Does Shane's shirt say 'Z' or '2'?

Isa730

Rancher
This is an extremely important question; I've been staring at him for longer than I'd like to admit and I just can't figure it out.

1653321543105.png

From my understanding, his shirt is based on the jersey of the Seattle Sounders, but the number would be on the back which leads me to believe it's a 'Z' and either stands for "Zuzu City Tunnelers" or "Zulily" (I assume the first, but imagine how funny that would be).

1653321805488.png
1653321822453.png

The thought that it might not be a 2 only passed my mind today so I wanted to know what everyone else thought. Side note but I also love that the sample image says Morris. :joja:

You can tailor it with pepper poppers! It's called Tunnelers Jersey and the description says it's a jersey for the zuzu city tunnelers. Shane loves pepper poppers and sometimes sends them as a gift in the mail. And one of his heart events is taking you to watch them play. That doesn't explain if it's a z or a 2 though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Original artwork for the game had Shane with a Tunneler's number on his jersey but then he also had longer hair of a different color so goingg with the theme of 'Shane has completely changed', I'll say it has the 'Z' logo on it.

Except, it kinda doesn't look much like a Z.

So really he just bought a cheap knockoff Ghostbusters shirt. OK, maybe Adidas.

Isa730

Rancher
I think it's a z. If you look at the portrait, the top is visible and it's a straight line.
Holy crap, this response has both saved and ruined my life. I'll now spend every interaction with my husband wondering if it truly is straight. :cry: This is some concrete stuff though, so thank you!!

BiaShun

Greenhorn
I think it's a 2.
download.jpg

In Shane's very first portrait (this one above), you can see the shirt has a 10 on it. Eric might've changed it to a 2 because a 10 wouldn't be visible under Shane's Joja-Corp jacket, or it wouldn't fit on Shane's sprite.

In the actual portrait, the top is mostly flat, but you can see the tips curving downwards, so I'm guessing it's a 2.
Stardew Valley Walkthrough / Guide - Characters: Shane

Could be a Z for the Zuzu City Tunnelers, but not sure why it would have a letter and not a number, since sports t-shirts usually have a number on the front/back.

Isa730

Rancher
In Shane's very first portrait (this one above), you can see the shirt has a 10 on it. Eric might've changed it to a 2 because a 10 wouldn't be visible under Shane's Joja-Corp jacket, or it wouldn't fit on Shane's sprite.
This is actually quite compelling, particularly the part about changing to a 2 for visibility! I hesitate to believe that this couldn't have been changed, though; the pictures you sent alone really illustrate just how much Shane's character design flipped, and given that there was a point where Shane was "depressified" (added the 5 o'clock shadow and tattered the Joja sweater) we know Eric has changed even the littlest things. That being said, I don't see why he would change from a number to a letter. I'm starting to think I'll have to talk to the man himself.

I agree with what you said though, about the slight curvature. The image of the jersey I sent earlier in the thread had the number on the back, however, and that was supposedly the one Shane's jersey was modeled after, which is what brought upon my suspicion in the first place!

Isa730

Rancher
I just went to see the Tunnelers with Shane and noticed, because of this question, that the other fans seem to have numbers of their shirts. So I’m going with a 2.
Oh...my...Yoba......Every time I check in on this thread again it feels like a slap in the face, I absolutely love it.

1653844494957.png

12 and 9.

And it follows this theory too!! I really think this might be the answer. Thank you guys for your hard work and solid evidence. :heart: