Doubled harvest of salmonberries first Spring

It's very obvious , you just need to reach fourth level of foraging . It not easy though , but it's worth efforts because you'll collect 250+ salmonberries per season ! To reach fourth level of foraging before salmonberries season you need : a) Collect all forageables (you must do this anyway, and do not forget fix beach bridge ASAP) ; b) Eat all edible ones and use that energy to chop-chop-chop - cut down trees (you need a lot of wood all the time anyway) . Salmonberries really help you in the mines , well , every SV players know this.

PS . You can also buy pancakes from saloon , but it depends on luck .

Lew Zealand

Helper
I think chopping Trees (but not the stumps) gives you a lot of Foraging experience early on at not too high energy expenditure, but you'll be forgoing some g accumulation from Fishing to instead spend that Energy on chopping. However double Salmonberries may be the first bulk energy source available in the game. You could Fish and keep some of them for food but the insta-stacking of 'Berries in a single coveted backpack slot in early game is superior here to 2 or even 3 types of Fish.

Plus, they smell better while you're chasing Elliot.

The other trade-off however is the time invested in foraging up those berries, but I usually plan Spring 15 or 16 to be a socializing day (sorry Elliot, I gots lotsa other people to annoy too) so there's not too much time wasted grabbing berries between breathless chats with eligible villagers.

Just be careful with the click to talk as Salmonberries are rather an unpopular gift.

For what it's worth you need 1300 XP, which is equal to chopping down 100 trees, with stumps, or foraging 186 items off the ground, or 433 Spring Onions, or some ratio of each of those (so if you chopped 50 trees (1/2), foraged 47 items (1/4) other than spring onions and 109 spring onions (1/4), that would suffice). I don't think it's likely you're getting to where you can chop large stumps in time, but if you were, those are 25 XP each, so you'd only need 52 of them. The Fruit Bat fruit grants foraging XP (the regular 7 per item) while the Mushroom Cave does not, so it is easier to achieve that with the Fruit Bat cave, for what it's worth.

In exchange, you get roughly 250 Salmonberries extra, if I recall correctly, assuming you harvest all available berries. At 25 energy each, that's 6,250 energy, which, compared to amount of salads needed to restore equal energy, is effectively valued at 12,500. That's a fair chunk of change!

It's a good strategy, and foraging XP is also important to get early if you want early lightning rods and / or tappers. I personally fell out of love with Salmonberries (used to absolutely love them) while playing Multiplayer, for reasons folks can imagine I'm sure. I'm currently playing on a solo save but I have cheese readily available so I haven't fallen back in love with them yet; I'll definitely have to make a point of not disregarding them if and when I next fire up a fresh save file.

I think chopping Trees (but not the stumps) gives you a lot of Foraging experience early on at not too high energy expenditure, but you'll be forgoing some g accumulation from Fishing to instead spend that Energy on chopping.
You can spend all energy on fishing , eat forageables like spring onion and chopping trees . Also you can spend half energy on fishing and half on chopping . This way you not losing any money , receive foraging exp and wood for crafting and building . I personally use both methods depends on situation .

Salty1

Planter
Pancakes are still pretty useful even at level 10 foraging btw. You get an extra berry for every 4th level in foraging, so while you get three berries per bush at level 10, you get four berries per bush at level 12. Very cheap and easy to make for the value that the buff yields.