Coding Help First Time Modder needs HELP!

gr8mrcy

Greenhorn
I have been dealing with this similar issue and similar error for two weeks now, and I am hopelessly lost and frustrated. I am a first-time modder attempting to create a dialogue expansion mod. I am a GREAT writer; but I am not a coder. I had never even played a PC (or otherwise) game before two months ago. But after reaching summer of year two, I was bored to death of the same dates, the same conversations, the same interactions and I thought, "Surely I can do better than this." So I started looking at mods and tearing them apart and broke my game four times had to start from zero 4 times, and now I have gotten to the point where I have written 18,000 words (110,481 Characters) of new dialogue, and created a pretty awesome mod, but I keep running into json errors and content patcher errors that I can BARELY understand, let alone fix. Somebody who is an experienced modder could probably take one look at this and tell me where I am going wrong, but I can't even figure out what the issue is. I almost don't even know how to ask questions. I am that new. A recurring issue has been curly or smart characters getting into my code. Today I finally learned how to run a regex on my code in Notepad++ which I believe will take care of that issue for good. I know how to validate json files, but this smapi error keeps happening even though the code has validated and I ran a clean regex on it. So finally I found you guys and I am hoping someone will be able to assist me.

UPDATE: I made some significant progress with this file, but I still am having persistent smapi errors.

latest smapi error: https://smapi.io/log/65a3b266334e4ccea6043a548f752707

What the log says: Can't apply data patch "Saucy_Lance > EditData Characters/Dialogue/Lance > entry #1" to Characters/Dialogue/Lance: failed converting entry to the expected type 'System.String': Can not convert Object to String..
Can't apply data patch "Saucy_Lance > EditData Characters/Dialogue/Lance > entry #2" to Characters/Dialogue/Lance: failed converting entry to the expected type 'System.String': Can not convert Object to String..

I just don't know what to do, don't know what to try, I have read and re-read this document until I am blue in the face......
Any help would be massively appreciated!

Last edited:
I haven't made a dialogue mod before, but maybe I can help a little.
You can try changing it like this and see if it will work. You might also find it helpful to take a look at the Content Patcher guide here.

"Mon": "{{Random: I do miss the tropical weather of Ginger Island and Fabel Reef. The weather there always feels happy.$0++Your another dialogue here++And another dialogue here|inputSeparator=++}}",