Compilation of most confusing rules

Kbumpious

Newcomer
After going through about 500 posts between BGG and the SDV forums, I have made a list of answers to questions I’ve seen that were not initially intuitive to me. I hope to print these notes out and keep them with my game. Hope these notes and clarifications are helpful for others out there. Cole answered almost all of the questions I saw on the forums over the past few years which is very awesome of him. I’m super impressed with his dedication! Feel free to correct anything I have wrong, suggest rewording, or add your own items below. Thanks!

Stardew Valley Board game rules notes:

GENERAL
  1. End of turn phase happens for each player.
  2. The cost of an action can be thought of as a door entry fee.
  3. Breaking omni geode and rolling a heart gives an artifact AND mineral
  4. Fiber/trash aren’t very useful, but aren’t completely useless
  5. Wild artifacts/minerals can not be moved after donated to museum.
  6. If you discard a villager with the mermaid pendant, they take the pendant with them.
  7. Hoe allows X number of stacked seeds. A stacked seed is one that is placed on another seed and not directly on the game board. There is no max number of seeds on a given square though so with an iron hoe, you could have 3 parsnips in the #2 slot. 2 of them would be considered “stacked”.

ITEM MANAGEMENT
  8. “Keep” events can be traded during planning phase.
  9. If you draw an item and already have 2 items, you must choose which item to discard without using.
  10. Shipping bin building can be used to make room when gaining a 7th resource instead of having to discard.
  11. Epic items can be traded between players during the planning phase
  12. Any resources or items can be discarded at any time
  13. Hearts/gold/stone is not limited by number of physical game-pieces, but all other resources are. Any discarded tiles from supply tray should be replaced back in the supply to be used again as needed. However, non-legendary fish and artifacts/minerals should not be returned to their bags.

SEASON CARD & EVENTS
  14. Pet token and play moves clockwise
  15. The shipping bin icon on the season card allows selling/trading. This is so items can be sold by certain players to take advantage of selling benefits a specific player has.
  16. Event rewards go to the player with the animal token.
  17. Gold star on season card means flip any one planted crop to the quality

FISHING
  18. Iridium Rod rerolls could be rerolling all 3 dice once, one die three times, or anything in between.
  19. If you fish and only get a crab pot fish, you do not get to take trash from the fishing track.
  20. Upgrades with “Before Fishing,” allow no fish track replenishment until after the fishing action is complete.
  21. Fishing profession barbed hook synergizes with treasure hunter.

OTHER
  22. Train passing through event - gain wood from discard if possible.
  23. Livin off the land card is only for crops in season. Has no effect in winter.
  24. Pet Bowl item - you MAY discard the item and take the hearts, but you can also wait and let it fill more.
  25. Foraging proficiency axe take one wood from the board. If no wood on the board, you get no wood.
  26. When using an item that grants extra movement like horse or Joja cola, you may pick up a foragable along each path you take.
  27. When water shortage joja tile is in play, you cannot water a single crop that would move it into an occupied field even if you have the upgraded hoe.
  28. Bombs can be used at the mine as long as your player pawn is located there. They can be used before your first action, between actions, or after your last action.
  29. Retaining soil synergizes with upgraded watering can when both are used by same player. Sprinkler does not synergize with watering can. (Another response from Cole says only the watering action at the farm benefits from the watering can - contradictory? I need clarification. Are there other items that do synergize with the watering can?)