Can somebody please explain to me...

HaleyRocks

Farmer
How to get the Legendary Fish, by Panning and having "Fisher" enchant?

1. Can all legendary fish be caught like that, or are there exceptions?
2. Does season/weather still dictate their appearance?
3. What quality will they be and can that be affected/changed somehow?

Wiki says "you need to do this before catching them normally with rod" and "you must pan at the correct tiles". Any details, specifics etc?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
How to get the Legendary Fish, by Panning and having "Fisher" enchant?
Sure, I wrote a bunch of the wiki on that part so I should have it down, or I'm wrong, the wiki's wrong, and you're out of luck, welp

1. Can all legendary fish be caught like that, or are there exceptions?
I believe you can get all but the crimsonfish because panning spots don't appear on the beach outside of the night market, and you can't catch the crimsonfish in winter or equip magic bait onto the pan

Don't quote me on this but there is a good chance 1.6.9 changes this so the beach can have panning spots outside of the festival
2. Does season/weather still dictate their appearance?
They have to be in the fishing loot pool, that is, you have to be able to catch that fish in that moment

I honestly don't remember if this extends to fishing level, though I don't think it would
3. What quality will they be and can that be affected/changed somehow?
They will always be normal quality, there is no way to change this

So in singleplayer you'll always be limited to 2 qualities, though you can have buddies join and fish more up for you
Wiki says "you need to do this before catching them normally with rod" and "you must pan at the correct tiles". Any details, specifics etc?
the first passage is one I wrote and admittidly it leaves a lot to be desired but it just means that - in simplest terms - the fish has to be in the fishing loot table to pan it up. When you fish a legendary fish up you can never catch it again. This means that you can pan the legendary fish up an unlimited amount of times, but as soon as you catch it with a rod you can never catch or pan the legendary with that character again (unless you edit the files to have never caught it but that's kind beside the point).

"Panning correct tiles" means you need to pan on the tiles you could catch a legendary fish, each has a certain area it can be caught and you need to have a panning spot in that area. For example, for the angler you can't just pan outside of Jodi's house, it has to be in the area you'd normally catch it.

hope this helps, I'm pretty sure all the info here that I haven't explicitly stated I'm not sure about is true. I'll list that stuff again though:
- I'm not sure whether fishing level affects the panning
- 1.6.9 may have a chance of changing the way the beach panning works so don't catch the crimsonfish yet

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Sure, I wrote a bunch of the wiki on that part so I should have it down, or I'm wrong, the wiki's wrong, and you're out of luck, welp

I believe you can get all but the crimsonfish because panning spots don't appear on the beach outside of the night market, and you can't catch the crimsonfish in winter or equip magic bait onto the pan

Don't quote me on this but there is a good chance 1.6.9 changes this so the beach can have panning spots outside of the festival

They have to be in the fishing loot pool, that is, you have to be able to catch that fish in that moment

I honestly don't remember if this extends to fishing level, though I don't think it would

They will always be normal quality, there is no way to change this

So in singleplayer you'll always be limited to 2 qualities, though you can have buddies join and fish more up for you

the first passage is one I wrote and admittidly it leaves a lot to be desired but it just means that - in simplest terms - the fish has to be in the fishing loot table to pan it up. When you fish a legendary fish up you can never catch it again. This means that you can pan the legendary fish up an unlimited amount of times, but as soon as you catch it with a rod you can never catch or pan the legendary with that character again (unless you edit the files to have never caught it but that's kind beside the point).

"Panning correct tiles" means you need to pan on the tiles you could catch a legendary fish, each has a certain area it can be caught and you need to have a panning spot in that area. For example, for the angler you can't just pan outside of Jodi's house, it has to be in the area you'd normally catch it.

hope this helps, I'm pretty sure all the info here that I haven't explicitly stated I'm not sure about is true. I'll list that stuff again though:
- I'm not sure whether fishing level affects the panning
- 1.6.9 may have a chance of changing the way the beach panning works so don't catch the crimsonfish yet
Thank you very much! As another forum member said, you are extremely helpful and knowledgeable! Much obliged!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I can just imagine it's hand fishing I guess. What a way to catch a legend tho.... Wait... I can see it now... Tanks full of each species of fish...
It’s an absolute pain though, like it’s something close to 10% with fisher to pan a fish and the legend is a 10% per cast in itself (and therefore 10% per pan)

so you’re going after a 1% chance while panning.
And that’s not even mentioning the fact that the panning spots not only have to appear on a single part of the map but ALSO only on a certain subset of tiles within that map OF WHICH SOME ARENT EVEN REACHABLE

My advice is upgrade your pan to max for that sweet reach and wait for a day where a panning spot appears basically instantly (you can use a predictor to find this), then just reset the day however many times and hope to yoba you aren’t unlucky

LRangerR

Local Legend
It’s an absolute pain though, like it’s something close to 10% with fisher to pan a fish and the legend is a 10% per cast in itself (and therefore 10% per pan)

so you’re going after a 1% chance while panning.
And that’s not even mentioning the fact that the panning spots not only have to appear on a single part of the map but ALSO only on a certain subset of tiles within that map OF WHICH SOME ARENT EVEN REACHABLE

My advice is upgrade your pan to max for that sweet reach and wait for a day where a panning spot appears basically instantly (you can use a predictor to find this), then just reset the day however many times and hope to yoba you aren’t unlucky
It's a project to be sure. A labor of love (or insanity (some will say they're the same thing)), but worth it to have a showcase room full of Legendary Sanctuaries.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
It's a project to be sure. A labor of love (or insanity (some will say they're the same thing)), but worth it to have a showcase room full of Legendary Sanctuaries.
Even one large fish tank with just legendaries would be such a cool sight, not to mention an insane flex if people actually understand what you did to get them