Do friendship points decrease when you don't pet animals? (like sheep , chicken)

ISSsloth

Farmer
Yes, not petting an animal will lose you between 5 and 10 friendship. According to the wiki, animals that already have a higher friendship will lose less, so at higher levels the loss can be negated by letting them eat grass outside. In the later game, there is the auto-petter machine, obtained from joja-mart or rare loot in the skull caverns. This will pet your animals slightly less effectively than petting them by hand, but will prevent the friendship loss of not petting them.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Animals also have a mood loss from not petting them which over time will give you slowly deceasing quality animal produce (Milk, Wool, Eggs, etc.). This is not counteracted by the Autopetter so it something to consider when going that route in later game.

I've been testing going Autopetter-only for about 2.5 seasons and while all animals have full hearts, their products are variable quality from :silverstar: to :goldstar: to :iristar: instead of mostly or all :iristar:. As I process those in machines (well, when I remember to) this quality reduction isn't a big concern but something to consider if getting mostly Iridium quality is important to you.

SweeRy

Greenhorn
Animals also have a mood loss from not petting them which over time will give you slowly deceasing quality animal produce (Milk, Wool, Eggs, etc.). This is not counteracted by the Autopetter so it something to consider when going that route in later game.

I've been testing going Autopetter-only for about 2.5 seasons and while all animals have full hearts, their products are variable quality from :silverstar: to :goldstar: to :iristar: instead of mostly or all :iristar:. As I process those in machines (well, when I remember to) this quality reduction isn't a big concern but something to consider if getting mostly Iridium quality is important to you.

SweeRy

Greenhorn
Yes, not petting an animal will lose you between 5 and 10 friendship. According to the wiki, animals that already have a higher friendship will lose less, so at higher levels the loss can be negated by letting them eat grass outside. In the later game, there is the auto-petter machine, obtained from joja-mart or rare loot in the skull caverns. This will pet your animals slightly less effectively than petting them by hand, but will prevent the friendship loss of not petting them.
thanks

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
ISSsloth pretty much already answered the question though I will add on some additional info and clarifications of answers
This is not counteracted by the Autopetter so it something to consider when going that route in later game.
This is counteracted by the autopetter, the autopetter gives the full amount of mood from petting as manually petting does
I've been testing going Autopetter-only for about 2.5 seasons and while all animals have full hearts, their products are variable quality from :silverstar: to :goldstar: to :iristar: instead of mostly or all :iristar:
Animals never produce only iridium quality, I think your correlation may have come around by not having an animal specific profession (you will see a LOT more iridium quality goods with profession like coopmaster than without)
higher levels the loss can be negated by letting them eat grass outside
Basically anything past 1 heart will allow for maintaining and gaining friendship by just eating grass
Blue grass allows for no petting needed at all and will gain friendship faster than even petting alone (though both stack and regular grass also stacks with petting)

Also just good information to know in general, the autopetter does allow for gaining friendship, it's just slower than manually petting
The autopetter friendship and manual friendship do stack, but only to a limit, you will only ever gain 15 friendship from petting which is the same amount of friendship you gain from manually petting alone, though you will get double the mood boost
you can also get a small amount of friendship from manually harvesting goods off of certain animals (sheep, cow, goat), though this is pretty marginal and definitely not worth forgoing an autograbber for

Lew Zealand

Helper
ISSsloth pretty much already answered the question though I will add on some additional info and clarifications of answers

This is counteracted by the autopetter, the autopetter gives the full amount of mood from petting as manually petting does

Animals never produce only iridium quality, I think your correlation may have come around by not having an animal specific profession (you will see a LOT more iridium quality goods with profession like coopmaster than without)
Thanks for the correction, I'm going to have to test this again as I've never gone Rancher as Artisan always seemed to match my play style. It really did seem that I was getting almost all Iridium Ostrich Eggs before getting the Autopetter and now I'm regularly getting a mix of Silver, Gold, and Iridium. I only have half a season before Winter which will prevent them getting Blue Grass, so I'll need to try this out next Spring.

SweeRy

Greenhorn

Basically anything past 1 heart will allow for maintaining and gaining friendship by just eating grass
Blue grass allows for no petting needed at all and will gain friendship faster than even petting alone (though both stack and regular grass also stacks with petting)

Also just good information to know in general, the autopetter does allow for gaining friendship, it's just slower than manually petting
The autopetter friendship and manual friendship do stack, but only to a limit, you will only ever gain 15 friendship from petting which is the same amount of friendship you gain from manually petting alone, though you will get double the mood boost
you can also get a small amount of friendship from manually harvesting goods off of certain animals (sheep, cow, goat), though this is pretty marginal and definitely not worth forgoing an autograbber for
thanks!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Thanks for the correction, I'm going to have to test this again as I've never gone Rancher as Artisan always seemed to match my play style. It really did seem that I was getting almost all Iridium Ostrich Eggs before getting the Autopetter and now I'm regularly getting a mix of Silver, Gold, and Iridium. I only have half a season before Winter which will prevent them getting Blue Grass, so I'll need to try this out next Spring.
Yeah definitely do, I know I can corroborate this information though as my eggs all have the same quality ratio (slightly above an average 1109g per golden egg with coopmaster) - which exactly correlates to the my calculations assuming max friendship and mood

Rhiannon

Farmer

OH wow! I didn't know this. I've been hoping for the days when I could get some auto-petters but if they don't keep those relationships up, which does matter to me, then I'll not worry about it.