Feed Your Livestock

It's happened to us all. We're all out of hay, and Marnie's off doing excercise with the ladies or getting her knickers twisted by Lewis. Maybe it's winter, maybe it's raining, maybe you didn't think to make a silo before you made a barn, but your animals are going hungry. Even though you just harvested 200 pumpkins.

What if we could feed our animals with our own produce? We could feed them with fruits and vegetables and they wouldn't go hungry. Or feeding them personally cheers them up faster, like a second petting?

MissDandy

Farmer
And I'm all for feeding apples and cave carrots to the horse
This would be fun. As for the animals, I've been there so many times, and actually lost hearts with my chickens of 30 months because of it. (Holy crap can you ever lose hearts faster than you can earn them.) I feel like there could be a machine that turns specific foods into animals foods, kind of like how a mill only works with specific foods and products. It would save my butt for sure.

Grass can be eaten by animals and Hay but there's a limit to how much you can grow, especially if you want to keep up your crops - animals aren't exactly something you can buy straight off and hay can be expensive, definitely cutting into animal profits.

It's happened to us all. We're all out of hay, and Marnie's off doing excercise with the ladies or getting her knickers twisted by Lewis. Maybe it's winter, maybe it's raining, maybe you didn't think to make a silo before you made a barn, but your animals are going hungry. Even though you just harvested 200 pumpkins.

What if we could feed our animals with our own produce? We could feed them with fruits and vegetables and they wouldn't go hungry. Or feeding them personally cheers them up faster, like a second petting?
There are similar suggestions already somewhere in the forum.
I remember one for getting the silo shortly after the start to not running out of hey, getting hey even if Marnie isn't home (Shane could help out) and giving carrots to the animals (maybe the suggestion was only for your horse, I cant remember exactly).
Anyway I support your suggestion.

It happened to me too. I figured it is part of the designed conflict but it was a major inconvenience for sure. I was so darned set on preventing it that I started hoarding excess hay in chests lol. Back then, before my animal buildings were fully upgraded, I could take hay out of the feeder inside the barn or coop (which pulls it from the silos) to supposedly feed my animals, except I'd put it in a chest instead, then rinse and repeat a bunch of times (only feeding my animals when I was done). It doesn't seem to work when the buildings are fully upgraded though. In the end I just had to build another silo because Marnie's schedule was too darned inconvenient.

I use 3 silos for 2 fully upgraded and filled animal buildings. I'd plant a little bit of grass everywhere on the last day of winter for it to really take off when spring turns, then use the scythe (or later in game the golden scythe) to fill my silos early. I still have that large emergency stash (over 700 at least) in a chest though that never gets used, just in case it should happen again when adding new buildings because it is such a drag. 😂 Wish I could donate some to you guys lol!

Feeding with farm product is a neat idea. Love the one about treats for the horse (plus friending the hose). Maybe, the horse doesn't always stay so patiently where you leave her until full friendship? Maybe she wanders (a little) from where you left her until then? Just enough to have to look around a little, not enough to have her complete take off lol.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
It happened to me too. I figured it is part of the designed conflict but it was a major inconvenience for sure. I was so darned set on preventing it that I started hoarding excess hay in chests lol. Back then, before my animal buildings were fully upgraded, I could take hay out of the feeder inside the barn or coop (which pulls it from the silos) to supposedly feed my animals, except I'd put it in a chest instead, then rinse and repeat a bunch of times (only feeding my animals when I was done). It doesn't seem to work when the buildings are fully upgraded though. In the end I just had to build another silo because Marnie's schedule was too darned inconvenient.

I use 3 silos for 2 fully upgraded and filled animal buildings. I'd plant a little bit of grass everywhere on the last day of winter for it to really take off when spring turns, then use the scythe (or later in game the golden scythe) to fill my silos early. I still have that large emergency stash (over 700 at least) in a chest though that never gets used, just in case it should happen again when adding new buildings because it is such a drag. 😂 Wish I could donate some to you guys lol!

Feeding with farm product is a neat idea. Love the one about treats for the horse (plus friending the hose). Maybe, the horse doesn't always stay so patiently where you leave her until full friendship? Maybe she wanders (a little) from where you left her until then? Just enough to have to look around a little, not enough to have her complete take off lol.
What you can do with fully upgraded buildings is use a small bomb or explosive ammo to destroy hay in the bench. Then you can pick up new hay and store it in a chest.