Favorite Books

Odin

Staff member
I've been wanting to read American Gods - what's it like?

I've heard a lot about Neil Gaiman but just haven't found the time yet to read their books.
I know I'm not the one you asked, but I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman's books if you're a fan of the fantasy genre, and especially if you enjoy books that incorporate myths or folklore in different settings. Some of his books would be considered horror and others incorporate some horror elements, but usually not anything too dark.

I would say American Gods is one of his best! It pulls from a lot of different mythologies and can be fun seeing if you know some as they are introduced.

I've read The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger more times than I can count since I was 15--the first time I read it was actually the day Salinger died--it just made me feel so much less alone and weird than I thought I was prior and if you ever borrow my copy, you'll see several underlined sections like it's a study Bible.

I love dystopian fiction, 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley are life changing and eerie as hell when juxtaposed to the present.

Political philosophy is always interesting to read, even if it's at odds with your personal beliefs, but my favorite is The Discovery of Freedom: Man's Struggle Against Authority by Rose Wilder Lane, in which she argues that the role of an expanding government (the book was written in the 1940's, Lane herself burned her ration card during war time in protest of government assistance) is more harmful to the tenets of the foundation of America and the self-determination of the people than it is helpful, and backs up her work with historical events and ancient societies. She also gives a nod to Nebraska, my home state, which was, at the time she wrote the book, the only state in the union that had a balanced budget, and I just thought that was neat because when do you ever hear anything about Nebraska? As a native Nebraskan, the answer is darned near never.

I know I'm not the one you asked, but I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman's books if you're a fan of the fantasy genre, and especially if you enjoy books that incorporate myths or folklore in different settings. Some of his books would be considered horror and others incorporate some horror elements, but usually not anything too dark.

I would say American Gods is one of his best! It pulls from a lot of different mythologies and can be fun seeing if you know some as they are introduced.
Thank you so much @Odin. His books sound perfect - I'm into myth, folklore, fantasy and a little horror. I'm not sure how I haven't come across his books before!

imnvs

Local Legend
Adding to what Odin said here, @Gardening Spirit . My favorite of all time was the collaboration he did with Sir Terry Pratchett. Good Omens is a hilarious but deep retelling of the Book of Revelations with a twist. My copy I managed to get signed by both authors before Sir Terry's passing.

Adding to what Odin said here, @Gardening Spirit . My favorite of all time was the collaboration he did with Sir Terry Pratchett. Good Omens is a hilarious but deep retelling of the Book of Revelations with a twist. My copy I managed to get signed by both authors before Sir Terry's passing.
How special to get a Sir Terry's signature! I did see Good Omens on Amazon with lots of good reviews - thank you for the recommendation. I adore Sir Terry Pratchett.

I started reading Amercian Gods yesterday and it's already got me hooked a few pages in!

@Odin it was your description of the book that made me buy it, I'm grateful - thank you!

I'm really big into the Dragonlance novels and have been revisting them recently. Since getting a Kindle, I've discovered quite a few are availble to pick up so I've been buying them, and ones I didn't have before, on the kindle store. Recently, I was directed to give the Dresden files a try and the first book has me sucked in.