Creating own translations for the game.

phqnix

Greenhorn
Hello folks!
My wife and i have started playing Stardew valley, but it gets a little tough for my wife, since she ain't good at english.
I was wondering if it's possible to translate the game to danish, by my self.
Does any1 know if it's possible? I saw a mod years ago which allowed ppl to do so, but i think that 1 was outdated.
Any help would be appreciated.

Quirinea

Farmer

Quirinea

Farmer
Yeah. I've translated the whole game. There is a lot of text, worth a good-sized novel, better take that into account. In itself that is not technically hard, only the thing that it is all in a messy-looking json-files and you have to find the parts to be translated from there and then get all the file calls correctly (I always need umpteen rounds of adding and removing commas, brackets and such).
Actually if I did not misunderstand, the next version of SDV is going to have an empty language slot for mod translations.
As for translation mods, there has been at least some attempts for e.g. Vietnamese and Icelandic.

I am so sorry...
Not very dangerous.
I don't know if here is a spot to tell what pronouns you wish to use (anyway Finnish sensibly has just "hän" for a person).

Yeah. I've translated the whole game. There is a lot of text, worth a good-sized novel, better take that into account. In itself that is not techn

Not very dangerous.
I don't know if here is a spot to tell what pronouns you wish to use (anyway Finnish sensibly has just "hän" for a person).
Here in America. We do not have neutral pronouns like French (on).
Otherwise, we would use "they" to address "he/she".

phqnix

Greenhorn
Yeah. I've translated the whole game. There is a lot of text, worth a good-sized novel, better take that into account. In itself that is not technically hard, only the thing that it is all in a messy-looking json-files and you have to find the parts to be translated from there and then get all the file calls correctly (I always need umpteen rounds of adding and removing commas, brackets and such).
Actually if I did not misunderstand, the next version of SDV is going to have an empty language slot for mod translations.
As for translation mods, there has been at least some attempts for e.g. Vietnamese and Icelandic.

Not very dangerous.
Ok thanks alot, also for the "text size warning".
So if i understand this correctly. It's possible to only edit .json files for changing dialogues, without having to touch .xnb? Then afterwards use the content packer.
If understanded correctly, do you by any means have the standard english .json files i can edit? :)

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't see you posted in the finnish translation discussion.

Last edited:

Quirinea

Farmer
I was just discussing with someone concerning an .xnb I was not extract with a tool version I had then and posting game files is questionable.
You have to tinker with CP anyway, so usinng the tool to exctract the files is not hard. If you look at the game files, there are a bunch of language versions for most.
Type "Abigail.json" for English and then Abigail.fr-FR.json for French etc.
BTW, it is not wise to replace the English files with something else. Probably not a problem with dialogue, but for e.g. objects the translation files have an extra field for the translation and the English name of the object is used for reference in code. I wrote on top of Hungarian.

phqnix

Greenhorn
I was just discussing with someone concerning an .xnb I was not extract with a tool version I had then and posting game files is questionable.
You have to tinker with CP anyway, so usinng the tool to exctract the files is not hard. If you look at the game files, there are a bunch of language versions for most.
Type "Abigail.json" for English and then Abigail.fr-FR.json for French etc.
BTW, it is not wise to replace the English files with something else. Probably not a problem with dialogue, but for e.g. objects the translation files have an extra field for the translation and the English name of the object is used for reference in code. I wrote on top of Hungarian.
I see.
I kinda hoped to be able to do a copy of the english files, and overwrite the "Hu" or "Ru" instead.
I guess if i only edit the Hu or Ru files for the text, won't i encounter problems in-game if i choose Hungarian localization (If that's where i've done the translations). I mean, the dialogues would be changed to my desired language. But what about all the other text for items etc?.

Im not sure i've explained it well enough? I just mean, if i in-game choose Hungarian language (The dialogues i changed to danish). Won't i encounter other problems, such as item names in hungarian + All other text besides dialogues?

Quirinea

Farmer
Hmmm. That might be a problem. If you just wish to translate the dialogue and do not wish to publish it as a mod (at least now), I'd recommend taking nevertheless something else (Russian or anything else not written in Latin alphabet is not a good idea,I suspect; maybe German) and then making the calls so that the translated comes instead of English (especially if your wife does not know e.g. German or French, then that might be an idea) .
My typical call line is:
{
"Action": "Load",
"Target": "Characters/Dialogue/Abigail",
"FromFile": "CharactersDialogue/Abigail-fi-FI.xnb",
when: {
"Language": "hu"
}
},

But say that you wish that the Danish comes into the game in English and do not wish to pack the files the call would be e.g.

{
"FromFile": "CharactersDialogue/Abigail-da-DA.json",
},

phqnix

Greenhorn
Hmmm. That might be a problem. If you just wish to translate the dialogue and do not wish to publish it as a mod (at least now), I'd recommend taking nevertheless something else (Russian or anything else not written in Latin alphabet is not a good idea,I suspect; maybe German) and then making the calls so that the translated comes instead of English (especially if your wife does not know e.g. German or French, then that might be an idea) .
My typical call line is:
{
"FromFile": "CharactersDialogue/Abigail-fi-FI.xnb",
when: {
"Language": "hu"
}
},

But say that you wish that the Danish comes into the game in English and do not wish to pack the files the call would be e.g.

{
"FromFile": "CharactersDialogue/Abigail-da-DA.json",
},
After many errors in the content patcher, i finally got my .json working. I had to actually use "Action": "EditData" instead.
With the lines you sent, it would say my .json wasn't valid? No clue why though.
Atleast im getting started now.
Again thanks so much for helping a newbie getting into this "big" project (For me atleast).

Quirinea

Farmer
After many errors in the content patcher, i finally got my .json working. I had to actually use "Action": "EditData" instead.
With the lines you sent, it would say my .json wasn't valid? No clue why though.
Atleast im getting started now.
Again thanks so much for helping a newbie getting into this "big" project (For me atleast).
Cannot say what is wrong (and I've countless times been staring at my own code not seeing what is wrong). Anyway, that was a single entry from a long content.json (missing e.g. initialisation), but the "packet" should be there anyway. . EditData soundsclumsy if you are tying to replace the contents of whole files instead of individual lines