Catch only Trash

kattytech

Greenhorn
I've been playing SDV on my iPad mini for a while now. I prefer it to the PC. Anyway, this new run I'm doing on the Forest Farm was going great until I hit Summer, and for some reason, I can't catch any fish -- all I catch is trash, no matter where I fish or what day even on Very Happy days. Does anyone have a suggestion? I've saved and closed and completely closed, even deleted the app and reinstalled the save. Nothing helps. Thanks

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Fishing upon bodies of water, found inside the farm area's map, always result into catching trash. At least in my Normal map, i was never able to fish anything else at all, no matter season or time of the day. I might be wrong or mistaken, though.

Ereo

Helper
What’s your fishing level? Which fishing rod are you using? How far do you cast from land tiles? And after how many trash catches do you give up and go somewhere else?

kattytech

Greenhorn
What’s your fishing level? Which fishing rod are you using? How far do you cast from land tiles? And after how many trash catches do you give up and go somewhere else?
Okay, Fishing Level 6
Training Rod
Mid-Max casting from land/dock
12 trash/algae/seaweed catches in a row and I move to see if it's my location
Any day, any weather, any Fortune forecast, same ol' trash

Ereo

Helper
Stop using the training rod. It fixes your bar at fishing level 5 so it’s not useful to you anymore. It will also replace all more difficult fish you catch with algae or seaweed (which count as fish, not trash, by the way).

luck does not influence fishing, except for the chance to catch treasure chests.

Ereo

Helper
But even with the training rod, you ought to catch fish every now and then. 12 trash/algae/seaweed catches in a row can't be normal.
Some of the locations/weather conditions will only have fish that are too difficult for the training rod in summer. Only 7 of the 16 available fish (not counting legendary) are catchable with the training rod. Since the more difficult ones are replaced by algae, the chance is not that low.

besides, random chances don’t check back how manny you caught before. You can get really unlucky with random number generators.

Maher

Sodbuster
I'd say it's time for the fiberglass rod at level 6. If I remember right, that's the first one you can use bait with. Hang out by the Mountain Lake, fish, and when you run out of bait, just go kill some cave insects and craft some. One can do that at level 6, right?

I'd say it's time for the fiberglass rod at level 6. If I remember right, that's the first one you can use bait with. Hang out by the Mountain Lake, fish, and when you run out of bait, just go kill some cave insects and craft some. One can do that at level 6, right?
Yep you get bait at level 2 fishing

Fishing upon bodies of water, found inside the farm area's map, always result into catching trash. At least in my Normal map, i was never able to fish anything else at all, no matter season or time of the day. I might be wrong or mistaken, though.
Only the standard farm has no fish. The riverland farm has river fish, the forest farm has forest fish including woodskip, the wilderness farm has mountain fish, ocean fish on the beach farm, etc.

@Ereo
@imnvs
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that. I've been fishing with the training rod only in the first few weeks of a save and didn't notice any difference on that front to the other rods.

ArtifactSpot

The training rod level is set at level 5. You are at level 6 and now naturally have a bigger bar than the training rod. You can also catch more unique fish now, but won’t with training rod. You need to get at least a fiberglass rod. Get some bait too or make your own with bug meat. If you are well off then get iridium rod. You will be able to use tackle then too.