Mac Game Not opening on MacBook Air from GOG galaxy game

Sunshinefor7

Newcomer
Hello,

Im having this problem with the game having an error for opening on my MacBook Air M2 where it says the game quit unexpectedly. I purchased the game from Stream first but it wouldn't open so I purchased it from GOG galaxy instead but the same thing is happening and I don't now what to do. I tried finding solutions, even the terminal solution but the steps are really hard to understand as I have no experience in programming. On top of that I tried to look for MacBook solutions on YouTube but it was all windows. Please help. I really wanted to play this game. Anything helps and if possible, maybe more specific directions to solve this please T~T.

Here's what pops up:

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process: Stardew Valley [17480]
Path: /Applications/Stardew Valley.app/Contents/MacOS/Stardew Valley
Identifier: Stardew Valley
Version: ???
Code Type: X86-64 (Translated)
Parent Process: Exited process [17477]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2024-08-12 00:33:42.2669 -0600
OS Version: macOS 14.6.1 (23G93)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: F61F28C2-72C0-A9C8-2743-8C543B4D6C3B

Sleep/Wake UUID: F1222625-D8B5-45A3-9F55-9FC2B38A1B8B

Time Awake Since Boot: 97000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 1292 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Notes:
PC register does not match crashing frame (0x0 vs 0x7FF896F1AA78)

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 6 Abort trap: 6
Terminating Process: Stardew Valley [17480]

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Error Formulating Crash Report:
PC register does not match crashing frame (0x0 vs 0x7FF896F1AA78)

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

(The whole thing is in the document attached)

Attachments

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Sunshinefor7 and Welcome to the Forums!

Based on some other similar posts elsewhere it looks to be a problem with running Intel-native programs on Apple M# processor Macs like yours. I have an M1 Mac and was running the Compatibility version of Stardew Valley which was working well though the regular version wasn't a few months ago when I last tried. However I swapped to the regular version today and it's working for me now. So things change.

Maybe try the Compatibility version from Steam? GOG doesn't have the Compatibility version past v1.5.6 yet (still!) while Steam's is current to v1.6.8.

In Steam, right click (or CTRL-click) on Stardew Valley in the left column and select Properties
Click Betas in the left column
Next to Beta Participation, select compatibility blah blahblah...

Steam should automatically download the Compatibility version and hopefully that one works for you.

One thing people mentioned about the PC register does not match crashing frame error is a reinstall of the problem App usually fixed it though that doesn't seem to have worked for you. However since this is downloading a different copy of the game, hopefully it'll work. You may even want to try switching that Beta Participation to the regular version afterwards just in case that fixes it.