Decorative grass starter

yamajac

Greenhorn
I don't want my animals to eat my grass, and I want it to stay even in winter. I want to place down grass to make my farm look pretty but it keeps disappearing every winter.

I'd love to see a decorative grass starter. Maybe in the furniture catalogue? Maybe as a crafted floor tile that takes a grass starter? Idk but I really need this. :(

Lew Zealand

Helper
If a Mod could let you use Flooring outside, then you could have a good time mixing and matching these:

Maybe with a dash of this:

and a little of:

OK maybe not that last bit...

Hill Myna

Farmer
I like this suggestion a lot!

A few questions I had:
  • How would you differentiate between regular Grass and Decorative Grass?
    • Possible solution: Decorative Grass could have flowers/other plants in it. I think that would look pretty! Maybe there could be different types of Decorative Grass?
  • Would it spread like regular Grass?
  • If you Scythe it, would it give Hay?
Fiber Seeds are the closest thing we have at the moment. They look similar enough to grass, last through all the seasons (including Winter), and don't need watering. You still need a Scarecrow, but they're easy to tuck into a corner somewhere nearby. I like using them in my designs.
Decorative grass starter image.png

yamajac

Greenhorn
I like this suggestion a lot!

A few questions I had:
  • How would you differentiate between regular Grass and Decorative Grass?
    • Possible solution: Decorative Grass could have flowers/other plants in it. I think that would look pretty! Maybe there could be different types of Decorative Grass?
  • Would it spread like regular Grass?
  • If you Scythe it, would it give Hay?
Fiber Seeds are the closest thing we have at the moment. They look similar enough to grass, last through all the seasons (including Winter), and don't need watering. You still need a Scarecrow, but they're easy to tuck into a corner somewhere nearby. I like using them in my designs.

1. I like the idea of different grasses. Maybe one for each season and then a handful of flowery ones too? Sounds fun.
2. I just want it for purely decorative purposes so spreading would be counterproductive. I want it where I want it and nowhere else.
3. Again, it's just decorative. I think it might even be better if it were harvested with a pick/axe rather than scythe too, just to prevent accidents with the sword.

Fiber seeds look OK but I don't personally like the tilled soil under it. I'm partial to the full coverage you get with the grass. I just want it year round instead of having to replant.