dino floors

elliewellie

Greenhorn
what’s the chance of getting a prehistoric floor in the skill cavern? and what’s the chance of finding ancient seeds in the like grass things because i heard that was a thing?? 😿

HaleyRocks

Farmer
what’s the chance of getting a prehistoric floor in the skill cavern? and what’s the chance of finding ancient seeds in the like grass things because i heard that was a thing?? 😿
2.2% chance to get a prehistoric (dino) floor, while descending the Skull Caverns, at level 7 onwards. VERY slim chance. By the time you hit that "milestone", you will most probably have already fished or dug out a Dinosaur egg from the Mountains artifact spots or by breaking a Treasure Trove open and an ancient seed is found easily, by killing lots of flying insects in large numbers (sewers and mines levels 20+ to 30, work well).

The best timing to actively hunt prehistoric floors, for the Monster Slayer quest mostly (Pepper Rex), is when you have already built many Crystallariums and produce lots of Jades, for trading with staircases. Then, at lucky days, go eat a lucky lunch and start descending... If you meet no dino floor, just reset your day, rinse and repeat.

Pepper Rex can randomly and rarely appear in normal floors, but in single units (and i have never found an egg from those ones).

P.S. Beware the iridium bats on those floors, they can make really short work on you, unless you have Powerful Trinket(s), strong food, or ideally both!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
They're predetermined, prehistoric floors will only appear on certain levels during certain days (though even on those floors it isn't guaranteed as the layout of each floor is still random and some layouts cannot be prehistoric floors)

If on pc I would recommend using a predictor like the mouseypound stardew predictor to see what floors are prehistoric. If you're doing something like grinding the 50 dinos for the monster eradication goal, you'll want a day where the prehistoric floors from around floor 8-15 and then just reset it over and over by going down, killing everything, leaving the cavern, reentering, and repeating.

As Haleyrocks already mentioned, your best bet for the ancient seed is killing bugs. Ideally using monster musk and/or the burglar ring if they're available to you. To actually kill the bugs as fast as possible just reset elevator floors ending in 5, that's 35,25,15,5 and kill bugs without getting too sidetracked.
It shouldn't take you more than a couple days unless you're really unlucky, and remember, if you spend a whole day looking for it and don't get it, you can always reset the day and try again, you'll get different drops.

Maher

Farmer
If on pc I would recommend using a predictor like the mouseypound stardew predictor to see what floors are prehistoric. If you're doing something like grinding the 50 dinos for the monster eradication goal, you'll want a day where the prehistoric floors from around floor 8-15 and then just reset it over and over by going down, killing everything, leaving the cavern, reentering, and repeating.
I would add that the predictor works well for iOS as well. The exact floor may deviate by one, but it's always there.

Farmerbro

Farmhand
Did you know if you put a dinosaur egg in the incubator it will hatch a baby dinosaur that would give you more dinosaur eggs they can be turned into dinosaur mayonnaise. and they go up to iridium quality when you have the artifact appraisal guide a iridium quality one can go for almost 2000g

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I would add that the predictor works well for iOS as well. The exact floor may deviate by one, but it's always there.
It doesn't work as well with IOS being on 1.5 now, when it's updated to 1.6 It'll work properly

I didn't want to mention it because it hasn't really been working for me with mobile behind an update. If it works for prehistoric floors that's great