Fun Fishing (plus making it more realistic)

Heavu

Greenhorn
Fishing, My favorite thing about stardew valley (do not hold me to this statement) though sometimes it can get repetitive and sometimes boring enough that I no longer have fun doing it because I'm now high enough level that other than legendary fish, I don't have a problem catching fish. Even then, the angler is just.... sad. So today, we will change up, adding a few new mechanics and making some fish more realistic.

New ability:
To make it fun and to put more thought into fishing, most fish should have an ability. There are 5 one for each legendary fish.

Escape:
All Legendary Fish, Rare fish (see further in the post), octopus, Stonefish, Lava eel, eel, void fish, and other strong fish
unlike fish escaping because your bad at fishing these fish escape because they manage to unhook themselves or simply are strong enough to break free. A timer that fluctuates between what rod your using and the fish. If you don't catch the fish before the time is up, the fish just escapes. While all legendary fish do have this, the radioactive carp and mutant carp have the shortest time being impossible to catch with the training rod, bamboo rod, and its hard with the fiberglass rod. legend also has a short time but not as short as the other 2 (the one with the slowest escape by the timer is glacierfish)

Fakes:
Angler, Ms. Angler, Midnight squid, Spookfish, Super Cucumber, Midnight Carp, Void fish, Other night fish
There are 3 levels of this tier:
1: Reserved for midnight carp, Ghostfish, and other fish (Causes one decoy to spawn)
2: Super cucumber, midnight squid, spook fish (summons two decoys)
3: angler only (three decoys)
Decoys will not raise the bar when you are over them; however, the sound will still play as if you were. Each decoy moves independently of the fish, making it harder.

Frozen:
Glacierfish, Glacierfish Jr, Ice pip, and Winter

A niche category in which only can be found outside of winter with the ice pip
like it says, no matter what you do, you cant move your slider; however, with any fish except the 3 above, it only lasts a second
Ice pip is 2 seconds with Glacierfish/Jr. is a full 3 seconds; of course, Glacierfish would become slower to make it, so it isn't impossible.

Multiple Levels:
Crimsionfish, son of crimson fish, Attempting to catch any fish using magical bait, fish that live in the D E E P
What's fun about catching a fish? DOING IT AGAIN!
It's playing the minigame one or more times... representing you have to try harder to catch deeper fish (Crismon fish is here because of its description). Magic bait is also here because your fishing for things in the D E E P. Also, this is the only way to catch rare blobfish (if a fish also has a timer ability, it resets every level)

Jack-Of-All-Trades:
Rainbow trout, Legend, Blue discus, Lionfish, other colorful fish
these fish can have any ability though it is random so one trout can have the frozen ability while the other could have fakes, etc. the only one that does not follow this pattern is legend and legend 2
Legend has every ability, but he doesn't use them all at once; he has 3 levels (from the multiple levels ability). The first level uses the fake ability, the next the frozen. Finally, the last level is a combination of the 2; he also has a timer for every level. making catching him actually rewarding and not just another legendary fish

Rare fish (FOR REALISM REASONS)

all rare fish sell for double the gold of its regular fish cousin... these are also harder to catch

Blobfish: blobfish doesn't look like that.... that's just a bob fish with lots of tissue damage... AKA, it's in a lot of pain. That's why it's rare would now be its current sprite and only able to be caught via the magic bait.
Salmon: salmon go through puberty which makes them go from cute.... to murder weapons... these would be the most common of the rare fish.
Stonefish: A ROUND stonefish (i know creative, right?)

Size (Should) Matter:
Like the title says, we should get a slight boost from just... catching bigger fish? Just there no reason for the size mechanic right now. Like I would just like... a little more money for selling a big fish.

Interesting.
I like the idea of "size should matter" so that bigger fishes (per randomizer choosen before fishing starts) are harder to catch than smaller fishes. If the game gets changes this way it also needs an indicator for the fish size while fishing. Otherwise it would be strange for SDV-newbies I think.
The blobfish visual I would change too (see https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/nicer-blobfish-and-adult-pig.6660/ ).
But I am not with you that fishing is to easy in general. in my eyes it's fine the way it is, and if it gets a bit harder for bigger fishes it would be "hardcore" enough. 😎

Last edited:

Yuni Cosmo

Cowpoke
I think these are all great ideas, but even after playing it for years I still am a disgrace to Willy and my fishing rod... 😂
Maybe it could be unlocked near the endgame, and gives you extra powers too? Like, say, the Wizard and Willy work together to make a prototype magic rod for a wedding gift/something else, but it enhances both you and the fish because its still in development, so you have to try it out and master it? Then it would be more fair for newcomers (and me 😓), and if you find it really hard, you can just unequip it whenever, instead of making it a permanent feature.

Heavu

Greenhorn
I totally agree with you on the part that this wouldn't be that fair to new players and disgraces to the fishing lords but its gotten to the point where the fishing game feels like a chore
to people like me who fish all the time I've gotten to the point where I've rated every kind of fishing hook and figured out the best spots for new players and getting gold (hint its the
ocean ALWAYS) Once again i agree with people not being able to fish because they don't like it or are just bad at it but at the same time i can name a fish just depending on how it moves
And while i think the mega fishing rod of ultimate power is awesome (that's what we're calling that fishing rod now) by that time if you have actively attempted to get it all legendary fish should be in your possession and maybe even the other legends. what I'm trying to say is... instead of having a rod that powers you and your fish up... why not make the training rod also have the reverse of this ability? the bamboo pole is utterly useless compared to the training rod in the early game so instead of having a late-game rod that would most likely be just another upgrade why not use a cheap rod that no one uses anyway because you're not going to be catching that much rare fish early game anyway this would allow players to...train.... their skill in the game and in real life. this method would be cheaper and allow players that are good at fishing to gain that extra challenge. Because once you hit a certain level where every fish you catch is iridume quality and you don't even need to try... its no longer fun

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
I just like how everybody's elided over the part of the original post that talks about murderous pubescent salmon. :P