Black Friday - any game recommendations?

haywud

Farmhand
Minecraft is best on console in my opinion. But of course you'd have to own a console *cough* Xbox Series X *cough*
I play on Xbox through Game Pass, and while I can't say for sure if it's better on console I will say I definitely prefer a controller over mouse and keyboard controls. I even gave the PC demo a try recently just to see what it was like, and I just couldn't get into the controls at all. I'm just not a mouse and keyboard person.

As I live in a teensy apartment and don't even have a TV to hook the console to, I suppose I'll have to bear it on the PC ;)
Even if you are stuck playing Minecraft on PC, I feel that can be a good thing especially if you want to use mods. As far as I know there is no mod support on consoles, at least not anymore anyway. There used to be an app on Xbox that allowed some Bedrock edition mods to be used, but for whatever reason Microsoft removed the app along with the second version of the app.

I just remembered about another really great indie game that is somewhat similar to SDV but has more in common with CA's new game. It's called Moonlighter and it is one of my favorite games. I believe it is pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if there is a PC version. It's worth checking at least.

I just remembered about another really great indie game that is somewhat similar to SDV but has more in common with CA's new game. It's called Moonlighter and it is one of my favorite games. I believe it is pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if there is a PC version. It's worth checking at least.
Update: It IS on Steam, and if you get in the next 25 hours then it is only 6 bucks! So, give it a try!

Odin

Staff member
I really like Littlewood which has plenty of similar things to Stardew, but is still interesting and unique on its own.
Glad someone else recommended it, based on what you say you like about Stardew Valley, Littlewood seems right up your alley! I would definitely second the recommendation for that one.

Also I will just say, for the discussion about what platform Minecraft is best played on... I suspect that has a lot more to do with what platform people are most comfortable/familiar playing games on. If Hexnessie only plays games on PC, I can't imagine they'd have any difficulty getting into Minecraft.

hexnessie said:
As I live in a teensy apartment and don't even have a TV to hook the console to, I suppose I'll have to bear it on the PC ;)
I wish I had a gaming-worthy PC, but I don't. I'm dirt poor.
However, unless you're using a laptop consoles can take up even less space. The Xbox Series S is rather small, and I just use my consoles on a PC monitor. I don't have a bunch of space either.

Also I will just say, for the discussion about what platform Minecraft is best played on... I suspect that has a lot more to do with what platform people are most comfortable/familiar playing games on. If Hexnessie only plays games on PC, I can't imagine they'd have any difficulty getting into Minecraft.
That's partially true. I don't have a gaming PC, but if I did I'd just plug in a controller.

haywud

Farmhand
I wish I had a gaming-worthy PC, but I don't. I'm dirt poor.
However, unless you're using a laptop consoles can take up even less space. The Xbox Series S is rather small, and I just use my consoles on a PC monitor. I don't have a bunch of space either.

That's partially true. I don't have a gaming PC, but if I did I'd just plug in a controller.
You're not the only one. My current PC cannot play modern games unless they have the requirements of something from about 10 years ago. Not only have I not upgraded anything in years, but I still run Windows 7 so even if my hardware was good enough I can't play anything that requires Windows 10.

Does Minecraft on PC even offer native controller input? I was looking into the PC version not too long ago, and I swear that you need a mod to properly use a controller. Maybe I read something wrong though.

hexnessie

Farmer
You're not the only one. My current PC cannot play modern games unless they have the requirements of something from about 10 years ago.
Yep, there's a reason I mostly buy old games via GOG rather than newest things (also I tend to sink into my games soul-first and focus on them intensely, so I want to be sure they are actually good before I commit to spending 1000 hours on them!)

My PC is actually pretty good for a 7-year old machine, as this is the same hardware I use for work (I work from home). It's easier and cheaper to fix up a PC with a new graphics card for gaming, faster HDD or even better CPU than to buy a completely new set of hardware.

You're not the only one. My current PC cannot play modern games unless they have the requirements of something from about 10 years ago. Not only have I not upgraded anything in years, but I still run Windows 7 so even if my hardware was good enough I can't play anything that requires Windows 10.

Does Minecraft on PC even offer native controller input? I was looking into the PC version not too long ago, and I swear that you need a mod to properly use a controller. Maybe I read something wrong though.
I feel you. My PC is even worse. It's an outdated laptop that wasn't even good when it came out. I got it to run the original Myst. Woo-hoo!

Yep, there's a reason I mostly buy old games via GOG rather than newest things (also I tend to sink into my games soul-first and focus on them intensely, so I want to be sure they are actually good before I commit to spending 1000 hours on them!)

My PC is actually pretty good for a 7-year old machine, as this is the same hardware I use for work (I work from home). It's easier and cheaper to fix up a PC with a new graphics card for gaming, faster HDD or even better CPU than to buy a completely new set of hardware.
I wish I had an upgradable PC, but laptops can't be improved much. I'll just have to buy new hardware in the future, but only when I absolutely need to since I use Xbox.
Can't you upgrade to an SSD though? They're much faster than HDDs, just more expensive.

Lew Zealand

Helper
The Java version of Minecraft does not have controller input and while it can be added with a mod, it's just not as seamless as you'd like. I'm not sure about the Windows 10 (Bedrock) version of MC but since it's the same version as on the XBox and many other consoles and portable devices, it would be a real oversight if it didn't have controller support.

Edit: I just looked it up and Bedrock (Windows 10) does have controller support so if that's your preferred mode of playing, then defo get the Bedrock version of Minecraft.

haywud

Farmhand
@hexnessie I also tend to stick with older games, no matter the platform. I never like buying games when they're new anyway, especially with the way so many modern games release with so many problems. I find it a little pointless to pay full price for games that might not work properly due to my hardware, might not work properly due to developer laziness, or just might not be good games.

@HomeintheValley12 I think I'll mostly stick with my Xbox and other consoles too. For one thing I hate all the different problems you can potentially run into on a PC. Not only do you have to meet the system requirements for games, but even then something like a driver or something really simple could keep a game from working (like my recent problem with Stardew Valley, but that's a story for another day lol). With consoles you just buy the right version of the game for the console you have, and play it.

@Lew Zealand Aw fudge. Guess I'm sticking to the Xbox version because the PC version I would want is Bedrock (since that's what I'm used to and since it has controller support) but I don't have Windows 10 so that's not an option.

@hexnessie I also tend to stick with older games, no matter the platform. I never like buying games when they're new anyway, especially with the way so many modern games release with so many problems. I find it a little pointless to pay full price for games that might not work properly due to my hardware, might not work properly due to developer laziness, or just might not be good games.

@HomeintheValley12 I think I'll mostly stick with my Xbox and other consoles too. For one thing I hate all the different problems you can potentially run into on a PC. Not only do you have to meet the system requirements for games, but even then something like a driver or something really simple could keep a game from working (like my recent problem with Stardew Valley, but that's a story for another day lol). With consoles you just buy the right version of the game for the console you have, and play it.

@Lew Zealand Aw fudge. Guess I'm sticking to the Xbox version because the PC version I would want is Bedrock (since that's what I'm used to and since it has controller support) but I don't have Windows 10 so that's not an option.
I play on Xbox too except for a few cases (Stardew currently being one). If I was rich perhaps the story would be different. Unfortunately, I'm certainly not rich.

haywud

Farmhand
I play on Xbox too except for a few cases (Stardew currently being one). If I was rich perhaps the story would be different. Unfortunately, I'm certainly not rich.
I'm just lucky to even have the game consoles that I have, and if not for Game Pass I probably wouldn't be playing that many games either. Even when I do get a gaming console, it's almost always around or after the next generation comes out. For example I didn't have my Xbox One until the Series X and S were already out. The last console I ever had at launch was the Gamecube, and if I'm not mistaken it was the only one I've ever had at launch.

gRabber

Newcomer
Hi, could anyone recommend a game that is similar to Stardew Valley? There are promos all over Steam and GOG right now and I thought I might stash up while I wait for ConcernedApe's new game.

What I generally like most about SDV:
- farming and crafting to make money, decorations and gifts
- grinding for resources (fishing, foraging, mining, fighting)
- building up the base, i.e. the farm - expanding, increasing in scope, clearing out debris, unlocking new areas
- the "time and resource management" aspect of early gameplay when you are struggling to get enough money for that single Cauliflower seed so you can plant it in time
- generally sweet and wholesome nature of the game, i.e. that I'm not playing as a nasty violent bully who intimidates people, humiliates others and steals their stuff
- friendship building with villagers that is not geared towards romance
- full Single Player experience

Have you played any games like that? They don't have to be about farming or even simulation, SF or fantasy setting is OK, I loved Skyrim for mostly the same reasons...
Yeah... I WISH you could have SEPERATE CURRENCIES, as a option, in shared worlds, like.... a bin for every player.