PC [bug]1.5.5 update makes game unplayable due to stuttering

tigs

Newcomer
Steam pushed this update and now both in windows mode and full screen the game stutters all over the place.

A relatively minor issue is that the windows key is now unusable in windowed mode (but still annoying).

I have no mods installed.

Ellipsoidal

Newcomer
I have the same issue. It doesn't stutter constantly, it just hitches occasionally when it needs to pan a little bit.

G-Sync had turned off on my main monitor somehow, and turning that back on cut down on it. Disabling v-sync in-game fixes the hitching entirely, but replaces it with a nearly constant scan-line/tearing effect that starts from the bottom third of screen and slowly works its way to the top before thickening into a much broader distortion, disappearing, and starting over from the bottom. Playing around with my settings more might eliminate that, but I never saw anything like this previously.

Update: Disconnecting the second, cheap monitor I use for work, and changing my main monitor's refresh rate from 60 Hz to 144 Hz eliminates the scan-lines. I still occasionally get minor hitches when the screen tries to scroll, particularly when an NPC enters the scene, but it's no longer as disruptive. With these settings, the v-sync setting in-game doesn't appear to make any difference. On or off, no distortions and the scrolling stutters once every couple of minutes.

Last edited:

tigs

Newcomer
Do you have v-sync enabled currently? If so, does disabling it fix this issue?
I have tried both with and without v-sync and I do not see a difference.

Edit to add: I just found the source of this question, and figured a few more hints for changes. As I posted in the other thread:

For windowed mode, turning off V-sync is worse, for fullscreen it makes no difference.

Turning on Radeon Advanced Sync (after turning V-sync off in-game) made it way better. It is not entirely solved but it feels like it might be playable like this.

/just for the record, I have a single monitor
//I also tried with and without advanced sync earlier, but without also turning off v-sync in-game that doesn't make the difference

Last edited: