Fiber Seeds Acquired! Could use help on implementation

Greetings!

I finally got the recipe for Fiber Seeds, which is timely because I am out of wood entirely, and don't particularly feel like buying the 12k or so I currently need at 50 per when I don't have obelisks yet. However that then raises the question - what's the best source for the materials?

Sap I currently have in large quantities, and if I was ever low, I feel like some slime hunting with a Burglar's Ring equipped would resolve that easily enough.
Clay I need a TON of for a lot of reasons, and I'd love to know what the best source is - the Quarry? The Mines? If the latter, any particular floors folks target? Any other good spots?
Mixed Seeds I don't need As many as I do Clay since I have fewer purposes for it, but I only have like 100 saved up, so I'll run out after just the first round of Fiber Seeds. Any good sources of it, or between getting it as drops from the fiber and my search for clay is that a problem which will resolve itself?

Finally, once I have the tree fertilizer, I could use some advice on good places to fill with trees. I kinda tapped out the spa area, if you catch my drift, which is nice and all but I need room to set up a tree farm as well! How is the Quarry for growing trees? Any other great areas for large quantities? Honestly never tried before, can you grow them in the desert? How about the beaches, both of the spoilery variety and otherwise? Any and all tips are welcome, I'd love to stop being perpetually starved on wood!

Worblehat

Planter
If you want clay and have access to Ginger Island, clay nodes are probably your best source. Otherwise I can't help much since I didn't do whatever it is that you're doing that requires ludicrous amounts of wood and clay. 🙂 A heavily overgrown farm provided more wood than I could ever use, and I had a few hundred clay accumulated from artifact spots (before I stopped digging them) and occasionally digging in the mines. I got most of my mixed seeds from clearing weeds. Also remember you can buy 10/week from Krobus. For me that was another resource that built up to moderate quantities simply because I had no real use for it. 🤷‍♂️

My understanding is that you can grow trees in the Desert if you want to. The Quarry also works (I find more trees than rocks spawning there in my game).

If your goal is wood supply, consider farming mahogany trees rather than regular trees. That's 80-100 wood per tree, if you have the wood chippers to process them in a timely manner. Obviously the Shaving enchantment on your axe would help too, if you've gotten that far.

Salty1

Planter
Seeking out weedy floors in the mines can get you some extra mixed seeds on the side - along with finding more fiber along the way. Granted, you might not want to bother with that if you want to save those trips for other resources to seek. Otherwise hitting artifact spots on Ginger Island? You do tend to get more omni-geodes and taro roots there as common drops, but sometimes you still do get 3-5 mixed seeds in a go.

Boo1972

Farmer
I’d try clearing weeds in the mutant bug lair in your search for mixed seeds. As a bonus, you’ll get to kill those annoying bugs.

I second the quarry as a good tree farming spot, though the Youtuber ezlily filled Ginger Island with mushroom trees. You should be able to grow any kind of tree there. I know that desert works too, but would that disrupt the delicate ecological balance? You can plant trees in the Cindersap Forest, especially down where you find spring onions. While the environmentally responsible choice, there are no short cuts to that area making travel a pain. I’m personally not a fan of putting my resources on public spaces. To be fair though, I’m also not fond of cutting trees, so Robin is my go to wood source.

The mahogany forest paired with a wood chipper is an excellent idea, especially if you have a hopper.

The problem with filling Ginger Island with trees is I do think it’s your best source for clay, especially the bone quarry. In my current save, apparently geodes are a sure bet if you need clay. Clint must be laughing his ass off while I spend hundreds of dollars and leave with stacks of clay. But I’ll have my revenge. Just wait until I give Emily that amethyst in the saloon- then we’ll see who’s laughing.

I’m curious about the goals for your farm. What are you trying to build?

Thanks all for the replies! I’m not doing anything crazy, just need another 5 big sheds, another 360 kegs, 100 preserve jars, and another 100 tappers is all. The last bit so I can increase my rate of oak resin production, and also get the materials to keep it raining all year. The clay I need for 1000 deluxe retaining soil, along with needing fiber for that, plus for tree fertilizer.

I’m going to test both using mass deluxe retaining soil on the beach farm (using agriculturalists to get the extra harvest of ancient fruit) and using rain totems on all non-festival days (other than the 1sts) with deluxe speed gro.

I want to see both how the experience is, and how sustainable it is (how easily I can replenish materials for the next year).

None of which needs to be done anytime soon, I set a soft goal for myself of spring year 4 to roll this out large scale, but it’s looking like I’ll be ready to go at least small scale (like 400 or so) spring of year 3, if I can get the wood needs and fiber production under control. So far looks like I’ll be checking out Ginger Island to get fiber seed materials and especially clay, and wreaking mass ecological devastation on the desert! XD

Elenna101

Farmer
Floor 80 of the mines tends to produce quite a bit of fiber (as well as the resulting mixed seeds), and unlike the mutant bug lair, you can refresh it indefinitely. And yes, the desert works fine for growing trees.

Boo1972

Farmer
Thanks all for the replies! I’m not doing anything crazy, just need another 5 big sheds, another 360 kegs, 100 preserve jars, and another 100 tappers is all. The last bit so I can increase my rate of oak resin production, and also get the materials to keep it raining all year. The clay I need for 1000 deluxe retaining soil, along with needing fiber for that, plus for tree fertilizer.

I’m going to test both using mass deluxe retaining soil on the beach farm (using agriculturalists to get the extra harvest of ancient fruit) and using rain totems on all non-festival days (other than the 1sts) with deluxe speed gro.

I want to see both how the experience is, and how sustainable it is (how easily I can replenish materials for the next year).

None of which needs to be done anytime soon, I set a soft goal for myself of spring year 4 to roll this out large scale, but it’s looking like I’ll be ready to go at least small scale (like 400 or so) spring of year 3, if I can get the wood needs and fiber production under control. So far looks like I’ll be checking out Ginger Island to get fiber seed materials and especially clay, and wreaking mass ecological devastation on the desert! XD
Please let us know how it goes. On my beach farm, I considered filling sheds with garden pots, deluxe retaining soil and pineapples and strawberries. But with Ginger Island I didn’t feel the urge to do more farming.

I never considered using rain totems to water crops. I only ever used them to catch fish. That’s a very interesting strategy. Let us know if it’s fun.