Windows [BUG] Game drifts to the bottom then offscreen only on Steam

aoihbeal

Newcomer
I play mod games I launch from a separate file but on my main Steam game, I log into to Steam, launch my SDV and it opens to then immediately drift down screen and not be able to keep on my monitor even from the bottom icon! It started yesterday and today it is still the same!! WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?? The mod games are fine it is only on Steam I have a problem.

Odin

Staff member
Are you able to share a screenshot of this issue?

Without a screenshot, it sounds like it might be a resolution issue, I would recommend deleting the game’s startup_preferences file. Here’s where to find it:
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/.
Once you've removed that file, relaunch the game. If that doesn't resolve the issue, please mention so!

TheMisoHylian!

Newcomer
Are you able to share a screenshot of this issue?

Without a screenshot, it sounds like it might be a resolution issue, I would recommend deleting the game’s startup_preferences file. Here’s where to find it:
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/.
Once you've removed that file, relaunch the game. If that doesn't resolve the issue, please mention so!
I'm having the same issue when i open the game the whole application gets dragged of the screen and my game has zero mods. this problem only happens when the game is on my monitor and when its on my actual computer screen its fine.

Last edited:

solcita

Greenhorn
I'm having the same issue when i open the game the whole application gets dragged of the screen and my game has zero mods. this problem only happens when the game is on my monitor and when its on my actual computer screen its fine.
I have the same issue too -- when I have the window on my separate monitor it sinks out of sight below my screen. If I'm quick enough I can catch it and drag it back to my laptop screen and it's fine there.

Cakeinator3000

Greenhorn
I am having the same issue when launching Stardew Valley from Steam, and not only does the window appear non-fullscreen and moves down and off screen completely on its own, like the other users' problems, my initial big picture setup no longer works as it once did with launching the game. As well as the window drift, the window comes up on my second monitor (not the one that steam's big picture mode is activated on) and is not full screen. I have brought up other games on steam with the same exact setup since this issue started and the launch is still done properly, i.e. they come up on the first monitor where big picture mode is activated and automatically in fullscreen and therefore this is an issue specific to Stardew Valley.

Stardew Valley's launch worked fine like my other games initially for the first few weeks. If it helps the context in which this problem started happening was when there was an emergency alarm going off at my apartment complex and I had to close my laptop while Stardew Valley was up and running (not just at the title screen but actively playing the game) to take it with me while I evacuated the building, so the problem could be due to a bad shut-down (even though when I opened my laptop again the game was fine). I only noticed the problem after I loaded the game up for a subsequent time. I have tried relaunching the game multiple times, shutting down and relaunching Steam multiple times, and restarting my laptop. I also do not have any mods and I just got the game a few weeks ago, and while the game is playable this is frustrating to deal with.

torchice

Newcomer
anyone fixing this bug? i have same issue, the first week was fine, but today its come to this bug, is it because of steamapi mods? because i delete it but still same result, i also using laptop and dual monitor.

DR1337FEET

Farmhand
If anyone else has this issue and doesn't want to close Stardew to fix it, here's what I did:
1.) Click on Stardew from your Taskbar, to make sure it's the active program.
2.) Windows key + D
3.) Windows key + D again will bring it back, and it will begin moving downward again.
4.) Before it moves offscreen, mash Windows key + up arrow to make it maximize and stop moving.