Fishing Difficulty

Artemis

Greenhorn
I find that the most challenging skill is fishing. My Q is: what is the relationship between your fishing skill and the difficulty level of catching the fish?
The fishing skill level is only up to ten points, however, the fish difficulty can go way up high as 80. And please help me understand what is Base XP?
Thanks and looking forward to your replies.

tsmooth920

Farmhand
Yeah, fishing can be tricky to get the hang of, and some of the fish in the game are dang hard to catch. There's no direct relationship per se, as the difficulty per type of fish is a set amount, and on a scale completely separate from the player skill of 1-10. But as it relates to your question, as you level up your fishing skill, the size of the target bar will increase. There are other benefits too, like less energy consumption per cast, increased cast distance, less time before fish bite, and increased size of caught fish, but the bigger bar is the only one that will actually make the catching part easier.

As far as XP goes, per the wiki:

The amount of experience earned for each caught fish is as follows: [1]

XP = (Fish Quality + 1) * 3 + (Fish Difficulty / 3)

Fish Quality = 0 for normal, 1 for silver, 2 for gold, or 4 for iridium

and also:

XP is multiplied by 2.2 if you also catch a treasure chest, by 2.4 if the catch was "perfect" and by 5 if the catch was a Legendary fish.

So base XP would be the amount youd get from catching a normal quality fish with none of the other multipliers. I assume having the fish difficulty on a scale of 5-110 is a way to get XP to work with the equation and keep the numbers on par with the other skills.

Artemis

Greenhorn
Yeah, fishing can be tricky to get the hang of, and some of the fish in the game are dang hard to catch. There's no direct relationship per se, as the difficulty per type of fish is a set amount, and on a scale completely separate from the player skill of 1-10. But as it relates to your question, as you level up your fishing skill, the size of the target bar will increase. There are other benefits too, like less energy consumption per cast, increased cast distance, less time before fish bite, and increased size of caught fish, but the bigger bar is the only one that will actually make the catching part easier.

As far as XP goes, per the wiki:

The amount of experience earned for each caught fish is as follows: [1]

XP = (Fish Quality + 1) * 3 + (Fish Difficulty / 3)

Fish Quality = 0 for normal, 1 for silver, 2 for gold, or 4 for iridium

and also:

XP is multiplied by 2.2 if you also catch a treasure chest, by 2.4 if the catch was "perfect" and by 5 if the catch was a Legendary fish.

So base XP would be the amount youd get from catching a normal quality fish with none of the other multipliers. I assume having the fish difficulty on a scale of 5-110 is a way to get XP to work with the equation and keep the numbers on par with the other skills.
Thanks so much! This is very helpful !

Lew Zealand

Helper
This is not at all what you asked, but playing Geometry Dash helped my fishing skills- especially straight flying. It’s a very similar skill set. Good luck.
That makes a *lot* of sense! While I haven't played GD, I've watched people do it and the gravity mechanic is very similar. FWIW, I had a really tough time fishing on my first save and it's still my lowest skill there but on my most recent farm, I took it seriously as it's a great way to make good early game money and amazingly I found it quite easy! It seems like it just clicks in your head at some point and I'll bet a Greenhouse full of Strawberries that Geometry Dash would help.

Plus the GD music is fun!

Without digging too deep, essentially higher levels just allow a bigger bar, better rods, better lures and bait. This tends to ease some of the difficulty. Honestly, I am one of the groups of people who love fishing. I tend to fish on any game I play that allows it. But I enjoy this the most because it requires practice and skill.

The first time I purchased the game on Xbox, I went fishing the second I received the rod from Willy. After that, I was hooked [pun very much intended].