews on Steam since it launched in February 2024 and it's sitting at "Very Positive". I totally agree.

I am playing both of these games on my channel if you want to check them out before buying. But disclaimer: I play REALLY slow. No power gaming or min/maxing.

HaleyRocks

Planter
You cannot go wrong with indies, fangames and plagiarisms or if you prefer, "love letters" to older games and why not? Older games themselves, especially if revamped recently! I highly recommend:

Dusk, Amid Evil, Prodeus + Black Labyrinth, HROT, Ion Fury + Aftershock, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, Hollow Knight, The Messenger, AM2R (another metroid 2 remake), Streets of Rage Remake V5.1, Pokemon Reborn, Castlevania Le Carde Chronicles 2, Blasphemous Deluxe, Legacy of Kain Blood Omen (gog's re-release), Blade of Darkness (re-release), Bloodstained Ritual of the Night + extra content, Scratches Director's Cut and/or the upcoming Asylum (from Senscape?), Shadow Warrior 2013, Sid Meier's Pirates (2004), Thief series, the re-released Titan Quest with all extra content and Grim Dawn with extra content.

If you want something with a really good story I highly recommend Final Fantasy 8 or the original Bioshock!
Other games I enjoy are Rimworld (it's a story generator/colony manager), Sid Meier's Civilization 6 (takes some getting used to and a lot of fiddling with numbers, but really really fun if you enjoy history), and Don't Starve.
Also, I totally thought your profile pic was Alan Jackson for a second! 😅

I really enjoy My Time at Portia, though I haven’t played in a while. It’s very similar to SDV but more combat focused (at least in my book). I also love Little Dragon Cafe, which has more of a plot line so once that’s over it’s not nearly as fun. It should take a while to get through the story though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
You cannot go wrong with indies, fangames and plagiarisms or if you prefer, "love letters" to older games and why not? Older games themselves, especially if revamped recently! I highly recommend:

Dusk, Amid Evil, Prodeus + Black Labyrinth, HROT, Ion Fury + Aftershock, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, Hollow Knight, The Messenger, AM2R (another metroid 2 remake), Streets of Rage Remake V5.1, Pokemon Reborn, Castlevania Le Carde Chronicles 2, Blasphemous Deluxe, Legacy of Kain Blood Omen (gog's re-release), Blade of Darkness (re-release), Bloodstained Ritual of the Night + extra content, Scratches Director's Cut and/or the upcoming Asylum (from Senscape?), Shadow Warrior 2013, Sid Meier's Pirates (2004), Thief series, the re-released Titan Quest with all extra content and Grim Dawn with extra content.
I haven't played many of those but big props to see Ion Fury in there, that game's just a lotta fun if you ever played OG Doom or similar. And it's still megafun if you didn't play OG DOOM!

I really enjoy My Time at Portia, though I haven’t played in a while. It’s very similar to SDV but more combat focused (at least in my book). I also love Little Dragon Cafe, which has more of a plot line so once that’s over it’s not nearly as fun. It should take a while to get through the story though.
I quite liked My Time At Portia too as it's Stardew-adjacent. More story driven and focused on crafting than farming but I enjoyed the game progression a lot. I haven't played the sequel yet, My Time at Sandrock, as it's still in Early Access and I have maybe 11 dozen games on GOG I still haven't played so I can wait until full release.

I got into terraria a couple years ago and absolutely loved it, big game, amazing developers, and so so many items it’s insane.
Ah, Terraria. I really should like it and the older kid came in yesterday and spent another 20 minutes campaigning for me to play it (co-op eventually of course) and I'm gonna try it again. The game progression and UI just hasn't clicked in my head even after many attempts, but I just asked point black about how that's supposed to work and I think I get it better now. I guess what bugs me a bit is like Minecraft, night seemingly falls quickly that first day and you start getting attacked. I took to MC's controls quickly but not Terraria's so that's been the holdback.

I need to be more patient with the game, take it slowly. Sound familiar?

Last edited: