Writing Character Aging

Hughesi

Greenhorn
I think a change to the game over in game years keeps it fresh for late game players. Although I think changes shoudnt directly affect the storyline as many players who spend say all the time farming and mining might miss out on story changes. Im thinking this over a number of years.
It doesnt make sense that nobody ages as time goes on, in the world it could be explained that "the witch placed the valley in a timelock where nobody ages" (if this is something i have missed lmk). Likewise there always the much darker theory of the war and the entire valley is a dream of sorts. But I think it would still be cool for character aging. Also has non-village characters.
- Players Child, I think after the child has grown to say 5 years, it will follow you around the farm, or its mother, play around the farm. when it is say 10 it does odd jobs that the spouse can do, for example collect eggs, feed animals, water the greenhouse.
- Vincent / Jas. after a few years they become older kids, and then teenagers. The cutscenes are near identical except the sprite and exact wording changes, vincent under the constant stress of school starts to rebel, and imitates sebastian or sam. Jas starts to help marnie around the house more.
(Note, the romanceables story line is based on you not marrying them)
Alex - alex realises he isnt going pro, and so spend a year not caring, being a sloth and eating, after a year he starts going to the gym and being a trainer, he also takes part in the tuesday yoga sessions. As evelyn and george get old he starts to care for them, going to pierres once or twice a week for their shopping. he will sometimes go on walks with george / evelyn.
Emily - emily realises her parents wont return and starts to be a mother figure to haley. also she stops working at stardrop and her house gets an extension, where she sells clothing to the player.
Haley - haley becomes a pro photographer, and at some festivals her artwork is sold, if you display you artwork in the house and marry her, im sure there can be a dialogue where haley brings it up.
Shane - I dont want to touch shanes storyline as he deals with some tough stuff.
Leah - leah sets up a small cabin to the side of her house, she sells her artwork, like haley if she sees her artwork and you married her there should be a dialogue.
Abigail - becomes a streamer and becomes kinda famous, occasionally upon going into pierres there will be paparazzi in the shop taking pics (wont block pathways for you, but might be a nuisance to villagers.
Seb - i dont speak to seb and dont know much about his lore
Harvey - spends one day a week in he city to expand his knowledge, a city doctor will take his place, giving the doctor a gift will come with the dialogue "i will pass this along to harvey when he returns".
Elliot - becomes an author, sets up a bookshop, not like the bookseller, but like selling cosmetic stuff.
Penny - goes to the city once a week and becomes an officail teacher. builds a school (say behind the museum or on the hill behind pierres). where she teacher vincent and jas.
Maru - becomes a scientist, expands the lab in the mountain, works with her dad. she will occasionally send you stuff the test out, can also be a way to access extra stuff, like she creates a portal, going inside gives you 10 irl minutes to fight off hard monsters and get rewards, getting to the portal means you keep your stuff, otherwise you are pulled back into the lab and lose a bunch of stuff. maybe costs money to access and a challenge to set up in the first place.
Sam sets up a small stand in the town center where he finds his love of music and sells CD's. after some time sets up more officail shop elsewhere
Non-romancables now typically start getting dull hair and more wrinkles
Linus - Linus lives a simple life, but maybe one year he packs up and moves his tent to somewhere else on the map, maybe every five years or so, you will get a message in the mail saying he moved and where to. but its not fully random, say theres 5 spots he can pick, maybe a spot on the beach, a spot in cindersnap, east of the town, a few places rlly.
Pam: stops drinking as much and works on herself, penny tutors her.
Caroline - sells tea in the shop
Lewis - starts to funnel taxes into the town (as he should be)
George is old enough, cant really age him and more
Wizard - does nothing anyway, but maybe starts to go outside more
marine - expands her farm converts a part of cindersnap into a mini-farm (no you cant farm her stuff)
clint - learns how to mine himself, once a week will close shop and gather materials, lowers cost
evelyn - becomes less active in the town. can be seen sitting down taking it in (will knit or drink tea)
jodi - has another child with kent. also starts to do more for the town and do what evelyn did
willy - gets a small rowing boat and fishes off shore sometimes for "better fish", cheaper fish as he has more stuff. can also be seen taking a nap in it if he goes up / down the river. to get his attention (talk / gift) go to edge of river and interact, he will wake up talk to you (shout), to gift you throw the thing at him and he catches
robin - creates a sawmill to the left of her house in the corner, she will spend her days cutting down wood and refining it easier, acts as woodchipper if player doesnt have one, also faster and can be done in bulk
gus - starts to sell craft beer, so funky flavours, slight increase in price, but extra buffs.
sandy - expands the shop and creates a petrol station / motel in the desert. (expand the map on the west side). player can now sleep in the desert for 100g / night?
pierre - expands shop anyway. starts to try online shopping. he delivers stuff to you the day after you order something from the phone.
demitrius - makes a scientfic breakthrough and supplies the town with medicine and better fertiliser
kent - has a child with jodi, goes to yoga and the gym. starts to do army like training with vincent
gunther - you can now friend him, he gets a life. can be seen walking around town on his day off looking at artifact spots and examining with a magnifying glass, will also go to adventur guild. which is also now another small bar.
marlon - also gets a life and can occasionally be seen in random floors of the mine, talking to him he gives you a gift.
gil - now goes around town more, every festival with outsiders gil can be seen talking to an older lady, there is romantic tension between them, will go to the community center occasionally to relax
morris - after being ousted from town sets up an oil rig off shore willys boat now gives the option between ginger island and the oil rig. going to the oil rig its a huge structure, about the size of pelican town. with a large joja mart shop, and full of busy workers, apart from the now ludicrously expensive shop where its only use is wednesdays and joja merch, its a pretty dope place. a few quest could be there.

Last edited: