Economics of Special Community Quests

Miretar

Planter
So I started doing these special quests & found the economics of at least 3 of the quests is flawed.
I’ll start with the geode crusher, which had me very excited, but no more.
the machine requires coal to operate, which Clint sells for 250g a piece. Clint charges 25g to open a geode. The railroad basically stops at your front door and drops you off at Clint’. Opening geodes takes no time.
So why would I bother?

The mayor’s quest for 100 cauliflower.Another economic absurdity. I’ve always encountered this quest mid season.
I am frankly awed by the sheer effrontery of the assumption that in the middle of the spring I happen to have 100 cauliflower lying around. And, that even if I did, I would sell it at a dead loss. My cauliflower goes straiaht into preserving jars. Each jar sells for 400g, which offsets the 100g price of each seed nicely. The mayor will give you 50% of the gold crop value—which represents a significant loss.

The hardwood quest. The cash reward is 2000g. After which Robin will charge 6000g for the bed.

Fixing Willy’s boat. Iridium, hardwood etc. all for the privilege of spending 1k per ride.

Don’t get me started on the movie theater.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
So I started doing these special quests & found the economics of at least 3 of the quests is flawed.
I’ll start with the geode crusher, which had me very excited, but no more.
the machine requires coal to operate, which Clint sells for 250g a piece. Clint charges 25g to open a geode. The railroad basically stops at your front door and drops you off at Clint’. Opening geodes takes no time.
So why would I bother?
Because it's an item to have, you don't necessary have to use it. It's meant for convenience and if you want to process a bunch of geodes at one for some reason. It's also been reworked not to use coal in 1.6 so the point is moot
The mayor’s quest for 100 cauliflower.Another economic absurdity. I’ve always encountered this quest mid season.
I am frankly awed by the sheer effrontery of the assumption that in the middle of the spring I happen to have 100 cauliflower lying around. And, that even if I did, I would sell it at a dead loss. My cauliflower goes straiaht into preserving jars. Each jar sells for 400g, which offsets the 100g price of each seed nicely. The mayor will give you 50% of the gold crop value—which represents a significant loss.
Not everyone is processing and you don't need to do all quests
This quest is there primarily for newer players who are selling raw and could make some extra cash by accepting the quest, it also often makes players branch out and try some other crops which they may not touch, which can be fun
The quests also usually have another small reward of some sort, which is usually enough for a person to try it out at least once and see what that it, it doesn't have to be something infinitely repeatable
The hardwood quest. The cash reward is 2000g. After which Robin will charge 6000g for the bed.
You get one of the beds as a reward, you have to pay more for another because why would she give you more than your materials made?
Fixing Willy’s boat. Iridium, hardwood etc. all for the privilege of spending 1k per ride.
Willy is driving the boat there and back while also staying at the island the whole time
Just because you fixed his boat doesn't mean he should never be paid for spending an entire day dropping you off, staying there, and picking you up

He also does free return trips and it's not even like 1000g is a lot, that buys you a beer and a pizza in the valley

Don’t get me started on the movie theater.
Again, completely optional, if you go the cc route it costs a few items of little value (at most low 5 figure cost combined, nothing at that point in the game)

You're doing it entirely for your own benefit, you can choose not to