Game Keeps Crashing. I've tried everything

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
My game keeps crashing on the save menu whenever I reach the end of a day. I have deleted and re downloaded all of my mods. I've unintstalled, deleted, redownloaded, and reinstalled smapi. I've downloaded different, older versions of mods. Nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. I don't know what else to do. This is my latest error log. Most recently I took out the pregnancy event mod and spacecore, but that didn't help. PLEASE HELP! I've been banging my head on this brick wall for two days and I can't fix it!

salmonsalmon

Cowpoke
Well I think part of the problems is the fact that all of your mods are in the content folder. Mods aren't supposed to be in that folder. They are supposed to be in the Stardew Valley folder, under data in a new folder. The content folder is the game core files.

Also have you tried rolling back a save? Making a copy of your most recent save, moving it out of the folder and deleting it in the main folder? Your current save might be corrupted. Also you can attach your saves here, I can download and see if it's a 'your save file issue' or 'something wrong with your game/pc issue'. Because it looks like the game is trying to read your backup save files but not doing so successfully. It could be because you have that file open somewhere else, your antivirus is blocking it or you simply just have a corrupt save.

(Also, you have miss matching UIs so you have something that requires a UI that isn't in the file.)

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
I’ve always put my mods in a separate folder called mods when I play. Do I need to move that folder somewhere else? Also I recently swapped from avast to aura, so you think that could be causing a problem?

salmonsalmon

Cowpoke
This is what it looks like. I tried moving the mods folder to the Stardew Valley folder but then nothing would load
This is correct, this is how It's supposed to be and the reason why nothing would load is because you would have to reinstall smapi since its probably freaking out because it can't locate your mod folder in the content folder. Since you moved the mod folder you would have to reinstall smapi to update the location of your mod folder.

Also I would invest into downloading STARDROP, it's a mod manager for stardew. It will tell you what miss requirements there are, when a mod needs updated. It's pretty handy. But it's not a mod so don't install it like that. It's installed like a regular .exe.

Also I work in I.T, avast is pretty universally hated between us. It's okay but its extremely hard to fully get rid of. Just because you uninstall it doesn't mean it's fully gone. Having two antivirus activated can really mess up your pc so when you go into file explorer it will open to your home page, in the top right there will be a search bar that says 'Search Home' type in Avast and if anything comes up, delete it. And in regard to aura, I have never heard of it.

A little pro tip from me, Windows Defender works just fine and if you really want antivirus Malwarebytes, Norton, or Bitdefender would be your best bets. Also get yourself a non chromium web browser like, Firefox and then download uBlock Origin, you'll never have to worry about viruses again.

(chromium web browsers are developed by Google and made available under open source license. Most browsers buy this license and build on the code like Google Chrome, Opera, Edge, etc etc. Basically, Google is the core of the web browser you're using and unless the company is changing specific things about their coding its basically just Google Chrome with different aesthetics. Non chromium web browsers are coding that was built from the bottom up. They don't use Googles coding. ((Plus Google Chrome is known to be a RAM eater, so its known to slow down your pc)))

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
This is correct, this is how It's supposed to be and the reason why nothing would load is because you would have to reinstall smapi since its probably freaking out because it can't locate your mod folder in the content folder. Since you moved the mod folder you would have to reinstall smapi to update the location of your mod folder.

Also I would invest into downloading STARDROP, it's a mod manager for stardew. It will tell you what miss requirements there are, when a mod needs updated. It's pretty handy. But it's not a mod so don't install it like that. It's installed like a regular .exe.

Also I work in I.T, avast is pretty universally hated between us. It's okay but its extremely hard to fully get rid of. Just because you uninstall it doesn't mean it's fully gone. Having two antivirus activated can really mess up your pc so when you go into file explorer it will open to your home page, in the top right there will be a search bar that says 'Search Home' type in Avast and if anything comes up, delete it. And in regard to aura, I have never heard of it.

A little pro tip from me, Windows Defender works just fine and if you really want antivirus Malwarebytes, Norton, or Bitdefender would be your best bets. Also get yourself a non chromium web browser like, Firefox and then download uBlock Origin, you'll never have to worry about viruses again.

(chromium web browsers are developed by Google and made available under open source license. Most browsers buy this license and build on the code like Google Chrome, Opera, Edge, etc etc. Basically, Google is the core of the web browser you're using and unless the company is changing specific things about their coding its basically just Google Chrome with different aesthetics. Non chromium web browsers are coding that was built from the bottom up. They don't use Googles coding. ((Plus Google Chrome is known to be a RAM eater, so its known to slow down your pc)))
I uninstalled and reinstalled smapi like you said, and it's started loading again. I didn't get a chance to actually play the game though because I had to go to work, so I'm about to try it and see if it works.

As for the Avast thing, yeah, I've been trying to get rid of it for two years now and every time I think it's gone they hit me with another bill, and then I have to call them for a refund and delete the darn thing AGAIN! (I don't even remember how I got into the Avast rabbit hole TBH)

When I downloaded Aura supposedly it kicked out what was left of Avast, but since you said that I'm gonna go look and make sure it's all gone. (I originally bought Aura for a VPN because I'll be traveling outside the country soo, but apparently the VPN comes with a virus protection...so why not I suppose)

UPDATE: Sure enough! There was still an avast file on my computer! So now that it's gone hopefully things will work!

salmonsalmon

Cowpoke
It still didn't work, so I'm going to try uninstalling everything and reinstalling to see what happens.
If you want a good VPN, I personally use Nord.

And the game still isn't launching even after you changed mod location and reinstalled SMAPI? Do you have an updated SMAPI Log?

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
I’ve already closed out of everything and have to head to bed but I’ll try to get it tomorrow. I will say that this was a brand new save file and since this started it’s happened to every save file.

Thanks for sticking with me through this, I appreciate it! (Especially since my lack of tech abilities must be grating)

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
Okay...I may have fixed it. My free trial with Aura expired, and I decided I wanted to try a few more programs before I commit to anything, so I uninstalled it. On a hunch, I ran the game after Aura had been uninstalled and it worked. So I think something about Aura made it not play nice with Smapi. Now I'm going to slowly add all my mods back and make sure it doesn't happen again, but I may have cracked the code.

salmonsalmon

Cowpoke
Okay...I may have fixed it. My free trial with Aura expired, and I decided I wanted to try a few more programs before I commit to anything, so I uninstalled it. On a hunch, I ran the game after Aura had been uninstalled and it worked. So I think something about Aura made it not play nice with Smapi. Now I'm going to slowly add all my mods back and make sure it doesn't happen again, but I may have cracked the code.
I figured that Aura was the problem, the error code you were getting was a problem with saving the game. SMAPI was having trouble connecting to the save and I thought that Aura was blocking your saves from SMAPI.

prettyinpink

Greenhorn
I figured that Aura was the problem, the error code you were getting was a problem with saving the game. SMAPI was having trouble connecting to the save and I thought that Aura was blocking your saves from SMAPI.
Thank you so much for all your help! I greatly appreciate it!